Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  15:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met -- brief update.

Just pointed toward this link, regarding my next offering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786943149/sr=1-2/qid=1150857539/ref=sr_1_2/103-4553293-3570264?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

So it appears Depths has a rough date: March 13.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 21 Jun 2006 15:34:34
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Second piece of news:

For those who might be interested, I've created myself a myspace account. It's fledgling, and I might find that it doesn't work for me. But it seems like a way to connect to more folks, so it's worth a shot.

www.myspace.com/erikscottdebie

'Cuz, you know, I like giving people something they might like to read.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd post this as well, inspired by James:

Thursday, August 10:

None, 'cuz I'm flying in at 3. Stupid time zones!

Friday, August 11:

(AA) 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Young Dragons unite! Kameron Franklin, James P. Davis, Jaleigh Johnson, Harley Stroh, Ed Gentry, and yours truly will be weaving thrilling tales of dragons ravaging the lands of Faerun. Or, perhaps, reading the ones we already have. Interpretive dance and acting out each others' stories is an option.

(AA) 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. The Fighters duel! Jess Lebow and I shall be swapping tales of the thrilling combats in our novels, Master of Chains and Ghostwalker, and talking about the possibility of a grudge match between our two protagonists. . . or not. ;)

(Addendum: Don't forget to check out Jess alone at the A.A. on Thursday 1-2 as well!).

Saturday, August 12:

(AA) 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. The Young Dragons return! Our second signing of the con, bound to be filled with as many madcap antics as the first.

(WotC) 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Round Two of the Fighters duel. Jess and I return to finish what we started, this time at the Wizards booth proper! Draw, if you be a man!

Sunday, August 13:

(AA) 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. The master (apprentice?) reigns alone: I shall be carrying on this signing all by my lonesome. Ghostwalker, Hunting Game, The Greater Treasure, and perhaps something about Depths of Madness? Perhaps just a single hint? We'll see. It'll be a good one, I promise you.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As mentioned over in the Novels Thread, the cover art for Depths of Madness has somehow made an appearance on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786943149/sr=8-1/qid=1154028625/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2293820-0450560?ie=UTF8

An interesting cover. It's. . . how to describe it. . . deceptive.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 27 Jul 2006 20:31:46
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  20:45:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had most of that Erik, in my Gencon thread. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  22:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I had most of that Erik, in my Gencon thread. :)

Just spreading the word, my dear most excellent scribe.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  15:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome news, Erik!
Anything you can tell us about Depths? Perhaps we'll see team ups from your varied characters? And if you and Jess LeBow ever did a crossover, given how both your stories and characters need to continue (Hint hint, wink wink) That'd be one of the best pieces of Realms fiction ever, I'm certain.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  20:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depths is really really hush-hush. A lot of stuff covered by NDAs. I'm also keeping it mysterious, because it's supposed to be a mystery.

That said, I can drop a few of the hints I've dropped in the past:

1) There is a dungeon, of some kind (as hinted by the name of the series).
2) The cover is deceptive, particularly in who it chooses to portray. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the cover that don't involve giving away those things I can't otherwise give away.
3) One or more of the characters in the novel will -- to a reader of mine -- look familiar.

Also, in theory, for those coming to GenCon Indy, there may indeed be additional hints dropped at my signing on Sunday, August 13, at noon.

As for whether any of my characters (other than the one or more who may or may not be in Depths) will find more novel time, well, that's up to Wizards. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  20:38:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Depths is really really hush-hush. A lot of stuff covered by NDAs. I'm also keeping it mysterious, because it's supposed to be a mystery.

That said, I can drop a few of the hints I've dropped in the past:

1) There is a dungeon, of some kind (as hinted by the name of the series).
2) The cover is deceptive, particularly in who it chooses to portray. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the cover that don't involve giving away those things I can't otherwise give away.
3) One or more of the characters in the novel will -- to a reader of mine -- look familiar.

Also, in theory, for those coming to GenCon Indy, there may indeed be additional hints dropped at my signing on Sunday, August 13, at noon.

As for whether any of my characters (other than the one or more who may or may not be in Depths) will find more novel time, well, that's up to Wizards. :)

Cheers

So let me get this straight: You will answer any question so long as you are free to answer it, but you aren't free to answer many, but you will gladly answer said questions that are no proscribed unless you yourself have decided, for the sake of mystery, you shouldn't answer even something that you could answer. Is that pretty much it?

As far as what we have seen from the cover . . . well, its an elf and a tencalcally thing . . . where have we seen elves in your work before? Hm . . . although the elf in question doesn't really ring any bells for me.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  04:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

So let me get this straight: You will answer any question so long as you are free to answer it, but you aren't free to answer many, but you will gladly answer said questions that are no proscribed unless you yourself have decided, for the sake of mystery, you shouldn't answer even something that you could answer. Is that pretty much it?

Well, actually no. That's not "pretty much it" -- that's *exactly* it.

But to be fair and honest, there are a number of things about the novel I just CAN'T talk about (because of NDAs and the like), and I can't even hint that I might know them. If someone asks me a question and I say "NDA" then that might give more information than I intended (that it's something *important*). So my policy has been introducing information gradually, slowly, and very much as Wizards allows.

quote:
As far as what we have seen from the cover . . . well, its an elf and a tencalcally thing . . . where have we seen elves in your work before? Hm . . . although the elf in question doesn't really ring any bells for me.

Yep, I wouldn't imagine that particular elf would ring any bells.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  19:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, all!

Hail those who I met at GenCon, who ventured down the perilous cavern of author's alley, facing peril from all sides and decided it was not quite too perilous. Hail to Kuje and Dhomal! Hail to others I may have met but do not remember at the precise moment!

I should note that I was all set to answer questions about Depths of Madness on Sunday, and even read the prologue (which I did, to a couple of those stout souls who braved the untold perils). I cleared it with my editor that I could speak about it. . . albeit in the form of questions.

So now there are MORE questions that I can answer. Still nothing about the actual locale (NDA'd to the ribs), but perhaps who might be appearing. . . . well.

Perhaps one tiny hint.

Back in the day, people were asking about shadowdancers, and how there should be a Realms novel that featured them. And on that day, I bit my teeth and tore my hair but said nothing because of the dreaded NDA.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 Aug 2006 19:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, will there be Shadowdancers in your novel?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

Just one.

I find her name rather appropriate.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  22:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I got the chance to meet you at GenCon, Erik, but sorry we didn't find the time to raise a beer and make up Realms drinking songs with Ed. Maybe next year..... Then again, I'll need to attend more than 1.8 days of the show as well....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  23:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, sir! A pleasure meeting you as well.

I shall put the drinking songs on my schedule for next year.

Also, hopefully, I'll have finished your book by then, aye? Busy busy -- I know, that's no excuse!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  13:18:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just one.

Cheers

Duskspinner?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  14:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

Just one.

Cheers

Duskspinner?

Ha!

Actually, her name would be Twilight, but Duskspinner would be a cool alias. . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  03:30:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik

Just what is the deal with your "I'm a jolly englishman" vibe?

Secondly, and by far of the greatest import. We appear to be headed for a March 17, 2007 release of "The Depths of Madness" (or as I prefer to think of it - " 'lights greatest hits vol 1. I'm soooo Foxy ; the remixes")

This release date brings back to mind your promise from an earlier post. You said you were positive you could share more when we get to six months out.

So we are all waiting for Sep 17th, when I am sure you'll spill the beans

After all, when push comes to shove you may be a "cheeky little devil", but you are nothing if not a Man of Honor. (and a lanky dude with a 'bitchin' broadsword)

You got six days....use them well. Bwa HA HA

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Sep 2006 04:31:34
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Just what is the deal with your "I'm a jolly englishman" vibe?

You mean. . . I'm *not* a jolly englishman? [sniff]

Just kidding. I'm totally an anglophile.

quote:
Secondly, and by far of the greatest import. We appear to be headed for a March 17, 2007 release of "The Depths of Madness" (or as I prefer to think of it - " 'lights greatest hits vol 1. I'm soooo Foxy ; the remixes")

Is that the listed date? Hmm. Interesting, that.

quote:
This release date brings back to mind your promise from an earlier post. You said you were positive you could share more when we get to six months out.

I don't recall saying "positive" (ah, the shadowy evasions begin!), but I do recall the discussion in question (or maybe they don't).

quote:
So we are all waiting for Sep 17th. . .

Four year anniversary with the little lady, by the by.

quote:
. . .when I am sure you'll spill the beans

Ah. Pull my finger?

quote:
After all, when push comes to shove you may be a "cheeky little devil", but you are nothing if not a Man of Honor. (and a lanky dude with a 'bitchin' broadsword)

I'll have you know I'm only *partly* a devil.

And I've got a number of swords: a bitchin' broadsword, a kick-ass katana, a wacky wakizashi, a sassy scimitar, a stabbity short sword, a loquacious longsword, and a few others.

quote:
You got six days....use them well. Bwa HA HA

A lot can be done in six days. . . Earth, for instance (apparently).

But, to end my banter and answer your questions,

1) I do have a list of things I can talk about and say about Depths, which is preapproved by my editor. I got this list for GenCon, and it's not a terribly long list, and I think it makes sense to use it here.

2) I haven't decided yet if I'm just going to say the things I'm going to say, or I'm going to start answering questions as though I can say them (which, at the time, I'd be able to).

3) Don't know if I'm going to do any announcing, either. Maybe my tongue loosening will only prove relevant for those "in the know."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:15:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean. . . I'm *not* a jolly englishman? [sniff]

Well, I suppose you could be. You certainly are jolly.

And the Anglophile thing, don't worry about it...I think Angelina Jolie is great too!!
quote:

Is that the listed date? Hmm. Interesting, that.

Well it looks like it could be....
Depths of MadnessBWA HAA HAA HAA
quote:

I don't recall saying "positive" (ah, the shadowy evasions begin!), but I do recall the discussion in question (or maybe they don't).

Maybe I took a little liberty there with your words(how very de Bie of me) but, you did say ..." 6 months prior to release -- that's usually a reasonable time to start teasing, but until then. . . No info from me."
quote:

Congratulations!! Our twelfth is Nov. 11th, *excuses himself for a moment as he turns and says "Yes, dear.....I'll tell him all 'bout the fine wine thingy" ahemmm, where was I ..Oh yes it keeps getting better with time like a .....
quote:

Ah. Pull my finger?

Ahhh yes....that drole English humor....."I say Sir, that was quite amusing...I'm sure."
quote:

Point well taken Sir! Your a right cheeky little Tiefling you are!
quote:

And I've got a number of swords: a bitchin' broadsword, a kick-ass katana, a wacky wakizashi, a sassy scimitar, a stabbity short sword, a loquacious longsword, and a few others.
If I did not know you I'd say your a braggart! But as it is, quite an impressive collection! P.S. Steven Schend says "A giggly little Ginsu wouldst me more likely!" **hmmmmm ....wonders if Steven can hear my words after I say his name??** (Mental note, find out that answer before putting words into another Sages mouth the next time!)

quote:

A lot can be done in six days. . . Earth, for instance (apparently).

and the Heavens even
quote:

But, to end my banter and answer your questions,

1) I do have a list of things I can talk about and say about Depths, which is preapproved by my editor. I got this list for GenCon, and it's not a terribly long list, and I think it makes sense to use it here.
Now your Talking!
quote:

2) I haven't decided yet if I'm just going to say the things I'm going to say, or I'm going to start answering questions as though I can say them (which, at the time, I'd be able to).

Damn you de Bie!!!! Damn you to....*ahem* sorry just channeling Planet of the Apes.
quote:

3) Don't know if I'm going to do any announcing, either. Maybe my tongue loosening will only prove relevant for those "in the know."

Cheers

Can I please be in the know? Your the bestest writer ever, I swear!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods and goddesses, a page long quip.

[sniff] A man after my own heart.

quote:

quote:

Well, I suppose you could be. You certainly are jolly.

And the Anglophile thing, don't worry about it...I think Angelina Jolie is great too!!

Snap. lol. roflmfho. All that.

quote:
Well it looks like it could be....
Depths of Madness BWA HAA HAA HAA

It gave me the best excuse to get people to stop distracting me while I was working. "I'm in the Depths of Madness and can't be disturbed!!!"

quote:

quote:
Congratulations!! Our twelfth is Nov. 11th, *excuses himself for a moment as he turns and says "Yes, dear.....I'll tell him all 'bout the fine wine thingy" ahemmm, where was I ..Oh yes it keeps getting better with time like a ....

Thanks! Really means I've got five days to get excellence together, now don't I?

quote:
quote:
Ah. Pull my finger?

Ahhh yes....that drole English humor....."I say Sir, that was quite amusing...I'm sure."

Ah, the legendary Erik de Bie wit -- or at least half of it.

Or something. Right. Um. Yes.

quote:
quote:

Point well taken Sir! Your a right cheeky little Tiefling you are!

I've written a number of stat blocks for myself over the years -- NG human wizard 5, CG human bard 2 / ranger 1, NG half-elf ranger 3, LG human commoner 1, etc., but I think my tiefling Disciple of Baalzebul one was still the most fitting.

quote:
If I did not know you I'd say your a braggart!

Well, if you wouldn't say that, clearly you don't know me.

quote:
But as it is, quite an impressive collection! P.S. Steven Schend says "A giggly little Ginsu wouldst me more likely!" **hmmmmm ....wonders if Steven can hear my words after I say his name??** (Mental note, find out that answer before putting words into another Sages mouth the next time!)

Oh, I imagine he can hear the next 11 words spoken after his name. In this case, he heard "says a giggly little ginsu wouldst me more likely hmmm wonders."

Do you think he'll look into it?

Do you think he's looking into it now?

Have you got your shields up?

quote:
quote:

Damn you de Bie!!!! Damn you to....*ahem* sorry just channeling Planet of the Apes.

I kinda prefer KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

(Except in my case, it's more like "con" -- and not like gaming, but more like fast-talking and stealing.)

quote:
Can I please be in the know?

You're already in the know. You know that I'll be able to answer questions.

Heck, maybe I can answer questions right now.

quote:
Your the bestest writer ever, I swear!

Poppycock.

I'll have you know that the bestest best writer ever was Allexara Yevette Nievskya of the World of Discord. In The Annals of The Worlds, her (his? both?) prose was such that if you heard even a single sentence your brain would liquefy and dribble out your ears even as your physical body exploded into exactly one thousand three hundred thirty-seven and one half pieces in ecstasy.

Scholars are divided on this point, since very few non-omnipotent beings could listen to Allexara's work without instant destruction, and since omnipotent beings are notoriously close-mouthed about their own abilities (so anyone who claims to be omnipotent obviously isn't), no one could ever tell if the writing was really good, or just rubbish that makes people explode.

Therefore, it's often easier and more effective (not to mention safer) to contend that the bestest writer ever is either William Shakespeare (poser) of Earth's 16th and 17th centuries, or the immortal Philos Philanamous Phrexia, native of the world of Beauty, whose prose lulls hordes of nubile maidens to eternal, ecstatic sleep and has been known to destroy entire civilizations with jealousy (though, I suppose, that might have been the maidens).

Phrexia's poetry, on the other hand, is just crap, and Willy's got him beat there.

It's a coin toss, really.

In other news, Shelley (my own personal angel) finished reading my draft of Depths last night and told me, in no uncertain terms, that it had an ending of surpassing awesomeness.

Though no one exploded.

Outside the book, anyway.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 12 Sep 2006 19:49:21
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  21:13:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If nothing else, I'm a quick study.

quote:

It gave me the best excuse to get people to stop distracting me while I was working. "I'm in the Depths of Madness and can't be disturbed!!!"
That Sir, is downright Derstlike..err Barslike...ummm...What I mean is. it is rather like something Bars and Derst would Say!

quote:

Thanks! Really means I've got five days to get excellence together, now don't I?

Oh dear , oh dear.....my, my, my....will you younglings ever learn??(I be 33, but me thinks u b younger)
If you are striving for an anniversary of excellence, then we have aimed a little low haven't we my good man. When you shoot for perfection however , and then even when you miss the mark your much closer to perfection! I know, 11 anniversaries and still trying.
****Spoiler : Highlight below to read, if you dare.
The closer the diamond is to perfect the better the anniversary
quote:
Ah, the legendary Erik de Bie wit -- or at least half of it.
Without half-wits, the Full wits wouldn't feel quite so damn smug, would they?

quote:
I've written a number of stat blocks for myself over the years -- NG human wizard 5, CG human bard 2 / ranger 1, NG half-elf ranger 3, LG human commoner 1, etc., but I think my tiefling Disciple of Baalzebul one was still the most fitting.
If you say so.

I would be more interested in you wife's stat block of you That would be most fitting indeed.
quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerIf I did not know you I'd say your a braggart!

Well, if you wouldn't say that, clearly you don't know me.
[black]Well I would have called you a Braggart, but I did not want to appear to be bragging about how well I know you.
quote:

Oh, I imagine he can hear the next 11 words spoken after his name. In this case, he heard "says a giggly little ginsu wouldst me more likely hmmm wonders."

In that case, "Steven Schend..The bestest author ever is Steven Schend, duh deBie it's obvious" HA, take those 11 words of praising prose. I don't care who you are , that there is funny.
quote:

If he doesn't, that wouldn't be very Omnipotent of him would it. We might sense weakness in him if he doesn't!

quote:
Quit mixing your fantsy metaphors Erik! Dammit Jim I'm a reader not a Hrasted author!! *and scene*
quote:
You're already in the know. You know that I'll be able to answer questions.

Heck, maybe I can answer questions right now.
Im in the know....I KNEW IT!!Darn....didn't....expect...direct...answer.....must....think....of....question.

Umm..you caught me flatfooted at work, I'll have to think up a worthy query and ask after I get home. *kicks at ground*(Stupid Work)

quote:
Your the bestest writer ever, I swear!

I beleive I answered that earliery.. Steven Schend....."Erik, I told you already Steven's the bestest author"

quote:

quote:
In other news, Shelley (my own personal angel) finished reading my draft of Depths last night and told me, in no uncertain terms, that it had an ending of surpassing awesomeness.

Glad to hear it! Mayhaps she is buttering you up for 6 days hence though and she has veiled the truth from you....BWA HA HA

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Sep 2006 21:33:50
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  21:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That Sir, is downright Derstlike..err Barslike...ummm...What I mean is. it is rather like something Bars and Derst would Say!

* Well, between the two of them, they've got wit down to a w. (see ** below)

quote:
Oh dear , oh dear.....my, my, my....will you younglings ever learn??(I be 33, but me thinks u b younger)

Ah yes. I am a proud 20-something.

quote:
Without half-wits, the Full wits wouldn't feel quite so damn smug, would they?

Now that's indeed true, and very much something Derst would say. (For a practical joke on the subject, see * above).

quote:
I would be more interested in you wife's stat block of you That would be most fitting indeed.

I've only managed to get her to play D&D once -- a psychotic pyromanic gnome sorcerer. Worked pretty well. We're on a good path, I think, and she might play next time in my piratical adventure.

quote:
quote:

If he doesn't, that wouldn't be very Omnipotent of him would it. We might sense weakness in him if he doesn't!

That's just not possible.

quote:
quote:
Quit mixing your fantsy metaphors Erik! Dammit Jim I'm a reader not a Hrasted author!! *and scene*

Not mixing, actually. I've seen magical defenses described as shields in Realms novels. Mostly in archmage-type battles.

Though now that I think about it, wasn't that RotAW, by Denning? Doesn't he write Star Wars now?

Conspiracy!

quote:
Umm..you caught me flatfooted at work, I'll have to think up a worthy query and ask after I get home. *kicks at ground*(Stupid Work)

Hey -- you know what happens when a tiefling with sneak attack catch you flatfooted.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  15:19:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah yes. I am a proud 20-something.
Good, we have far too many 20-nothings running around!

quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerWithout half-wits, the Full wits wouldn't feel quite so damn smug, would they?

Now that's indeed true, and very much something Derst would say. (For a practical joke on the subject, see * above).

Excellent, twas my intention all along I swear. Feel free to pla....err, I mean borrow it for the future

quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerI would be more interested in you wife's stat block of you That would be most fitting indeed.

I've only managed to get her to play D&D once -- a psychotic pyromanic gnome sorcerer. Worked pretty well. We're on a good path, I think, and she might play next time in my piratical adventure.
Ah, I see now. So her fantastic conjurations and sorceries set your heart aflame.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker[i]If he doesn't, that wouldn't be very Omnipotent of him would it. We might sense weakness in him if he doesn't!

quote:
That's just not possible.
You are right , I sense no weakness in him.

quote:

Not mixing, actually. I've seen magical defenses described as shields in Realms novels. Mostly in archmage-type battles.

Though now that I think about it, wasn't that RotAW, by Denning? Doesn't he write Star Wars now?

Conspiracy!
Yeah, you confused me with the "Kaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnn" line the confounded me by switching back to Arch Magish lingo.

quote:

Hey -- you know what happens when a tiefling with sneak attack catch you flatfooted.

Cheers

No, no I don't in fact. Lucky the last time it happened , the tiefling was a friend and just said "boo"

But, I can imagine you might have something more sinister for an ememy?

P.S.
quote:
quote:

By the by....is there such a thing as a quip to long?

P.P.S.
Can you disclose the general vicinity of the Realms where "The Depths of Madness" are located??

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Sep 2006 15:29:11
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  15:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red WalkerWithout half-wits, the Full wits wouldn't feel quite so damn smug, would they?

Feel free to pla....err, I mean borrow it for the future

Well, if you ever see that joke out of, say, Derst's lips, or perhaps the lovely ones of Twilight, know that I was thinking of you.

quote:
Ah, I see now. So her fantastic conjurations and sorceries set your heart aflame.

Something like that indeed.

quote:
No, no I don't in fact. Lucky the last time it happened , the tiefling was a friend and just said "boo"

But, I can imagine you might have something more sinister for an ememy?

Hey RW . . . BOO!

quote:
By the by....is there such a thing as a quip to long?

Oh no. But since brevity is the soul of wit, less is more, adjectives are dumb, and all that. . . .

quote:
P.P.S.
Can you disclose the general vicinity of the Realms where "The Depths of Madness" are located??

Nope. Nuh-uh. No sir. That's a big no-no. NDA NDA NDA.

Plus, if I disclosed it, it would ruin one of the great mysteries, now wouldn't it?

Other things I absolutely positively cannot (NDA) and will not (sense) discuss: the location(s), the villain(s), the plot(s), the force(s) involved.

This is a damnably mysterious book, fraught with spoilers, and it's nigh-impossible to convey much in the way of information without giving away too much. It's a folding book -- one that reveals more and more as you read, and you won't know everything (at least for sure) until the very, very last sentence.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you answer technical questions that geeks like me care about?

Number of pages?
Number of chapters?
Prologue? Epilogue? Interlude?
Did you write your own author's biography?
Is it dedicated to me?
Can you tell us the back cover description?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Number of pages?

I couldn't say. It will be roughly 90k-95k words, and knowing WotC, they will fit it all in about 320 pages. Typesetters are like demipowers.

quote:
Number of chapters?

Prologue? Epilogue? Interlude?

The number of chapters -- I can't promise it won't change, but as I have the draft now, there are twenty-nine chapters, plus a prologue and an epilogue. Action from line 1 to the very, very last, as I said.

quote:
Did you write your own author's biography?

I did indeed, as I write most things that end up on the web about me. The wizards biography, the Ghostwalker interview, the character profile, etc., etc.

quote:
Is it dedicated to me?

Not unless you happen to be one of the three people to whom I plan to dedicate the book, and I'm pretty sure you're not at least two of them (one of whom is my wife).

quote:
Can you tell us the back cover description?

I don't know the back cover description, because I haven't seen it yet. I probably won't write it. In fact, it's 99% certain I won't write it. That's for the WotC staff to do -- probably my editor herself, or Phil.

I was pretty pleased with the Ghostwalker cover text, though I thought the word "gyrspike" might throw a few people. Turned out well, though. It bears a passing resemblance to what I had mused about for the cover, but I doubt it was based upon it.

If that cover job's any indication, the text will be good.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, let the man be...I don't think he can really devulge any more info about that book...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  19:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Sheesh, let the man be...I don't think he can really devulge any more info about that book...

Ha! Thanks Kalin -- I'm just a masochist, it seems.

Very well. I shall not be guarded, and I shall reveal, word for word (er -- mostly) what I am allowed to say (approved by my editor) of the tome:

1) What's it about?

"It's a fantasy thriller where a number of prisoners have to band together, pitting their wits and skills to escape a dark dungeon with their lives. . . and their sanity."

2) Who's the main character?

"Twilight, star of 'The Greater Treasure,' which is in [hold up RotE anthology]."

3) (As a corollary) Wow! That's her on the cover?

"Nope. The cover's deceptive -- much like the novel itself."

4) (As a further corollary) Who *is* it then?

"Taslin."

4a) Um. . .

"Can't say who/what her attacker might be. I've been told it looks like everything from Cthulu to a daelkyr. I should note, however, that I have NOT crossed into Eberron. "

5) Who was your favorite character to write about?

"Tough to choose -- the book has something of an ensemble cast. Aside from Twilight, that would be Slip (a cheerful, bubbly halfling thief with a number of secrets -- well, they all have those) or Davoren (a sinister, cruel warlock). None of the characters are what they seem."

6) What was your favorite scene to write?

"I liked it all, but I especially liked the first chapter, the last chapter, and the epilogue -- which I actually wrote in that order before I wrote anything else. No worries -- I'm not going to hint at what happens."

7) What game books/accessories did you use?

"As you may have gathered from the "between-the-lines" feel of Ghostwalker, I stick close to the rules and ground the various permutations firmly in the different accessories. I won't say which region sourcebooks I might (or might not) have used (for obvious reasons), but I will say that the various Completes, the Races, and the FR books played important roles. And the BoVD*, of course."

(*That would be Book of Vile Darkness (), for the non-gamer. Nyah! Scary! Nyah!)

And that's about it. I can answer further questions, a little, about these things, but when in doubt, I'm going to keep myself tight-lipped and reveal nothing. Don't take it personally.

Once again, there will be nothing about:

1) location(s)
2) villain(s) / antagonist(s) / involved extraplanar entities
3) mystery / plot (other than the general, "band-together with diverse individuals, dungeon-crawl to escape" kind of thing)

So -- there you have it.

I'll add a couple things that aren't really about the book itself:

Timeline: Uktar/Nightal 1374 (this may change -- I guess we'll see)

Genre: Sword & Sorcery, Fantasy Thriller / Mystery with influences from modern horror film/technique (in particular, there are homages to "Saw" and "The Thing"). Also, I happen to be a great fan of Japanese horror, and increasingly of anime. Whether that has bearing on the actual book, I guess we'll see.

Soundtrack: That's a tough one. A lot of the associated music is there because *Twilight* is there, and she has some of her own soundtrack (Evanescence features keenly on it -- and Kitty ). Closer to the release date, I will inevitably post a list of songs I think accompany the book well, at least in my own head. If your musical tastes differ, you are invited -- nay, encouraged! -- to dismiss my musical ramblings completely.

Easter Eggs: As was the case in Ghostwalker, I may or may not have laced in a couple easter eggs (usually in reference to songs or scenes from movies/TV) for the diligent (or just lucky) searcher, which may or may not disappear in editing, as they may or may not have been there in the first place. (Oh, the shadows beckon!)

If they appear to exist in the print draft, I shall award prizes to those who find them.

Prizes like respect.

And a jolly pat on the head -- digitally speaking, of course.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  19:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, all this talk about Twilight.

**sigh**

I think that I have to put my dwarven hands in the RoTE soon.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000