Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  15:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Darn it . . . I just read that today and I SO wanted to get home to post that comment. Grrr, stupid 12 hour days!

That was pretty funny Erik, even if I wasn't the first to notice it.

Thanks. I've been known to stick a little movie / pop-culture reference in each of my pieces of writing, and not necessarily intentionally. I write it, pass it by, then when I'm going back I bust up laughing and just HAVE to leave it in.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, why do I suddenly get an image of the characters trying to hide from a a large red dragon when Alin suddenly blurts out a new verse of his song?

And there's nothing wrong with pop culture references, they're fun.

Edited by - Ethriel on 27 Feb 2006 16:28:58
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Erik, why do I suddenly get an image of the characters trying to hide from a a large red dragon when Alin suddenly blurts out a new verse of his song?

Because it's not only totally possible, but also extremely likely?

(Well, gosh, now I can't use that idea. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
/What/ idea now? *Wink wink*
Glad to know good ol' Al's adventures continue in some way...does he ever brag about getting to jump in the sack with a red dragon?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  15:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad to know good ol' Al's adventures continue in some way...does he ever brag about getting to jump in the sack with a red dragon?

Oh sure -- just not too loudly. In the game, red dragons have these amazing Listen check modifiers.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  00:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, man Erik, just got that Amazon authors note....is there anything you can tell about the 'thing' set for MArch 2007? What the plot'll be, characters features, etc?
Awesome, simply awesome news, glad I saw it!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  08:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, man Erik, just got that Amazon authors note....is there anything you can tell about the 'thing' set for MArch 2007? What the plot'll be, characters features, etc?

Well met

Hmmm, interesting. Tell me, Ethriel, what is this note of which ye speak? Please enlighten us.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  12:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon.com has a feature which allows authors to post a blog type thing. The author’s comments from the blog will show up on all the books that the author is listed on.

Erik Scott De Bie, for example, has his page here http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AT1SVONDA54TB/ref=cm_blog_dp_pdp/103-0245864-0928628, and the same comments appear on all the books he has worked on.

The relevant comment here is :
quote:
A second novel by me is set for March 2007, called The Depths of Madness. I can't say much about it because of contracts that I've signed (NDAs. Typical), but I can speak very generally. Where Ghostwalker is a kind of western/revenge-type fantasy tale, Depths is an intense fantasy thriller, with a wide cast of characters who unveil themselves slowly, with many twists and shocks, building to a wrenching climax.

Or, at least, I intend it to be wrenching. :)

EDIT: Let me try and spell his name right

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis

Edited by - Jindael on 02 Mar 2006 12:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wish it were otherwise, but no -- lips are sealed.

They may well loosen in the fullness of time (say, 6 months prior to release -- that's usually a reasonable time to start teasing), but until then. . . No info from me.

Interestingly, there's a debate over on the R.A. Salvatore boards about who / what will be in my next novel. I can neither confirm nor deny rumors, and to keep from accidentally giving hints (true or not -- most of the hints I've already given are fallacious) away, I'm going with the "say nothing" policy.

Glad you're so excited.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Elaine Cunningham this earlier today, and I'm interested in what your answer would be as well.

If you were free to write about whatever you wanted (in the realms)and your only limit was existing canon and a reasonable editor (and not including projects you already have in the offical pipeline) what would you choose?

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrrrgh, well, no worries...when you can reveal it later, let us know!

Edited by - Ethriel on 02 Mar 2006 20:25:05
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Arrrrgh, well, no worries...when you can reveal it later, let us know!

I'm not sure what I will / can reveal. But I can virtually guarantee (80%) that I will tell you more when the 6 month mark comes up. And probably when the cover appears online, as well. Until then, absolutely NOTHING besides the name of the book.

(No -- I don't know what the cover art is. Yet. )

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

I asked Elaine Cunningham this earlier today, and I'm interested in what your answer would be as well.

If you were free to write about whatever you wanted (in the realms)and your only limit was existing canon and a reasonable editor (and not including projects you already have in the offical pipeline) what would you choose?

Hmm. Well, I can't give you the *REAL* answer because, 1) it might jeapordize my chances of persuading my editor to allow me to do it (and I don't have the same kind of clout Elaine has, obviously, nor the same suave, mischievousity (yeah? I dare you to look it up ) of manner ), and 2) I'm not really sure.

I have this one storyline that I really, really like that involves some substantial messing with certain extremely powerful figures (which is often a big no-no unless it's carefully planned -- WotC has enough on its plate maintaining consistency without serious epics coming along and ruining everything) and some epic, titanic magical battles. I'm doing it in my game thus far, and it's pretty fun. Has to do with destruction of certain deities.

So I suppose if I had the chance to do anything -- absolutely anything -- I might give that story a shot.

Who knows? I might eventually do it.

It all depends on WotC.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 02 Mar 2006 20:37:45
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

...(and I don't have the same kind of clout Elaine has, obviously, nor the same suave, mischievousity (yeah? I dare you to look it up ) of manner )...

Assuming you don't lose your currently existing talent under the couch or something, you will soon. :)

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  21:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Assuming you don't lose your currently existing talent under the couch or something, you will soon. :)

I appreciate the vote of confidence.

But I have cats, and they eat ANYTHING.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  00:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also believe that statement, Erik...you're definitely the most promising of the new authors we've seen thus far. And it's nice to see someone who doesn't forget or neglect his characters.
And unlike SOME people I could mention, we're left with the sense we'll see these stories continues, people get what's coming to them and interesting villains who can put up good fights
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  15:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herein, I answer a post from scererar, so as not to disrupt the flow of the "Paladins in Forgotten Realms books" thread:

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

a little off the topic, but Erik, I really enjoyed these two characters, they almost remind me of Torm and Rathan from, the knights of myth Drannor. I especially like their individual fighting styles. Any possibility of these two appearing in the future?

That parallel has indeed been made (and I think it holds some weight), but those two were not in my mind when I made Bars and Derst. They are initially inspired from Eddings' Belgariad.

Will we see the eternally-fencing duo again? Anything is possible, trust me.

quote:
Additionally Erik, according to your bio, we are from the same geographic location, at least if school attendance counts as residence.

Excellent! Are you a Willamette fellow?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  15:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also believe that statement, Erik...you're definitely the most promising of the new authors we've seen thus far.

I am honored you think so. Many thanks!

quote:
And it's nice to see someone who doesn't forget or neglect his characters.

Oh, I COULD just let them go, but that would be going easy on them, wouldn't it?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  20:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All too easy on them, the poor things...
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  06:11:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Herein, I answer a post from scererar, so as not to disrupt the flow of the "Paladins in Forgotten Realms books" thread:

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

a little off the topic, but Erik, I really enjoyed these two characters, they almost remind me of Torm and Rathan from, the knights of myth Drannor. I especially like their individual fighting styles. Any possibility of these two appearing in the future?

That parallel has indeed been made (and I think it holds some weight), but those two were not in my mind when I made Bars and Derst. They are initially inspired from Eddings' Belgariad.

Will we see the eternally-fencing duo again? Anything is possible, trust me.

quote:
Additionally Erik, according to your bio, we are from the same geographic location, at least if school attendance counts as residence.

Excellent! Are you a Willamette fellow?

Cheers

I grew up here, my mom graduated from Willamette, and My wife and I have a family friend who is a professor there. No just grew up here, couldn't wait to get away, went into the Army for 12 years, and then found that the grass is not any greener on the other side of the fence and came back.

Additionally I do hope to see the 2 characters again in the future, they were most interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  15:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ha!

Yes, I went to Willamette University. Lived in Salem as long as necessary, then moved up here to Seattle. I still have a lot of friends in the area (I would imagine some college buddies haven't left yet, either).

quote:
Additionally I do hope to see the 2 characters again in the future, they were most interesting.

I do too. Only time will tell.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  02:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I do too. Only time will tell.

Cheers

As would I. They were fun to read. In fact, bring back all three of them!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  15:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:

As would I. They were fun to read. In fact, bring back all three of them!

Well, we shall see what we shall see. No promises or hints, either way. It's entirely up to Wizards.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  16:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to drop a quick note to let y'all know that I'm doing my first signing (of Ghostwalker, particularly, but also either of the short stories) on Saturday, April 22nd, at 4 p.m., at:

Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Gateway Courtyard
1600 Gateway Blvd
Fairfield, CA 94533
707-435-0484

Look forward to seeing anyone who comes -- to heckle me or otherwise!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  16:55:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage grumbles something about being *so far away* in Australia ::

Any chance you'd ever be able to head to our shores Erik?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  17:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be wonderful, but I can't say as it's likely in the nearest of futures.

I'll just have to make it so that the next time I holiday down under (which has never happened yet, but might!), I'll do a signing or some kind.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  19:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met again, all.

I wanted to drop a quick note about my first signing, which was on April 22 (Saturday). It went amazingly well, and I think I've converted a few fantasy readers to the Realms. It's a good feeling.

I posted a long entry about it on my blog:

eriksdb.livejournal.com

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:43:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would be wonderful, but I can't say as it's likely in the nearest of futures.

I'll just have to make it so that the next time I holiday down under (which has never happened yet, but might!), I'll do a signing or some kind.

Cheers

A signing ... Well there'll be Sage, Dargoth and myself at the very least. I've often wondered if there is a "FR community" in Australia. When I pop into my hobby store, I rarely see people browsing through the Realms section - although I hasten to add that "Power of Faerûn" is sold out and I missed out on getting Murray's "Son of Thunder" because I waited two days and they were all gone ... I guess a book signing may happen after all. I pick Adelaide - nice and central.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  03:02:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novels seem to sell faster than the sourcebooks here in Perth. I'm still seeing copies of Silver Marches and Monsters of Faerun sitting on my local hobby store's shelves. But FR novels... each new release is pretty much sold out by the time I get to the store (usually the day of, or day after its initial release) -- which is why I always pre-order to ensure I get my copies .

But anyways... Krash's suggestion of a book-signing for Erik in Adelaide works for me . And it gives both Dargoth and I an extra reason to seek George out and run a few FR adventures.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  04:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the support, guys!

I need to holiday in Australia, clearly.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  05:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

Just dropping in to let folks know that I'm giving a panel at the Pacific Northwest Writers conference in July:

Schedule of Events for Saturday: http://pnwa.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=188.

This'll be fun, and probably mostly discussion-based. I'm by no means an expert on the subject -- just interested. :)

Here's the Conference main site: http://pnwa.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=5

And PNWA's main site: http://pnwa.org/index.cfm.

And, if the schedule doesn't shift, I'm likely to be in the same room as Mercedes Lackey. . . which is just cool. :D

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 22 May 2006 05:29:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000