Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

laethyn
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  22:46:55  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last site I built that got posted here (Beezer's Review site) made people go blind because of the color scheme.

Anyone going blind this time? hmmmm?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by laethyn

The last site I built that got posted here (Beezer's Review site) made people go blind because of the color scheme.
Anyone going blind this time? hmmmm?

You know, if they're blind . . . they might not see this question.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:34:07  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, because the last thing they should lay eyes on is your website. Beatiful women, nice cars, blinding bright light in a tunnel ... pfft. None of it compares!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:17:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Is the world of Ruin really one you created?

Or did it create you? That would anwers alot of questions about you my friend!

P.S. You newest fan (Robert Tristan) is now 3 weeks old, wonder how much longer I should wait to read your books to him???

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are any fantasy worlds really "created," or are they only "discovered"? Sometimes I wonder.

And my books are probably best left until about age 13+. I think my style most applies to a 17-19+ audience, but it's definitely not for pre-teens.

Though I have thought about the possibilities of a YA novel . . . Hmm.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:39:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Are any fantasy worlds really "created," or are they only "discovered"? Sometimes I wonder.

And my books are probably best left until about age 13+. I think my style most applies to a 17-19+ audience, but it's definitely not for pre-teens.

Though I have thought about the possibilities of a YA novel . . . Hmm.

Cheers

'Light as a toddler??/

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

'Light as a toddler??/

Heh. That must have been an interesting childhood.

YA novels aren't necessarily about kids, they just target younger readers as an audience, appealing to things that concern teenagers: bullying, growing up, dealing with girls/boys, being popular/outcast, etc.

I wonder if WotC has ever considered an FR YA line, like they have for . . . [furtive look to make sure Wooly's not around] Dragonlance?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if WotC has ever considered an FR YA line, like they have for . . . [furtive look to make sure Wooly's not around] Dragonlance?

If they did, I'd likely still check such books out, even though I would not be a member of the target audience.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  19:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Harry Potter mania has opened up a whole new world for YA fantasy. A lot of agents/publishers are very keen on picking up novels of the sort . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  20:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the Harry Potter mania has opened up a whole new world for YA fantasy. A lot of agents/publishers are very keen on picking up novels of the sort . . .

Cheers

Great point--no reason why so-called "YA" novels can't appeal to all kinds of people.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  20:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Cheers

Great point--no reason why so-called "YA" novels can't appeal to all kinds of people.

I know I enjoyed the Young Jedi Knights novels by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta (he outlines stories well, but is not much of a writer, his wife (Moesta) however is an excellent writer, so the books turned out well ).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:28:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

'Light as a toddler??/

YA novels aren't necessarily about kids, they just target younger readers as an audience, appealing to things that concern teenagers: bullying, growing up, dealing with girls/boys, being popular/outcast, etc.

Cheers
This is actually the type of thinking that led the Lady K and I to produce, for our little Narnra, an illustrated and summarised version of Ed's "One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta." It's still just as much a fun tale, and something that younger children can, I believe, enjoy just as much as the adults.

We even went as far as writing a small piece of piano sheet music to complement parts of the story. There's unusual sounds that follow the flow of the story, and funny voices and dress-ups involved, but we get the job done. Needless to say, little Narnra smiles and laughs every time she asks to hear this particular story.

And it's all thanks to the magic of Ed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2007 01:30:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  02:18:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Dragginglance was how I got intro'ed to the Realms. I shan't sweat the occasional reference to it.

I'm even going to replace all the Weis/Hickman DL novels I had. I shan't bother with the other ones, but definitely the Weis/Hickman ones.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  00:22:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

'Light as a toddler??/

Cheers

Oh I think they are definately targeting teens with 4.0.

I do not know why they would stop with the setting and leave the novels alone!

quote:

Ah is this a clue to your project that most likely will be under a pseudonym???

edit: Punctuation!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Oct 2007 00:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  15:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh I think they are definately targeting teens with 4.0.

If you say so--myself, I don't see it.

quote:
Ah is this a clue to your project that most likely will be under a pseudonym???

I can neither confirm nor deny. :)

Though, if I wrote a YA novel that wasn't FR or sword-and-sorcery by extraction, I would probably use a pseudonym.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  00:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought that I would let you know that I read The Greater Treasure in Realms of the Elves and enjoyed it. Will have to look into at least borrowing Depths of Madness from the library even if I do not buy it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  21:45:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik, I hope you don't mind, but I have a theoretical questions that is based on a few suppositions, if you don't mind indulging (and I fully realize that as such its all theory and no "canon," so to speak). (Spoilers for the Savage Tide Adventure Path from Dungeon Magazine):

Assuming the most likely resolution of the Savage Tide, that being the destruction of Demogorgon and his displacement as the Prince of Demons, how would this affect Slip, and what would she do one way or the other?

Thanks in advance Erik.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  23:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Erik, I hope you don't mind, but I have a theoretical questions that is based on a few suppositions, if you don't mind indulging

Well, I am certainly not an expert, nor am I a designer, nor do I even know anything about the Savage Tide adventure path, but . . .

Theoretically, if Demogorgon were to buy the farm, kick the bucket, get offed, etc. for any reason, any of a number of things would happen to one of his priests--in particular, one of his favored souls, which Daltyrex is. (We're going to assume, for the sake of this discussion, that Demogorgon really *is* Daltyrex's divine patron, grants spells, etc.)

If your divine patron goes beyond beyond the veil, I imagine you lose all divine abilities granted by that patron. If this happens at a bad time, it's possible your prepared spells still function (because the god/dess gave you the power when you prayed); then again, they might not. Also, possibly the death of a deity might have consequences for a favored soul. Those are questions for a designer. Regardless, you wouldn't be able to pray for more spells thereafter from that patron (obviously).

Now as for Daltyrex's case. If/when Demo dies, Daltyrex loses her divine abilities, possibly leading to a disruption of her control of the Depths. Assuming she survives, escapes the Depths, gets out of the desert alive, etc., she might latch onto a new deity, who may or may not be able to replace her abilities. This hasn't happened to her before--in my conception, she was always a servant of Demogorgon, even if she didn't realize it--she never served Yondalla, then converted, etc. Logically, she would just serve Demo's replacement--s/he might very well make it a priority to recruit Demo's best servants--or she might not, because the replacement may want to get rid of all trace of Demogorgon (pull a Kiaranslee). Or someone else entirely might claim her soul the way Demogorgon has.

As for Daltyrex's actual fate, I couldn't say. WotC might indeed want to write that someday.

So that's my thinking on the subject. You are free, of course, to have anything you want happen in your own game--if this even applies to your game. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  00:12:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, not to my game specifically, but when I got to thinking about the subject and its potential ramifications for the Realms, I thought of Slip right off the bat, so I thought I'd pick your brain on the theoretical subject.

Spoiler for the Tide, again:

While there is no "official" ending, James Jaccobs said his thought process would be something along the lines of, after the smoke clearing, and all of Orcus' and Graz'zt's and the other's troops leaving the field, Obox-ob might claim the title again. This might make for an interesting patron for Slip, but I don't know if the Lord of Vermin would be interested in her as a favored soul.

At any rate, thanks for the reply Erik. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  01:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she is a kind of vermin, isn't she? I imagine that angle could get played up . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  12:21:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

I was in a Borders the other night and decided to flip through The Grand History of the Realms.

It was very cool to see Fox at Twilight's little blurb in there!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  14:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, I don't have a copy of this book yet, so I haven't read it myself! GAH!!!

Ok. I'm better.

It's a huge honor to be included in such a prestigious, pivotal, and even somewhat controversial work, and one that was born right here at the Keep!

I've also had the honor to meet Brian James in person (though not read his book! Bad Erik! Bad!) and his darling family--which tides me over until I can actually get a copy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 31 Oct 2007 15:00:52
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  03:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Wanderer's Homepage Send Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gahh, alright, I'm sorry. It's in the mail, just mailed it today. Yes I know its been about a month since I said I'd send you it, but better late then never right? Oh, didja get that thing I sent ya? (email)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(For explanation, this rascal who calls himself "Wanderer" is my best friend, who's supposed to be mailing me a copy of GHotR.)

And yes, I did indeed get the email. Replying soon!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:35:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(For explanation, this rascal who calls himself "Wanderer" is my best friend, who's supposed to be mailing me a copy of GHotR.)

And yes, I did indeed get the email. Replying soon!

Cheers

Friend ehhhh??

Sounds more like a wealthy patron I'd say

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  16:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Friend ehhhh??

The Realms equivalent of a sugar daddy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  19:52:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Friend ehhhh??

The Realms equivalent of a sugar daddy.

Cheers

Well eventually you will have to earn that largesse

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  21:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that this is particularly relevant, but for all those Fox-at-Twilight fans out there, I came up with a pic that's pretty spot on for my visualization of Twilight.

Interestingly enough, it's one of the first "fantasy women" pictures I saw as a kid, getting into then 2e AD&D. Strange how memory works out.

Anyway, check out my blog to read all about it:

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/123929.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  22:54:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat. You broke into D&D through PLANESCAPE, Erik? No wonder you and I connect so well. And just as Elmore was DRAGONLANCE, Diterlizzi was PLANESCAPE. Great stuff!

As for the "Cat Lord," I can definitely feel the "Twilight-vibe" from it. 'Tis one of my favorite images from the Planescape Monstrous Compendium I.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Dec 2007 22:55:53
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  00:19:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that this is particularly relevant, but for all those Fox-at-Twilight fans out there, I came up with a pic that's pretty spot on for my visualization of Twilight.

Interestingly enough, it's one of the first "fantasy women" pictures I saw as a kid, getting into then 2e AD&D. Strange how memory works out.

Anyway, check out my blog to read all about it:

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/123929.html

Cheers

If Amy Lee were an elf.....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly