Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 New Forum Functionality
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  18:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Two new functions were added to the forum today:

• Private Messages

• Members Posted

Private Messages

The first function is the largest change, however the usage is reasonably straightforward. On the top menu of the forum, you will see a Private Messages link. On this page, you will see your Private Message Inbox (you can also have both your Inbox and Outbox on the page at the same time by selecting the option in the Preferences section). From this page, you can compose and send, receive and manage your private messages.

In addition, the members page will now also show an icon to people who have allowed you to send them messages (to turn off the ability for people to send you messages, select the "disable" option in the preferences).

You can choose to be emailed when you receive a new message. However, whenever you sign on to the forum, you will see a pop-up Messenger-style box also.

Members Posted
This simple change will allow you to see which members have posted to a particular thread (and how many posts they have made to that thread). Simply click on the number in the "replies" column in each section.

We hope that these new functions are useful to you. If you experience any problems with the forum or have any questions, then please contact me.

Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Oct 2004 18:56:03

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  23:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

On the note of the Private Messaging, we have set an initial limit of 20 messages stored per user. Please ensure ye cleardown any unwanted messages periodically as this will aid keeping the storage table down to a reasonable size.

If performance is not effected, then we will likely increase this limit at a later date.

Thank ye. Enjoy

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  08:17:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are both useful features, Alaundo. Thank you.

I've missed having the opportunity of having a PM system here at Candlekeep... especially when I've wanted to continue on from points I may have made in a scroll which could possibly carry it off-topic.

Thank you again .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  09:05:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've missed having the opportunity of having a PM system here at Candlekeep... especially when I've wanted to continue on from points I may have made in a scroll which could possibly carry it off-topic.

Thank you again .

Well met

'tis a pleasure to be of assistance, Sage.

::mutters::
Now finally I won't have to hear the Sage harping on about Planescape and other matters not of the Realms

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  09:17:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Thank you again .

Well met

'tis a pleasure to be of assistance, Sage.

::mutters::
Now finally I won't have to hear the Sage harping on about Planescape and other matters not of the Realms

Ah hah! I knew it...! I knew there was a reason for you placing this new option here at Candlekeep... I knew it was something more than just an aspect of your "caring and giving nature"...

You're sneaky O Master Sage... very sneaky... You'd certainly make the 'loths jealous with your mastery of manipulative ways... Let it known... that the Sage is now watching you...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  10:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Oh ye have me all wrong, Sage. For I only serve to please all scribes herein at every possible opportunity

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  13:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Yet another function gets added to the forum here at Candlekeep:

Polls

Members will now be permitted to set up voting. To do this, simply click on the "New Poll" option within each sub-forum. You will then be presented with a panel similar to that for new topic posts, where you can set the poll question and options. Once submitted, members will be permitted to vote. Please note, that if you click on the "View Results" option prior to voting, you will not be allowed to vote.

Ye can see "Active Polls" via the link on the forum menu (next to "Active Topics").

Oh, and one point to note.... polls such as "who will win, Elminster or Drizzt?" will removed, forthwith! . Please use this new feature sparingly and sensibly. Thank ye.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  04:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many changes!

You are on good terms with the local Dwarven Worker's Union, right?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  05:08:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and one point to note.... polls such as "who will win, Elminster or Drizzt?" will removed, forthwith! . Please use this new feature sparingly and sensibly. Thank ye.

What about a poll that asks the scribes here at Candlekeep which moderator they prefer... ... Alaundo, or Strahd...?

I'm just kidding . 'Tis a useful feature indeed, especially when text will simply not do...

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Nov 2004 05:09:33
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  06:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive features, Alaundo . It feels like so much has changed since I was last here . . . Tell me, is Tethtoril still around? Is your staff still rated as a +5? What colour is the sky? Is the Cardinal still getting into the ale casks? What of donuts? What . . .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  08:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Impressive features, Alaundo . It feels like so much has changed since I was last here . . . Tell me, is Tethtoril still around? Is your staff still rated as a +5? What colour is the sky? Is the Cardinal still getting into the ale casks? What of donuts? What . . .

Well met

Aye, indeed, Tethtoril is still around, working hard in the back chambers constantly. Tethtoril should hopefully be back full time herein soon, once the backlog has been cleared

As to where the Cardinal has got to, I know not. I do know, however, that those steps need sweeping badly!

Now back to work, lest thee will soon know what enchantment the staff of the irritated moderator doth carry!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  08:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Alaundo

What about a poll that asks the scribes here at Candlekeep which moderator they prefer... ... Alaundo, or Strahd...?

I'm just kidding . 'Tis a useful feature indeed, especially when text will simply not do...

Well met

Thou art not at Worlds now, Sage

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  10:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see you've been busy adding Xtra's onto the forum Alaundo. Keep up the good work

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  10:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I see you've been busy adding Xtra's onto the forum Alaundo. Keep up the good work

Well met

Indeed I have, my dear Lina. I hope the new developments are of use to ye all.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  15:04:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Thou art not at Worlds now, Sage

Sorry about that . I must have accessed the wrong portal when leaving my lab earlier today...

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  09:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question about one of the links you've put up Alaundo...

What does the subscribe to this topic link do?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  10:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met, Lina

If ye select a sub-forum subscription or even a single topic subscription, you will receive an email notification of any posts written within. Therefore, if ye wish to keep an eye on something in particular but are away from the library and with little time, then ye will know when to stop by. Of course, ye better have a mighty good excuse as to why thou art away from thy desk

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  18:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Just a small addition which may be a little useful to some... now when writing your post, the standard formatting keyboard shortcuts are now available, being:

CTRL+B - bold
CTRL+I - italic
CTRL+U - underscore

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  23:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, very useful. Thank you.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  13:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met, Lina

If ye select a sub-forum subscription or even a single topic subscription, you will receive an email notification of any posts written within. Therefore, if ye wish to keep an eye on something in particular but are away from the library and with little time, then ye will know when to stop by. Of course, ye better have a mighty good excuse as to why thou art away from thy desk

I tried the subscription on a topic and you still have a few bugs to iron out. I was sent about 20 notifications when two posts were added since the last time I was in the topic. Shouldn't it really be about one notification for each post?

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  13:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I tried the subscription on a topic and you still have a few bugs to iron out. I was sent about 20 notifications when two posts were added since the last time I was in the topic. Shouldn't it really be about one notification for each post?

Well met

Hmmmm, Lina, were these numerous mails duplicates sent at the same time and with the same poster listed? I haven't experienced this problem myself, if anyone else has then please contact me.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  15:32:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Just a small addition which may be a little useful to some... now when writing your post, the standard formatting keyboard shortcuts are now available, being:

CTRL+B - bold
CTRL+I - italic
CTRL+U - underscore

Very nice! I like being able to do that; it makes t'ings easier.

quote:

I tried the subscription thing, but since I always check the active topics, I wound up unsubscribing to just about everything. It was kinda redundant for me to do both.

But while I was doing it, I had no problems with the system.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  19:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Today, I have added a new functionality to the forum, called "Quick Reply". This inserts a simple text box at the bottom of each page of a thread to enable ye to, well...write a quick reply. Note that smilies and formatting buttons are not available on this reply option, but ye may still use the forum codes to do so (i.e. square brackets around the codes).

This does NOT replace the standard reply option, which can still be selected as normal.

I will leave this in place for a period to see how ye all take to it. If it is more of an irritation and does not serve, then I will happily remove it.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  19:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let's give 'er a shot then! Hmm. Not irritating. Kinda tasty, actually. I'll give it a 98. It's got a good beat, and I can dance to it.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  19:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect! I've always liked this feature on other forums, and missed it here. I'm happy to see it. ^_^

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  19:40:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like a useful addition for those quick one-line replies

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  02:32:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. It's a function that already highlights a number of other forums, although I'm glad to see its inclusion here at Candlekeep.

I appreciate the relative easy of this new function Alaundo. Thank you .

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  10:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This works very well. Sometimes when the forum\site is extrememly busy, the "Reply to Topic" link tends to take a while. This way, it's much easier. Excellent

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  19:03:43  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It works pretty well, and it might be useful as Lord Rad said, sometimes the Reply to topic feature was a bit slow. (only sometimes )

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 23 Jul 2005 19:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  02:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I quite like this new tool you've added. Much easier and faster to post now.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000