Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 from Earth to Aber-Toril?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  21:37:57  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

My friend and I started a little side campaign yesterday, in which we did up 2nd ed. stats for ourselves.

Me : S10, I14, W11, D12, C9, Ch13 with 4 Hp. and the Singing NWP
My Buddy : S9, I8, W8, D8, C9, Ch7 with 5 Hp. and the Swimming NWP

Now, we were out on a nature hike just the other day when we passed one of those trees where two trees grow out of a common stump that is barely visible aboce the soil. I warned my friend jokingly not to step between the trees or he'd be transported to fairyland, but he ignored my warning. A moment later he was gone. Despite all better judgement, I followed.

We appeared on a lonesome stretch of flatland between a great forest, far off in the distance to oneside, and a looming peaks off to the otherside. The skies were grey and a cold wind was blowing.

We could scarely believe what had happened, how we had been, what, been tranported to somewhere in the middle of nowhere?!?!? But we spotted a plume of smoke in the distance, and so quickly decidedd we would make for it.

As we neared we came to see a couple of over turned wagons, one of which had been burned and still smouldered, and numerous bodies strewn across the ground. Many of the bodies were of large men with thick bristling beards, nasty wounds scoring their bodies and broken ancient weapons, shields, and helms scattered about. As sickening a sight as this was, it was only made worse when we found the corpse of some gross piggish humanoid looking like something from out of a Tolkein movie.

As we stood dumb struck at the appearance of this thing, an ear piercing shriek broke the silence of the day. Before we knew it, a large "orc" or whatever these things were, this one over 6' and well over 200 lbs of muscle came charging at us from out behind one of the wagons. It ran head long into my friend, sending him reeling back and causing him to fall to the ground, before turning on me with upraised axe.

Naturally, while not unfamilair with physical confrontation, I was nevertheless quite panick stricken. I quickly turned and ran. And as I did I quickly noticed two things. One, it was following me, intent on killing me ... or worse. And two, a spear sat but 10' off. So, I darted to the spear enough ahead of the orc to take it up, turn, and plant it. And as luck had it, the orc impaled it's shoulder on the spear.

I also managed to evade a clumsy aimed blow and wrench the spear free of the orc, before my friend regained his feet and charged at the beasts back. While I didn't notice it at the time, he had taken up the remains of a spear, including the head and about 1' of shaft. Twice over however the beasts armor and sheer bullish fighting style kept it from any further wounds.

Fortunately for us, as big, as well armed, and as vicious and lethal as the "orc" was, it was simple and two dimensional in its attack. As the orc made a big -- and granted, intimidating -- show of pounding on its chest and howling, I called out to my friend to stay on the farside of it from me at all times.

It then turned to attack me. I attempt to hold it back with the length of the spear, but it struck it aside and would have split my skull if my buddy hadn't slammed it from behind, thus sending it off balance. It then turned on him and quickly battered aside the partial shield that he had also picked up. Before it could wound him however, I came charging in and with a lucky shot shoved the spear up the creatures arse. It skipped and jumped forward for a moment, yelping shamefully, and then fell to the ground, where it shook violently for a few moments before settling still.

With that, I felt waves of illness wash over me and broke out in a cold sweat, while my friend fell to his knees and began to vomit.

When we at last recovered ourselves, we scanvenged what we could from the surroundings. I took the battle axe, as well as some of the dirty animal skins worn by the dead orci. My friend found a dagger, acouple more broken spears, and of ocurse, the beltpouch on the belt of the orc we had killed. In addition, my buddy also carried a backpack in which he had a couple of big thermus', four sandwiches, and a box of thirty wooden matches.

So, with that we began to make our way along the trail that the wagons had been travelling along.

I'm hoping that, if we are indeed in somekind of D&D world, then my prayers to Tiw or the other deities of my folk will be heard and answered. Then again, maybe what I know in earth isn't transfereable to "here" ... wherever "here" is ...

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  22:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this a story you want to write, or a game you want to play? Or has it already been completed?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  22:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Is this a story you want to write, or a game you want to play? Or has it already been completed?

No, no. This is not a story I want to write. It maybe, maybe not a game I want to (continue) playing. And it has probably been completed, but might commence at some future point.

Additionally, while I have never taken the oppurtunity to read through it, I have heard of your Jack Archer. Likewise, Eric Boyds idea about vikings coming to Aber-Toril from Earth long ago via some gate in the middle of the ocean.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  22:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

Additionally, while I have never taken the oppurtunity to read through it, I have heard of your Jack Archer.

Well, I plan on doing a severe edit of that story, as well as placing it in a more readable formate (that is, not broken up by other posts). What's actually on Candlekeep isn't really nine pages long. The story just generated a lot of discussion, and I never thought to just update the story by editing the first post until well after the pattern was established.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  23:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I plan on doing a severe edit of that story, as well as placing it in a more readable formate (that is, not broken up by other posts). What's actually on Candlekeep isn't really nine pages long. The story just generated a lot of discussion, and I never thought to just update the story by editing the first post until well after the pattern was established.

It might be worth it. It certainly seems to have generated alot of interest.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  01:23:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should like to read it, myself, I've just not felt like wading thru all of the posts...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  03:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I should like to read it, myself, I've just not felt like wading thru all of the posts...

Yeah, that's the thing that's put me off, too. Call it names and malign it all you want, but places like Fanfiction.net have definite practical merits.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  04:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh? And here I thought it was you who was calling it names and maligning it. Or so one would guess, from all we ever see of your reviews.

Sounds like three votes for the collected version. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can. Mainly I just want to go through it and cut down on all the unnecessary words. (One thing that I noticed on a read-through was that I used far to many adjectives. )

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  05:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh? And here I thought it was you who was calling it names and maligning it. Or so one would guess, from all we ever see of your reviews.

FF.net? The problem lies mostly with the fanbrats/sub-literate simians on it and an unfortunate lack of quality control (hey, they get hundreds, if not thousands, of new entries per day; can't blame the webmaster for not wanting to hire a staff to proofread the things); the site itself offers excellent service (for something that charges you precisely zero cent) and exposure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000