Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sample chapter (well, two: prelude and chapter 1) is up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/956027400

db

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still no "Wayfarer," folks.

There's a character profile, though: Arya Venkyr

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:57:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, Erik, if I recall correctly, it was eventually figured out how bees fly: the way they flap their wings creates a low-pressure vortex over the wing, greatly increasing the lift.

I just thought I'd mention that, since you mentioned that old mystery in that interview.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Dec 2005 22:43:37
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  20:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can always count on you, my dear hamster. ;)

I believe what I was going for was: ". . .shouldn't be able to fly, but does through the miracle of SCIENCE!" but that was just too long for a simple gag. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  07:30:07  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,
I have a question about Ghostwalker.
Just picked up and just reached chapter 7, liking it alot so far.
Why a mithral blade? Just curious, since it is a somewhat odd choice.

Thanks

Edit: Just finished Ghostwalker, a most excellent novel. Can't wait to read more by you.

Warlock

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 12 Dec 2005 10:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  11:07:55  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Please keep questions like this, in the relevant threads, in the Ghostwalker book club.

Thanks

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come one, come all, to commentary on "Wayfarer," my short story!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/wayfarer

Commentary over in the book club. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric,

Thanks

Edit: Just finished Ghostwalker, a most excellent novel. Can't wait to read more by you.

Warlock

I'm glad you enjoyed! Check out my "Wayfarer" short story, if you like!

As for your question: Well, it's an elven weapon -- it seemed appropriate.

In gamerese, the weapon is a +1 ghost touch mithral shatterspike longsword.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  22:33:38  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

quote:

Please keep questions like this, in the relevant threads, in the Ghostwalker book club.

Thanks

Why would I have to post over in the book club?
When my question is a general question as opposed to a question on a specific chapter?!?

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  22:35:10  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

Okay in tht context, being an elven weapon, does make sense then.

Thanks for the reply Eric.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  22:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Eric,

Thanks

Warlock

Cheers

Here's a related question: Where's the shatterspike quality from? I don't recall it from anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  23:04:00  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Here's a related question: Where's the shatterspike quality from? I don't recall it from anywhere.

Shatterspike is in the DMG 3.5, it first appeared in a module, The Sunless Citadel.

Erik, just gave it Ghost Touch and changed it to Mithral.

News of the Weird

Edited by - warlockco on 12 Dec 2005 23:04:39
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  23:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Shatterspike is in the DMG 3.5, it first appeared in a module, The Sunless Citadel.

Erik, just gave it Ghost Touch and changed it to Mithral.

Ah, silly me, I thought it was a weapon quality, not a unique weapon he'd built it off. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  16:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I took it from Sword and Fist, added Ghost Touch and Mithral construction, and called it unique. ;)

The sword is kind of a mirror as to what Walker is. He is, in a sense, a sword breaker.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  16:36:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why would I have to post over in the book club?
When my question is a general question as opposed to a question on a specific chapter?!?

Meh. It's cool. Whenever, wherever. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  16:55:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik, just wondering, after wrapping up Ghostwalker . . .

Do you plan on using your characters from this story in any future books? Even as cameos if you don't want to pick up on their stories again yet?

I know you have a book in the Dungeons series coming out, but if you had the chance, would you take a trilogy offer, and do you have some thoughts in mind as to what you would like to tackle with that much territory offered to you?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  20:06:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, KEJR, the sky's the limit.

Do I have current plans to use these characters again? No, not really. Most of them are dead, after all, or vanished.

Cameo appearances I haven't decided upon. I can see it being effective, and logical in some cases. Characters who would probably make excellent cameos are Bars and Derst, a somewhat embittered Arya, and Cateln, the very mad bard of "The Hunting Game" fame.

Would I like to use them again? Oh, definitely. Do I have hypothetical plans? Oh, yes. See below.

I'm not sure exactly how much say I'd have in subject for a trilogy, even if they offered me one. Maybe I'd explore some of the loose ends of Ghostwalker, maybe not. Maybe I'd go a totally different direction (the main character of Depths has a LOT of story to cover, and I've a great many other characters).

Staying flexible.

* SPOILERS FOR GHOSTWALKER *

I've been thinking about how to follow up Ghostwalker. It's not the kind of book that lends itself exceptionally well to a straight sequel. Subsequent stuff has got to either bring back Walker, which would be hard and take away some of the impact of GW, or focus on ones who are still alive, which is a departure from GW as it is.

Arya has a lot of story still to tell, and truth be told, she's tied for my favorite character in that book. The influence of Walker and the events surrounding his disappearance change her fundamentally as a character, and I'd love to explore that.

Given full rein? I have much more mapped out for her in my head, which deals with what's happened in Ghostwalker: the impact of Walker on her life (HUGE), her promotion to Knight Protector, her "little-sister, big-sister" relationship with Alustriel, conflict in her chosen path, etc, etc.

*END SPOILER*

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  20:17:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While writing the same, proven characters can be great, I think it may be wise to lay down a base of solid characters. Elaine certainly has done this, and I think its worked well for her. No one thinks she can only write Arilyn or Liriel. That having been said, I like Arya a lot and like her being tied to the Silver Marches, so I would love to see you return to her at some point in time and expound on what you mentioned here.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  22:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find myself in complete agreement. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 Dec 2005 22:35:38
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  21:21:52  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I just finished Ghostwalker and I wanted to tell you how pleasantly surprised I was. I don't read Realms novels for anything more than simple entertainment, and as far as writing goes I don't expect that much, but you really blew me out of the water this time around. Not only did this book keep me turning pages, but it was well written and had more depth than I ever expected out a Realms novel. Bravo.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  18:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why thank you, Blue. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I remember you from before, and I was hoping you'd take a gander come December. :)

Have you considered taking part in the Book Club or posting a review on Amazon?

What did you like best? Any specific comments?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  07:13:14  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why thank you, Blue. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I remember you from before, and I was hoping you'd take a gander come December. :)

Have you considered taking part in the Book Club or posting a review on Amazon?

What did you like best? Any specific comments?

Cheers

I think I liked the depth of the characters the best. The last Realms book I read was Promise of the Witch King and I have to say that I was disappointed that all but the two central characters were poorly developed. It was nice to pick up Ghostwalker and find characters that weren't two-dimensional.

And on a less literary note, you write a mighty fine battle scene.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  16:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
High praise, indeed -- I focused on characterization and fight sequences. Success!

Thanks!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  16:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure this is a totally unnecessary post, since I'm sure folks know this, but I do have a story in the latest Realms anthology (Realms of the Elves) called "The Greater Treasure." People seem to be liking it -- check THIS Thread in the Book Club. Check it out, if you like. :)

And besides. I wanted to have a comment in the new year (the last one was Dec 30, 2005). :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Feb 2006 16:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  16:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will have to forgive me in advance, as I have not read all of this thread due to the fact that it very well may contain spoilers to your short stories, which I haven’t yet read. (Although Elves is on my shelf).

Aside from the fact that I really enjoy the whole concept behind the Fighters series, I was very pleased with Ghostwalker. Walker was a fantastic “hero”. The fantastic amount of ‘villains’ that were in Walker’s path were all well detailed and I had a great feel for all of them, and their motivations (once they became clear). The druid/mentor angle was a total surprise to me once it became fully apparent.

That said, Arya was, by far my favorite character. I’d be very happy to see her continuing adventures. During the course of the book, I was often very worried about her continued survival.

If there were any complaints, I’d have to say they were that I kept expecting a trip to Silverymoon (and some more page time with Arya). Also, Bars and Derst…well, maybe I’ve just played to many video games, but I got a pretty big Wedge and Biggs vibe from them.

Your name on future books will ensure their purchase in the future. ^_^

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  17:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

You will have to forgive me in advance, as I have not read all of this thread due to the fact that it very well may contain spoilers to your short stories, which I haven’t yet read. (Although Elves is on my shelf).

It does indeed. My apologies. I tried to mark things as best I could. :)

quote:
Aside from the fact that I really enjoy the whole concept behind the Fighters series, I was very pleased with Ghostwalker. Walker was a fantastic “hero”. The fantastic amount of ‘villains’ that were in Walker’s path were all well detailed and I had a great feel for all of them, and their motivations (once they became clear). The druid/mentor angle was a total surprise to me once it became fully apparent.

Thank you very much! That's very high praise. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

quote:
That said, Arya was, by far my favorite character. I’d be very happy to see her continuing adventures. During the course of the book, I was often very worried about her continued survival.

Excellent! Arya was so excellent to write, and I'm glad I achieved that kind of tension.

quote:
If there were any complaints, I’d have to say they were that I kept expecting a trip to Silverymoon (and some more page time with Arya).

A trip to Silverymoon, eh? Hmm. I was considering it when I planned the novel, but I decided it would break up the flow and change the tone too much. Silverymoon is a radiant, enlightened place where crazy-powerful wizards and warriors are apt to be found dicing in local taverns -- whereas Quaervarr is dark and rustic, with that sort of frontier ambiguity that was absolutely essential to the book.

There would have been more page time with Arya, but I had to cut some stuff for length. Rest assured that if I write a follow-up, that will be reversed.

quote:
Also, Bars and Derst…well, maybe I’ve just played to many video games, but I got a pretty big Wedge and Biggs vibe from them.

Ha! I know exactly what you're talking about, but I hadn't thought of that angle at all. I suppose one could definitely see that.

quote:
Your name on future books will ensure their purchase in the future. ^_^

Many, many thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  16:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is addressing a post from Ethriel (most if not all of which is quoted below) over in the Book Club. He addressed all of my works in a single post, so if you could combine the threads on Hunting Game, Ghostwalker, and The Greater Treasure, it would be perfect. Which is, coincidentally, what this thread is, to a point.

quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Erik, if you do get the go-ahead to do a trilogy, would we be expecting the return of old favorites? Alin would make such a cool side kick...and Cythara and her demonic lover have what I like to call 'untapped villain potential'...add that to Yldar and the Ghostwalker remnants. and we've got ourselves a great trilogy! I'd read it!...

I couldn't say. I've got potential plans for trilogies revolving around any and all of my characters, so...........

quote:
now we just need Jess to write a sequel to Master of Chains...

Don't worry -- NO spoilers for Master to follow!

Someone mentioned earlier that we needed a crossover sequel between Ghostwalker and Master of Chains, likely with the two main characters ending it with an epic battle. That would be rather unlikely, I think, but wouldn't it be cool?

(Gamer alert!) If Jess and I played it out in game terms, it would be particularly interesting to see who won -- shatterspike or spiked chain, reach vs. spring attack (trained in the elven way, after all), etherealness vs. . . well, that would be a spoiler.

quote:
And sorry, I couldn't resist:
"So, we're looking to book a room for tonight an-"
"Eyes like fire atop a golden spire!"
"Uh, yeah, don't mind him..."

Heh. I've run Alin as an NPC, actually, in my ongoing Realms campaign, and while the characters adore him, he is indeed prone to that sort of outburst. From time to time. At the least convenient times. Also odd little phrases like:

"Be wary lest the fire o'love consume thee and thine -- for I was not, and my love of fire consumed mine."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  01:57:10  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

I just finished reading your short story, "The Greater Treasure," in Realms of the Elves. I enjoyed the story greatly, and you left me with something I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of.

Early in the story, you had Yldar come to the rescue of his sister, Cythara. And as he grabbed hold of the human accosting his sister, he said, "Away from my sister, you damned, dirty ape-spawn." Because of that line, from now on I'm going to think of every sun elf as Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes."

A great story notwithstanding.

Daarkknight

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  22:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. Glad you enjoyed, daarkknight!

(I must ask -- is your screenname a version of "dark knight" or are you the Arch / Arc Knight ("da ark knight")? I know very well what attaching "da/de" does to a name. )

quote:
Early in the story, you had Yldar come to the rescue of his sister, Cythara. And as he grabbed hold of the human accosting his sister, he said, "Away from my sister, you damned, dirty ape-spawn." Because of that line, from now on I'm going to think of every sun elf as Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes."

Ha-ha! You're right on the money!

That was so purposeful.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  01:22:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn it . . . I just read that today and I SO wanted to get home to post that comment. Grrr, stupid 12 hour days!

That was pretty funny Erik, even if I wasn't the first to notice it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000