Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  21:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Greetings

I thought that there was an arena in west gate also but i cant rember the source.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  00:24:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Eric, isn't there an arena in Westgate? I seem to recall there are some mentions to this in previous Realmslore (Cloak & Dagger?) and there was the picture in FRCS of "gladiator-like" warriors...

I'm drawing a blank on C&D and don't have the files with me. Anyone? Anyone?

--Eric

I didn't think the Arena was mentioned in C&D. As I recall, the reference in the FRCS 3e is it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  05:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric in The North it says that a Waterdeep Noble called Bjorn owns a housing estate in Daggerford (see Building 48 in the Daggerford section) Any idea which Waterdeep Noble family Bjorn belongs to?

Hey Eric would you have any objection if I used the Cult of the Ascened Lovers in an article Im going to do for Candlekeep?

I would of course credit you for it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 25 Jan 2006 07:29:20
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  13:51:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Another one about CoS, but easier to answer

Why you choose to link the Ilzimmer with Misker the Pirate Tyrant?

You think it's an easy answer ;-), but for the life of me, I can't remember.

I don't have the sources handy, but check Skullport, pages 86-87, Ruins of Undermountain: Campaign Guide, page 128, and Ruins of Undermountain II: Campaign Guide, pages 46-63. If there's a reference in there to Ilzimmer, then you know why, but I suspect there is not.

I think my intent was to show the shoddy dealings supposedly upright Waterdhavian nobles do behind the scenes to maintain their economic power. Assume most, if not all, noble families of Waterdeep have similar secrets.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  13:53:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Eric in The North it says that a Waterdeep Noble called Bjorn owns a housing estate in Daggerford (see Building 48 in the Daggerford section) Any idea which Waterdeep Noble family Bjorn belongs to?

Nope. I'd say he's a minor noble of one of the families ... probably one with land-based trading interests. I think it's good to keep this open ... gives the DM more flexibility.

quote:
Hey Eric would you have any objection if I used the Cult of the Ascened Lovers in an article Im going to do for Candlekeep?

No objection, just reference Paizo and give the URL for the conversions. Have fun!

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  14:21:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You think it's an easy answer ;-), but for the life of me, I can't remember.

Hehe, is not always easy to know if a question will be interesting for the author/designer, I perfectly understand that you may not have an answer about everything related to a product you wrote.

quote:
I don't have the sources handy [...] If there's a reference in there to Ilzimmer, then you know why, but I suspect there is not.

The only reference of Ilzimmer to Undermoutain is that one of them is part of the Dungeon Delver adventuring group.

quote:
[...] Assume most, if not all, noble families of Waterdeep have similar secrets.

That's what I love of Waterdeep

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  02:13:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again Eric,

I ask this question here because I know you have worked on the FR Interactive Atlas.

I recently saw that many many map features of the map included in "Empire of the Shining sea" are not on the FR Interactive maps. That includes towns, ruins, etc. in Calimsham, Calim desert, etc.

Do you have an idea why all those map features were ignored ?

(Yeah I have the 3 updates installed)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  02:27:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't be sure, but I believe support for the Atlas ended before Empires of the Shining Sea came out. TSR's foray into software was not long-lasting. (IIRC, the software was also expensive, compared to some of what was out there).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  05:10:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic
Do you have an idea why all those map features were ignored ?

I really pushed the envelope in terms of the number of "missing tags" when I was helping with Patch #3. (I think I may have doubled the total # of tags.) The mapper ran out of time towards the end, as I was just getting to the south.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  13:34:38  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I thought they included all 2E products.. I'll have to check my old maps again to catch some other missing tags.

Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  20:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- I must have chanelled you, I ended up deciding to run AoWs in the Lake of Steam area. The Arn Rock Beckoned.

Ankhapur as the Free City,

Diamond lake in the mountains north of the lake, don't remember the name.

And Mintarn as Ahlaster, I wanted my PCs to get a city close to some action.

Also I am using the Arn Rock as the wormcrawl fissure, now if I could only convince paizo to switch what I think are stone giants in the city under siege in the next installment, into firegiants I would be great. Guess I am going to have to make Dragotha a red too. Not sure what he is in my memory of the first overload!

On that note, I probably will just be lazy and leave all of the stats as is and add the fire subtype to the giants and dragon.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  05:36:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, just looked through the Dungeon 130 web supplement . . . wow! This was the best one, though I thought it would be interesting given what you had said earlier.

Just for the record, any chance that Jergal being a Spell Weaver death god might become canon?

Similarly, does Jergal have a similar plan in place in a non-Age of Worms, canon Realms?

I also have to say, the specialized "extra" Realms visions and the bonus for having the Jergal's Pact feat were a great idea. Thanks for the work Eric!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  13:44:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it.

I do like the idea of Jergal being a spellweaver death god, as I think it really fits the original picture of Jergal in "Prince of Lies." That said, I'm not sure when I'd have a chance to address the question in an upcoming Realms product one way or the other. Also, I'm not sure whether it would do Jergal justice to mention his origin without an associated plot exploiting it.

I guess my answer is ... I don't know for now, but I'll certainly consider it if I get the opportunity in the future. This will probably depend in large part on fan reaction on the various boards I read.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  19:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have not read the Dungeon 130 supplement, so I do not know if you have already answered this question there, but what role did the spell weavers play in Faerun's history? Where did they come from (assuming that they were not native to the Realms, and were not part of the "Creator Races"), and did they have any major realms/empires? Or did they mostly operate from small, hidden enclaves/bases... manipulating other races from the shadows, such as the fate of Jhaamdath and Netheril?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  19:33:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Eric, I have not read the Dungeon 130 supplement, so I do not know if you have already answered this question there, but what role did the spell weavers play in Faerun's history? Where did they come from (assuming that they were not native to the Realms, and were not part of the "Creator Races"), and did they have any major realms/empires? Or did they mostly operate from small, hidden enclaves/bases... manipulating other races from the shadows, such as the fate of Jhaamdath and Netheril?

At this point it's vague. I'm postulating that they were active in the Chultengar in ages past and that they are interlopers. We also know that at least one pod exists in the modern era north of the Lake of Steam (see EotSS). Other than that, there's little known.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  04:43:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have been thinking of the Champion's Belt adventure, and would be really interested in running the Champion's Games more like a tournament, with jousts and dueling instead of gladitorial fighting, but with "monster fighting" as well, i.e. no person versus person gladitorial fighting, but person versus monster. Do you have any advice on how this would work within the framework of what you have already noted for the adventure?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  19:07:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Eric, I have been thinking of the Champion's Belt adventure, and would be really interested in running the Champion's Games more like a tournament, with jousts and dueling instead of gladitorial fighting, but with "monster fighting" as well, i.e. no person versus person gladitorial fighting, but person versus monster. Do you have any advice on how this would work within the framework of what you have already noted for the adventure?

Sounds like a slightly better fit for Waterdeep. I would suggest a couple of possibilities:

1) Most teams of "monster-fighters" are backed by one noble house or the other. There is a variable portal in the middle of the arena leading into the depths of Undermountain. To make the tournaments "interesting", the arena removes a gate seal spell, waits until a monster wanders through, and then reseals it. This adds a level of variability and chance not seen anywhere else in the Realms and befits a city atop Undermountain.

2) Jousts and dueling are rarely fatal. They are usually done between "seconds" for various nobles, who have no wish to risk their own lives.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  00:53:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, as always, you are inspired. That is just the kind of tweaks I needed to hear to make this more in line with Waterdeep. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  01:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres a scene in one of Elaines Novels where Elaith is running a Monster vs Monster "fight club" in Waterdeep (I seem to recall it was a Naga or Yuan Ti vs or Formion Giant

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  08:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric seeing as how your an IT guy and you worked on the old FR atlas I was wondering if you could help me with a problem Im having installing the first 2 patches

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6130

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  19:53:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Eric seeing as how your an IT guy and you worked on the old FR atlas I was wondering if you could help me with a problem Im having installing the first 2 patches

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6130

I manage IT guys, which means I'm clueless. ;-)

Plus, I was always a Unix guy, never a Windows guy, so I'm completely clueless.

Sorry,

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  19:55:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa
And Mintarn as Ahlaster, I wanted my PCs to get a city close to some action.

Not that it matters, but I think you meant to say that you were making Mintar the Realms-equivalent of Alhaster.

Mintar is different from Mintarn. (The former is a Banite-ruled city on the Lake of Steam, the latter is a "free port" on an island of the same name in the Sea of Swords between Waterdeep and the Moonshaes.)

A common mistake.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 13 Feb 2006 19:56:11
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  21:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aygh, I must have Lake of Steam on the brain. I totally read everything that said Mintar as Mintarn....:)

So you are officially making the realms equivalent of Ahlaster = Mintar, not Mintarn, is that correct?

Well thats what happens when you are in the final stages of crawling towards a PhD!

And on a related note, we are just now in the process of decommissioning our Dec-Alpha, and replacing it with Linux box. I'm currently gripped with a combination of fear and anxiety, i.e. will all my old programs still run, and an equally disfunctional sense of Nostalgia, i.e. - someday I'll be able to say I remember when it took hours to run this or that sim.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  16:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok sorry to clutter you guys up, I figured it out:

Mintar=Ahlaster and is in lake of steam

Mintarn= Island in the sea of fallen stars
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  16:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok

Mintarn=Ahlaster
Mintar=city on lake of steam. Think I got it now, Uyvey...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  22:44:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Ok sorry to clutter you guys up, I figured it out:

Mintar=Ahlaster and is in lake of steam

Mintarn= Island in the sea of fallen stars

Umm, not quite. Mintarn is located in the Trackless Sea, on the western side of the continent, not in the Inner Sea (aka the Sea of Fallen Stars).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  00:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I've always felt that the picture of him in Prince of Lies (where he first appeared) suggested a non-human origin. I've gone with this in the Realms conversion for AoW, as you'll see in the conversion sidebar for "Spire of Long Shadows".

--Eric

I bought Dungeon 130, but I can't find "the conversion sidebar." Where is that located, please?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  19:38:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I've always felt that the picture of him in Prince of Lies (where he first appeared) suggested a non-human origin. I've gone with this in the Realms conversion for AoW, as you'll see in the conversion sidebar for "Spire of Long Shadows".

--Eric

I bought Dungeon 130, but I can't find "the conversion sidebar." Where is that located, please?

On the web, found here:

http://paizo.com/dungeon/news#v5748eaic9k52

My apologies if that wasn't clear. Paizo ended up doing the conversion notes for all the adventures online.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  19:59:42  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric,

I was being curious about something - I know you are one of the
authors of Champions of Ruin and I've got a question regarding
one of the "Archfiends" described within - Aumvor the Undying.

Is he your brainchild ?? If yes then here goes the question -
Aumvor owns several artifacts, which weren't described in any
FR book so far - The Bonestaff of Sadebreth, Tear of Ascore
etc. Will these items ever be statted officially ?? Did you
design them for use in some personal scenario or some such ??
If they won't appear anywhere, would you bo able to give some
hints about their abilities (or what abilities you think they should possess)??

Thanks

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...

Edited by - Torkwaret on 17 Feb 2006 23:35:54
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  00:23:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Dear Eric,

I was being curious about something - I know you are one of the
authors of Champions of Ruin and I've got a question regarding
one of the "Archfiends" described within - Aumvor the Undying.

Is he your brainchild ?? If yes then here goes the question -
Aumvor owns several artifacts, which weren't described in any
FR book so far - The Bonestaff of Sadebreth, Tear of Ascore
etc. Will these items ever be statted officially ?? Did you
design them for use in some personal scenario or some such ??
If they won't appear anywhere, would you bo able to give some
hints about their abilities (or what abilities you think they should possess)??

Thanks

Aumvor was first mentioned in one of Ed's Pages From the Mages articles (Briel's Book of Shadows) and then given a treatment in the old REF3 Lords of Darkness accessory. The items you mention are (in time-honored tradition) undetailed, unstatted and there for flavor - to allow DMs to have magic items they can give powers to for their own campaigns but have some foundation in Realmslore.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000