Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  18:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was browsing the WotC boards under a pseudonym, and saw that people were querying for info on Shoonach and/or researches of the Shoon into magics. As I've a little time at lunch, I figured I'd toss a few ideas into the ether....

All of the qysars (and all of their lapdog sycophantic vizars and courts) contributed to a great library of magical knowledge that helped the Shoon Imperium maintain its control for as long as it had. The bulk of the spell knowledge now lost to the Realms (but findable by those with the daring to brave the ruins) is offensive and brutal in nature. Many of these spells make the darkenbeast spell look like a kindness.

While I've no time (or inclination) to do full stats ala 3.5, here's some spell ideas that people could possibly find in Shoonach (and perhaps they'd be lauded to the skies if they could reverse-engineer some spells to do good things):

Skeletrap--sacrifice 2+ animated skeletons to wrap around a victim as a bone-cage, anchoring him/her in place to the area of effect. The more skeletons sacrificed, the stronger the cage is (i.e. the higher the Break DC is for the pinned victim) My guess puts this around Level 4 spells.

Eyes of the Drow--victim must suddenly make saves vs. blindness as his/her eyes are replaced with eyes not accustomed to daylight. Beneficial spell at night/subterranean, but most often used (since it has a multiple target effect over an area) to disable spellcasters and give the caster a distinct advantage temporarily. L3 spell? Duration variable according to levels.

If folks want to discuss and toss around more ideas, I'll be checking in now and again.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  19:26:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I throw these up on that thread? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  22:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Can I throw these up on that thread? :)

As long as you attribute them to being unofficial musings of a former game designer, sure. Just warn them that I'm unlikely to spend much time there; any questions need to be forwarded here.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  23:01:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
As long as you attribute them to being unofficial musings of a former game designer, sure. Just warn them that I'm unlikely to spend much time there; any questions need to be forwarded here.

Steven

Nod nod, I always do when I take your lore from here or paste it into my files. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  06:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for you Steven. Rich Baker over on the ask the Realms Authors thread politely demurred when asked what could be found on the various other continents of Toril seen on the "scholar's view of Abeir-Toril" map. He said it was basically space for DM's to imagine and fill in the blanks. He also mentioned that you might have some notes about what might go where.

I was wondering if you might have some "unofficial musings" that you would care to share about what could be found on those Terra Incognitas located around the globe beyond Faerun and Kara-Tur.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  11:39:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I have a question for you Steven. Rich Baker over on the ask the Realms Authors thread politely demurred when asked what could be found on the various other continents of Toril seen on the "scholar's view of Abeir-Toril" map. He said it was basically space for DM's to imagine and fill in the blanks. He also mentioned that you might have some notes about what might go where.

I was wondering if you might have some "unofficial musings" that you would care to share about what could be found on those Terra Incognitas located around the globe beyond Faerun and Kara-Tur.

I'll take this opportunity to again share an idea that crossed my mind in the past...

We know that some of the Netherese cities ranged pretty far afield, since two crashed in the Sea of Fallen Stars and another is believed to lie off of Tethyr's coast.

So, what if the master of an enclave was seriously into exploring, and it was over one of those other continents when Karsus cast his Ultimate Mistake spell? If the city wasn't too high, a large number of people could have survived (or, conversely, if it was high enough for the reborn Mystra to catch it before it). It'd be interesting to see the society that would develop from this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  23:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I have some old, old notes that were a pitch for a subline like Al-Qadim for those areas, but they're all apocryphal, they're all old, and they're all buried somewhere. Gimme a week or so to dig the notes up and I'll see what's worth posting herein, unofficially, of course.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  04:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be totally cool! Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  04:36:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I wouldn't mind seeing those notes myself, Steven.

I'm waiting in line behind Gray .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  19:43:50  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes using the search function can yiled interesting tidbits... Steven, in the Sages of Realmslore sub-forum, I found a post of yours on Magisters, where you mention a little hamlet in the midst of the Greenfields.

What was posted there in the PS footnote is all that exists on the hamlet or did you have more...?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  22:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Sometimes using the search function can yiled interesting tidbits... Steven, in the Sages of Realmslore sub-forum, I found a post of yours on Magisters, where you mention a little hamlet in the midst of the Greenfields.

What was posted there in the PS footnote is all that exists on the hamlet or did you have more...?

Nothing more than that "off the top of my head" nattering, I'm afraid....

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  10:58:31  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I don't know if it's been asked or so but. Considering you wrote the 2ed City of Splendors tome with Ed have you been involved in any way with the upcoming 3ed release ?

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  20:42:02  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

[quote]Nothing more than that "off the top of my head" nattering, I'm afraid....

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with then... I might have a certain scribe's apprentice venture that way and secribe a little more... to be continued

ps: George K, your Village Square edit could actually fit quite nicely in combination with this hamlet...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  01:47:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always glad to be of service.

I might look at some of the other "Locale" series and see what I can do to them - in the nicest possible way of course.

Mind you, I've got a few FR projects on the hop at the moment so my time needs to be used wisely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:25:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Krash... Always play the tempter... .

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  04:44:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh Krash... Always play the tempter... .

I was alluding to more personal projects but some may gain "official" status in time to come. Eric has been assiduously trying to throw-in bits of our Impiltur work into various projects - CoR will likely showcase some of our more interesting thoughts re the place, mainly through the conduits that are the Queen of Whispers and Eltab.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  06:15:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Queen of Whispers will be particularly interesting, since we've learned very little about her to begin with...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  08:05:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's new to the public consciousness of the Realms but she's been around, behind the scenes for a long time in Dalereckoning terms.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  09:04:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shiver at the thought of the secret and subtle machinations she has likely unleashed in her time... How much of the current events in the Realms now dance to her tune I wonder?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  03:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Hmm, I don't know if it's been asked or so but. Considering you wrote the 2ed City of Splendors tome with Ed have you been involved in any way with the upcoming 3ed release ?

And that crunching sound you hear is my neck twisting under the weight of an NDA.

Now if only that'd be an effective chiropractor, I'd not have back troubles....

Steven
Who has no doubts that Eric Boyd has done a far, far better job than he could on the new CITY OF SPLENDORS, because he knows Eric's love for the city matches if not exceeds his own....

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  12:35:19  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I see, well it will be nice to see what Eric has come up with. He will be hard pressed to beat the 2ed version though Not that I disslike him or anything, it's just a nice tome that's all.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  21:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Ah I see, well it will be nice to see what Eric has come up with. He will be hard pressed to beat the 2ed version though Not that I disslike him or anything, it's just a nice tome that's all.

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Have a good weekend, everybody.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  13:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't post on WotC's boards for personal reasons that shall remain my own.

That said, there have been a few discussions re: dukars, sea elves, etc.

For anyone who cares to cross-post this for me, you have my thanks.

"Sea of Fallen Stars breaks from the D&D core tradition in 2E that sea elves did not have access to wizardly magic. How it does so is simple--the majority of the sea elves by modern times had descended from or were still land elves transformed into aquatic elves by powerful magics when they fled either during Myth Drannor's fall or during the Crown Wars.

The sea elves of the Inner Sea have different coloration than those of the greater outer Sea of Swords, which also helps differentiate them from those who cannot wield wizards' magics.

That said, 3E may've thrown out that restriction. If it's left unsaid, it could be laid out that sea elves can only be sorcerers and automatically get the "no need for components" feat or something. <shrug>

Your call, all, but I just thought I'd state for the record how/why I chose to break the core rules restriction as already stated and still produce something useful for FR Canon.

By the by, the inspiration for the Dukars (for those who hadn't caught all the hidden links/references/hints) was the Jedi. Of course, the Dukars were Jedi as I saw them long before the latest trilogy ever existed....."

Thanks, and I hope this info proves useful for some folk here as well.

SES

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  13:59:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider it done Sage Schend .

I felt the subtle connections between the Jedi and the Dukars, but I thought it was merely coincidence, like how the Legion of Steel in DL were originally envisioned.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jun 2005 14:02:29
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  18:34:37  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Secrets of the City
Book IV of the City of Splendors
Page 8
Branta Myntion

Despite discussing her "unique appearance", and noting she has a Charisma of 9, her entry never describes her current appearance. What does she look like now?

- RJ
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

Steven,

Secrets of the City
Book IV of the City of Splendors
Page 8
Branta Myntion

Despite discussing her "unique appearance", and noting she has a Charisma of 9, her entry never describes her current appearance. What does she look like now?

- RJ

Thought the description in Book III covered her, but it's been a while; remember that all stuff in Book IV needs to be cross-checked vs. Book III, as I didn't repeat a lot of info between them (since they were in the same box and presumably within the same purchase).

If I'm remembering the right NPC, her CHA score is a combination of a few factors.
A) She's bald.

B) Her eyes are a solid emerald green--no pupils, nothing but green, and thus a tad disconcerting.

C) She's a weak personality crippled by very low self-esteem for a number of reasons; should she conquer these failings, she could probably rise quite easily, but she's the first one to denigrate her own accomplishments and self, so it's a Sisyphian struggle...

Hope that helps.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  08:54:32  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a skimmer. So that could very well be somewhere else ... :)

Thanks.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  23:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm here and ready to brainstorm Calimport.
I've been thinking about the Muzad and how it would affect the city's everyday workings. Would they be powerful enough to affect the guilds or the pasha? (Please note I haven't read all the way through Calimport, just the basics - but I'll be fixing that situation soon enough).
As you said in the Calimport thread, Steven, there is simply enormous amounts of information on the City of Slaves that could be come up with. It's sorta sad that Waterdeep takes the limelight and gets its own sourcebook, while Calimport gets a miniscule 90 pages.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  02:35:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smyther, perhaps you should also read Empires of the Sands and Empires of the Shining Sea for more lore on both Calimport and Calimshan.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  13:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies all around, but I'm swamped this week (and only alerted here by email). I'll not be able to tackle any brainstorming until the later part of the week. Sorry for delays, but need to keep the day job.....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000