Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Kaladorm's Campaign Journal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  12:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daleson's dream:

During your final few hours of rest, you are troubled by maelstrom of images swirling around inside your dreams.

You see storm clouds roiling overhead, prepared to unleash their fury on the ground, and yet they do not. They instead travel with urgency across the sky, passing overhead.
You do not know how long it seems you stand there, it may be many minutes or many hours, but finally the storm clouds halt, perfectly still, in stark contrast to the fast pace previously.
When you look up to the sky, you can see the outline of the sun shining behind the clouds, then it fades away into dark night quickly. Instead of rain, four single drops of blood fall from the sky towards you.
One lands behind you and illuminates the darkness in front of you, but this is no blessing, for you see the outline of a gargantuan skeletal beast with flesh trailing from its body in a multitude of different colours. The beast is wearing a crown created out of bones and sharp teeth. The light is then gone and you see nothing.
The next drop flashes past your eyes to your feet, and fizzles away into the ground into nothingness, a wail of sorrow and loss fills your ears and then is gone.
Another drop falls to the floor in front of you and explodes into blinding light. Thus stricken you can no longer see the land surrounding you, but before panic sets in there is a call in the air 'Save me!'
The voice is both old and young, and is full of pain yet full of joy.
Instinctively you reach out, and feel a warm liquid land on the back of your left hand. As the blood absorbs into your skin you feel warmth and your sight return. The voice is warm and soft now, and fades away with the blood 'My lost son'.
With your returned sight you can see the skies begin to rain blood anew, this time with the urgency seen before, and all the power of the storm. Yet no drops come near you, and this wrath appears to be directed at others, and protective of yourself.

You awake.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  19:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next morning, Valanwé is outside, and sees Daleson alone for a moment. With a quiet call of "Master Daleson" and a slight beckoning gesture with his hand, he attempts to gain his attention.

Daleson turns at the call of his name. "Ah, Valanwé . Please," he says as he motions for him to approach. When Valanwé comes closer he quietly asks, "Is there something you wish to speak with me about?"

"Indeed," says Valanwé, speaking softly, so as not to be overheard. "I feel I must ask of you the reason for your choice to pursue this 'Ronald'? Please know that whatever you decide is the best course, I will follow. You have my loyalty, (and my friendship, should you so wish it), and I do not seek to question your judgement. However, I find that my heart tells me that we must continue our search for the Blood of Lathander."

He pauses for a moment, before continuing: "To say more is difficult for me, so I hope that you will not think that I wish to cause offence; I have no doubt that your devotion to the Morninglord is sure, and unwavering, and I do not question that - indeed, I see it in you with each moment that passes. I do however wonder how he may look upon a diversion to our quest, with a motive of little more than retribution? As I have said before, I mean no offence, and I certainly do not wish you to think that I will not follow you - that is not in question. I do feel that we must consider carefully how to continue though: 'Ronald' may have little or all to do with our quest, but whilst this remains unclear, I would favour continuing as we have previously intended."

Daleson listens to Valanwé intently, and as he listens he begins to fidget and turn red. Red not from anger, but from shame.
When Valanwé finishes Daleson speaks, "I know your words to be true, friend. While I am a devout follower of the Morninglord, there are those of us who follow a... different path. Of that you will certainly learn more of as we journey together. For now, however, I thank you for your words of wisdom. While human, I was raised by dwarves, and I fear their temperment has rubbed on to me, and not always for the best. I am not so stubborn as to ignore wise words, however, so I will set our path back on finding the Blood of Lathander."
Daleson extends his arm to Valanwé and adds, "I do mean friend when I say those words. You have helped guide our journey and I would not want to venture on without you." He waits for Valanwé's arm in order to seal their bond of friendship in the traditions of old, with a firm embrace of each other's arms.

Valanwé, trying to be as gracious as possible, returns the embrace and speaks: "I thank you for your confidence in me, friend," he says, emphasising the last word. "I believe that our quest may reveal more about each of us than we should imagine! I myself could be called somewhat 'unconventional' as an Elf," he smiles as he says this, "but I believe that whatever path we take, as long as our deeds are done in good will, with honour, and courage, our cause will prevail."

"Come," he says, raising an arm toward the house. "Shall we return?"

Edited by - Kaladorm on 12 Jun 2005 22:36:56
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  02:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the road, having departed the cottage, with his familliar a short distance ahead, and flying above the trees, Valanwé finds himself feeling unsettled, and not for the first time that morning. Directing Arcanen's path with a steady hand on the reins, he walks the horse from one side of the group to the other, until he rides next to Selm. Having gained Selm's attention, he gestures with his hand to hold back slightly, until the pair find themselves at the back of the group.

Holding back to speak to the elf, Selm looks at Valanwé as a cue to speak.
"Something troubling you?"

"My friend," says Valanwé to Selm, with a hint of sadness in his voice, "my heart is disquiet, and I can go no further without offering my contrition for what duty I put upon you this morning."

Selm pauses, thinking carefully about what to say but Valanwé continues
anyway so Selm decides to simply listen to the elf speak.

"It was not my intention, nor my wish that you perform the ritual that transpired - I had merely sought to highlight an option open to the group; for that I owe you an apology. Perhaps it was not my place to ask. Peradventure you remember my words to you last night - on neither of the occasions we spoke did I express an advocation for that choice. Indeed, if memory serves, on the second occasion - though perhaps my choice of words was ambigious - I had meant to imply that my preference was against this course of action."

"It's alright, really it is. I know you probably like what I did less than I did myself. Whether it was ultimately necessary or not is hard to say but my aim was noble, I know this because I otherwise I would never have been granted the ability to do so. Perhaps that may bring you some comfort, though I am not hopeful. I sense you are somewhat distressed as it is but that's currently not on the agenda. I understand your position and I did not want to cause offence to anybody." He smiles wryly, "But sadly it seems that
I always cause offence to someone."

"I am grateful. I should wish not to speak more of this matter. I have seen enough of such things for one span allready."

"I am genuinely glad you told me this. I notice Trahaearn did not look particularly happy about the prospect either so I am truly sorry for this. Mayhaps I should consult more carefully before I cause anyone anybody else more trouble." He adds in a low undertone "especially me."

"Now!" says Valanwé, a sudden burst of energy in his voice. "It is time to prove that the Elves have a sense of humour. A 'tale of amusing conclusion' to lighten our spirits perhaps?"

"Very well," says Valanwé, "I shall begin." He pauses, and appears to be lost in thought for a second, but as quickly as he stops, he begins, and exclaims: "So my friends, there was a Paladin, a Barbarian and a Blackguard walking through a large field one day. For the purposes of the joke, they find a magic lamp, containing a very powerful Djinni, who agrees to grant them wishes.

"The barbarian, slightly enraged that the Djinni had interrupted their pleasant walk in the sunshine charges up to the Djinni, and shouts vociferously: 'I wish to see a therapist!!!' The Djinni looks puzzled, and the Barbarian continues, more quietly: 'I can't stand this rage - this mindless need to destroy!!' The Djinni clicks his fingers, and the Barbarian is instantly teleported off to the local Elven quack doctor.

"The Paladin steps up, carefully avoiding her now morally suspect ex-comrade-at-arms. 'I wish for you to build an impenetrable stronghold for my army to rest safely in!' she says, in a strong, commanding voice. The Djinni again clicks his fingers, and about half a mile away, at the farthest corner of the field, a huge castle appears. The Paladin sets off, and the Blackguard steps up.

"'Now,' he says to the Djinni. 'Tell me about that castle...' The Djinni again looks puzzled, but does as the Blackguard instructs: 'Well sir,' he says. 'It is a secure fortress to say the least. Walls one hundred feet high, battlements, artillery positions - it has it all.' At this point, the Paladin returns, looking VERY angry.

"'But no doors?' inquires the Blackguard, matter-of-factly. 'No,' says the Djinni, with a wicked smile. 'She did say `impenetrable`, did she not?' The Blackguard nods in agreement.

"'I protest!' shouts the Paladin. 'My army is inside, but I can't get in!' The Djinni mutters something under his breath. 'Excuse me,' says the Blackguard to the Djinni, both of them now ignoring the Paladin. 'I'd like to make a wish...'

"The Djinni sighs, clearly tiring of the Paladins complaints: 'Go on...' he says to the Blackguard. 'Well, that fortress is impenetrable, correct?' he asks. 'Correct,' says the Djinni. 'Excellent,' replies the Blackguard. 'Fill it with water....'"

Glad that Valanwé does not seem too upset about the events, or at least not that he was showing, Selm grins as he finishes the joke. "You do not appear to be a bard but your delivery isn't half bad. Sadly," he exaggerates a wince, "your material was old before the Dawn Cataclysm! Still," he pats Valanwé on the arm, "I am glad your spirits have improved somewhat."

"Aye," says Valanwé, "I believe they have." He pauses and grins, raising his eyebrows, with a glint in his eyes. Speaking in a deliberately 'put-on' and overtly patronising manner he continues: "And anyway my dear young friend - old material or no - I'm only 124 - how is that anywhere near long enough to learn the intricacies and complexities of joke-telling?" He laughs quietly to himself, and hopes that Selm will take his retort in the light-hearted manner it was intended.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 12 Jun 2005 11:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  22:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rest of the journey to the ruins of Aencars Manor pass
uneventfully, the party chatting to each other, or keeping to
themselves as each deems fit. With their goal clearly in sight, the
party approaches their task of retrieving the holy artifact, for what
ever reasons guide them.

In sight of the crumbling towers of the once proud manor, is a broken
wagon. Its side is pierced by many arrows, the left wheel is snapped
into many small pieces, and there are scorch marks along the side
leaning toward the ground. Two horses lie dead, their harnesses
still attached, and flies buzzing about the corpses. The smaller of
the two has had its front legs broken, possibly by a fall, and a
discerning eye can see a thin wire wrapped around its legs.
Upon closer inspection, one finds that the inside of the wagon
was an area once sacred to Lathander. Any holy symbols that were once
there now lie shattered and broken, anything bearing the morninglords
mark has been desecrated.
Interestingly enough, despite the many bloodstains and a human arm
severed at the elbow, there are no human corpses lying about the
wreckage.

As the group of adventurers approach the manor, some half an hour
later, it still appears to be a recent stately home and an impressive
landmark.
In the light of day the manor still seems foreboding, and a dark pall
appears to hang around its towers, which at a closer distance are
clearly in disrepair. The Manor's low, ornamental outer walls lean
crazily amid the trees and creepers, and in places have fallen down
entirely. They enclose only traces of the once-splendid gardens, but
at the heart of the brambles the massive, roofless central castle
still throws its stone spires to the sky. There are splendid relief
carvings of mounted knights on the ramparts.
This splendour is belied by the rumours around these ruins. Folk of
Battledale swear that Aencar's ghost, his face now a melting ruin,
rushes with silent menace around his castle, attacking all intruders
with his spectral blade that withers the flesh it touches.

The only accessible parts of the the ruins are the manor itself, and a
crumbling tower. The towers roof has fallen in, as has one side of the
fourth floor. The manor itself is accessible via the front door after
removing the brambles that have grown up, seemingly to guard the
manor, though whether to keep whatever's inside in, or whatever's
outside out is anybody's guess.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 31 Jul 2005 12:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  17:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussiens face went grim with the sight of the ruins. Whoever had taken the artifact was now gone and the prized items were ruined. He was sure this affected all in the party, but he wasn't sure how.

When they got the Manor Elussien quickly looked around his eyes moving about quickly. He wasn't sure what was inside, but it couldn't be good. He looked to Dale.

"Well, what say you Dale? We headed in or stayin outside to catch the breeze?" A slight smirk crosses his lips.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  22:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Everyone spread out down here," Daleson commands, assuming the role he's been placed in. "Try to see if anything out of the ordinary turns up. If the murderers," he grits from clenched teeth, "have entered here we will hunt them down and exact revenge for my bretheren's deaths. Otherwise, we can waste no time exploring these unholy ruins."

Caylith nods, draws her sword and moves to spread out.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 16 Jun 2005 01:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  01:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having surveyed the view himself for a few moments, Valanwé snaps his fingers together producing a crackle of blue energy as he does so, and with the sound of wings flapping, Venterus comes to rest on a nearby wall.

Speaking in their shared private language, Valanwé instructs the Eagle: "I want you to fly above these brambles, and look closely at the outsides of the buildings here. Remeber to look for creatures who may be lurking around. Be especially wary of attackers - fly high if you sense that there may be danger. Look for any entrances there may be, other than the ones apparent to us here. Remember anything you see through windows or breaks in the masonry, and if you can, safely, please fly over the the roofs of the buildings and the tower also. I am particularly interested in anything you may see inside the tower. Take your time over the task, and do not move on until you have completed a thorough examination of the area you are in, unless there is danger. Report back to me with all that you see, or if you are attacked. Be careful, and may the skies protect you."

The Eagle screeches, and flies off to begin its task. Valanwé meanwhile, takes several large stones from the ground, and throws them at random, one at a time into the brambles nearby, on the off chance that they are perhaps no ordinary brambles, and may be more sinister than the thorns they bear suggest.

Venterus finds a trap door at the back of the house which is overgrown
by brambles and vines.
The majority of the back gardens have been taken over by a mass of
weeds and rotting vegetation, and Venterus notices that the mound near
the trap door appears to be moving slightly.
He lands on the small windows of the tower and looks around inside but
finds nothing but moldering tomes, mundane supplies, and furniture in
various states of decay.

Immediately as Venterus finishes giving his report, Valanwé moves toward Daleson and the others, and beckons them toward him. Indicating the need for quiet, with a finger to his mouth, he moves until he feels that he will be able to be heard without raising his voice above a quiet speech.

"Friends," he says, in a quiet voice, "Venterus has made some discoveries. There is another entrance to the mansion - a trapdoor towards the rear of the house. It is overgrown - but I believe it can be made accessible from what I am told. There is however, something moving nearby to that location - I fear that we are not alone in this desolate place."

He looks to Daleson primarily, for a response, but waits to see who speaks.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  11:48:56  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien watched as Valanwe's bird searched the terrain. He knew that they were in trouble even before the bird came backk with the info of their intruder.

"Alright, let me take a look before we take action. Whatever 'it' is, might be something we would be best to avoid. I'll be only a few minutes."

Without even waiting for an approval from daleson or anyone else for that matter, Elussien moved quickly into the brush and weaved about keeping as hidden as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caylith shakes her head and says very softly (almost under her breath), "That one would be wise to learn that often times working together is less dangerous the working alone."
Louder (but still quiet) she looks to Daleson and asks, "Thoughts?"

Quietly, he says, "While we appear to be the brawn in this group, I fear we may carry the wisdom and brains also. Just keep an eye out for trouble and we shall help when needed." A small, playful smile plays across his lips and he winks at the woman.

She nods in return and draws her sword. Her eyes unfocus for a second and she stairs into space.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 17 Jun 2005 18:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  18:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nodding at Caylith's words, Selm motions to those left standing to prepare
for action. He then carefully slips away in the opposite direction to
Elussien and Valanwé to approach from a different angle and intervene as
necessary.

Valanwé signals to Venterus, who rests back atop the manor wall, to follow Elussien, and keep watch over him. Valanwé then follows Elussien himself, stopping at the edge of the foliage.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  18:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien moves silently back to the group, standing near Valanwe.

"It would appear that whatever this thing is, it is a creature unknown to myself. It looks like a pile of rotting vegetation. If anyone has any thoughts on killin this thing, please present your ideas. I would think fire would be best... anyone got torches?"

"Torches and oil if anyone has them. Does anyone have any magic fire?" Daleson looks around as everyone takes stock of their supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  11:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I can bring up destructive fire," says Valanwé, "but should I unleash it, beware - you have seen this fire once allready in the woods - it is both powerful and bright - you must keep back from the target if I am to keep you safe."

To those left at the front of the manor house..."Perhaps we should split up and circle around to back up the others." Caylith says.

"We may want to hurry before they get into trouble." Daleson moves around the building the same direction as Selm and Caylith did.

Valanwé follows directly in Elussien's footsteps, a short distance behind him. "Watch your step friend," he whispers to him with a slight hiss in his voice, "but do not attack until we know there is a hostile target - what Venterus has seen my only be a small animal."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  15:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien nods quietly as he moves along with Valanwe. With one quick motion he slipped out his crossbow and loaded it as they moved. He would be ready when this attack transpired.

His voice came in a tenative hiss just like Valanwe. "Be careful with ye fire friend. I don't want to be a mark upon the dirt." He grinned and tried to move as silently as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  15:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Aye," says Valanwé quietly, shooting back the smile, "I would not have you so. Another mode of attack might be preferable - I do not want to risk engulfing us all in flames by inadvertanty setting fire to the grasses and brambles. Watch ye also those with torches - see that the sparks do not fall in dry places."

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  15:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having successfully moved close enough to observe the mound without
seemingly alerting it to his presence, Selm waits a while to observe the
creature. Before anything much can happen, the rest of the party have moved
around to join him. He motions to them to keep the noise down and gestures
at the mound, trying to show it is not really doing anything. He shrugs his
shoulders, as if to say 'Well, what now?'
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  15:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The majority of the party manage to move into the vicinity of the
mound unnoticed.
As Daleson ploughs his way through the brush, his armour glinting in
the sunlight and creaking as he moved, the mound suddenly leaps up, to
stand 6 foot tall and around 8 feet in girth.
Only Elussien and Valanwé are unsurprised by this turn of events, the
rest of the party stand shocked as what they thought was just another
pile of brambles, rears up and lashes out at Daleson.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  17:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Stay back!" hisses Valanwé to Elussien in a loud whisper, "If you do, I can
cast - but I do not wish to injure you."

Valanwé shoots a glance at Elussien as he speaks, hoping that he will attack
from range, and not charge forwards.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  23:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien listens closely to Valanwe as the wizard directs the action of combat. With ease of movement he slips back several steps all the while taking aim with his crossbow.
"GET OUT OF THERE, that thing isnt gonna die by ye sword!" He mutters under his breath to something of the effect 'idiot', then shoots his bolt! The stress of the situation was either gonna kill him or one of their party. He had become a member so quickly, and he wasnt about to lose one of them now.

Valanwé steps back a little also, and begins the last words of an
incantation: "Tredistéte Makh!" he shouts, as a small pale blue-green energy
orb the size of a clenched fist appears above his left hand. It sits there
momentarily, before Valanwé shoots his right hand forward, over the top of
the orb, and sends it flying towards the creature.

Appearing only as a faint blue green streak in the air, the orb travels at
the speed of sound towards the creature, expanding as it travels along its
path.

The ball of pure sound energy slams into the beast and the waves of energy roll off it, blowing a clearing in the brambles and uprooting a few of the plants.
Just as it hits, the crossbow bolt thuds into the back of it.

Unperturbed the beast lashes out at Daleson and slaps him sharply across the face with a vine-like tendril. The beast then continues it's assault by a swing from the other direction, smashing into Daleson's hips before wrapping around his waist.
The hulking mass of plant material roars in triumph and crushes Daleson, squeezing the air from his lungs, and then drags him towards it's huge body, engulfing him in a tangle of vines and brambles.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  19:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Well, quit standing around and fight!" Daleson takes the injuries from the shambling mound easily, seeming unconcerned for his safety.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  13:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trahĉarn watches Valanwé's spell impact, and tries to use the disruption to
slip around the mass of moving vegetation. Already engaged in crushing the life out of Daleson the beast ignores the move. Trahĉarn then twists and lashes out with his sword, slicing off a large chunk of the creatures body.
Meaniwhile Valanwé continues to assault the beast with sonic weapons, this time his magic taking the form of a screaming arrow before thudding into the monsters back.
Caylith then moves to the front of the beast and slashes away with her dark sword, inflicting another deep wound. The beast is now looking fairly injured but it continues determinedly to crush Daleson, resisting his attempts to escape from the hold.
As it crushes Daleson once more, smothering him with it's form to attempt to suffocate him, Selm whispers softly away from the combat. "My Lady, please grant my companions your favour", mutters Selm, carefully going through the motions of a spell, hoping to spur everybody on to victory.
On the other side of the battlefield Elussien dips a crossbow bolt in a vial he took out of a belt pouch, and proceeds to load his crossbow.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  13:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valanwé calls forth missiles of pure energy, and looses them towards his prey.
They strike the mound from each of the directions of the four winds,
and subsequently end its existence. Scorching holes sizzle in the
rotting mass of the beast, and it relaxes it's grip on Daleson,
allowing him to crawl free.

The huge sonic explosion previously in the battle has shattered the
windows on the bottom floor of the manor, and also opened the trapdoor
by splintering the wood that help it shut
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pulling himself from the sludge of vegetation, Daleson says, "Good job everyone." Checking his wounds, he looks to Selm and asks, "Do you have anything that will help heal these wounds? My healing will help, however I fear I will still be vulnerable to attacks without more powerful magics."

Inspecting the mound of formerly intelligent compost, Valanwé tries to glean what information he can from observing the creature's carcass. Hearing Daleson's words, he replies: "I cannot heal you with magic, but I have a little potion that may help - it will cure lighter wounds at least. It is yours if you so wish."
So saying, he offers a small bottle to daleson, containing a turquoise coloured liquid that never seems to fully still.

Selm steps forward and offers a prayer for the ability to heal. "It's alright, Valanwe, save your potion for a more pressing time. I can look after Master Daleson's wounds for the time being."

Edited by - Kaladorm on 26 Jun 2005 14:57:31
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  03:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing that Selm is taking care of Dalseon, Valanwé pockets the vial, and
cautiously approaches the trap door, and stands a few feet from it. Snapping
his fingers together, he gains Venterus's attention, and directs him to fly
directly over the trapdoor a few times, in the hope of seeing anything that
might be lurking at the bottom of the shaft.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  03:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing that Selm is taking care of Dalseon, Valanwé pockets the vial, and
cautiously approaches the trap door, and stands a few feet from it. Snapping
his fingers together, he gains Venterus's attention, and directs him to fly
directly over the trapdoor a few times, in the hope of seeing anything that
might be lurking at the bottom of the shaft.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daleson thanks Valanwé for the offer of the potion. He accepts Selm's healing, and as Valanwé turns to inspect the trap door he says, "You may want to keep that potion handy. This place does not seem to invite visitors."
Then to Selm he quietly says, "I hope you have enough healing spells if this manor and its residents try and kick us out."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien keeps the locked and loaded poisen bolt in place, as he walked over to the mound and retrieved the other bolt he's fired into the beast (if bolt is still useable). He paid only half attention to the group as they exchanged words about Daleson, and moved to the trap door. His eyes swept the darkness with his infravision.

Turning to Valanwe, "Mmm my friend, it appears we have come across a spot that I am designed for. Would you all permit me the chance to scout ahead, it might keep us safe. And due to Dalesons wounds as are with others, I would think it a smart idea if I took the little precaution of finding out what lay ahead. I shant be long." His little eyes sparkled with intensity at the opportunity of a challenge. He was always ready for kind of job.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Myself, I have no problem with your scouting ahead," says Valanwé to Elussien, "but there are two things I think we should consider - the first of which, is the tower. I believe it may be sensible to secure these outbuildings first, before we engage the mansion itself; there is little I would like less than to (Corellon grant us his favour) walk out of the mansion victorious, to be confronted by a horde of creatures who had simply watched us enter, and waited for us to return weakened."

He pauses for a moment: "The other thing," he continues, "is that this room below would seem to be an old, now unused storeroom, if my interpretation of Venterus's description is correct. Of course - it will no doubt lead us to more 'interesting' locations, but at the moment, I know of no reason why we should particularly enter, rather than one of the outbuildings. I also note that Venterus never landed on the floor - the area may be trapped, and I believe it would be wise for at least one of us to try and detect any magical effects that may be present. Additionally - if the ladder down is in the same state of repair as the rest of the room, it may be sensible to descend in another fashion. Even a small fall from a broken rung can prove catastrophic with a bad landing. In short, we will at some point have to enter - but I urge caution and consideration - it may be a more sinister place than it appears."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien ponders the words of Valan. Strangely the sagely wizard had become as near a friend as Elussien had ever known, even though they'd known each other not yet a week. But the Wizard had been kind to him, even considered what he said to relavent. This was in stark contrast to other party members.

"Aye, true enough friend. Might I say though, we are looking at covering alot of ground here just using one group. Might I suggest two groups, or possibly more. One, I slip down into the storeroom, check it out see what we are in store for down there. The other, or others search the tower. I am much more suited to working alone when it comes to dark holes, so if I were to get into the room below by myself, it wouldn't be all too troublesome. But of course I follow the will of the group, what ye say is what I do."

He listened of course to what was said, but during the process of their discussion, Elussien kneels over the hole and uses his sword to jab at the ladder rungs, testing their strength.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caylith: While I can see the value of clearing out each location in some order, I am hestitant to split us up...I am concerned that if there are still miscreants w/in the area, it will be easier for them to attack us if we are seperated. It may be wise if Elussien checked the store room first, however, for then, if he should be attacked we would all be nearby to offer assistance.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  17:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I believe that this plant," Valanwé says, gesturing toward the shambler's corpse, "may have been indiginous to the area, and not representative of what may lurk within these buildings. There is strength in numbers to be sure, and therefore I am hesitant to split the group up whilst we know so little of what we may encounter. That said, I can bring forth light, which may help illuminate our path in the dark; I would cast the spell on an object, or a person - though if the latter is the case, I must state a perference to casting upon myself. I would not wish to endanger the rest of you by making your presences a thousand times more obvious to those who are against us."

He pauses a moment, considering his words, and continues: "I recognise however, that there are those of us who have some ability to see in low light, and those who do not: my skills are not suited to hand to hand combat, and I would not wish to hide our enemies by being too far away from those of you fighting them at close range." He grins: "Regardless, the light will last a little over an hour, and I can offer it in whatever colour seems most pleasing to you all."

He turns to Elussien and glances at Daleson momentarily: "Perhaps it would be wise to explore this room whilst we are here, but I would not wish to venture too far ahead. I understand your preference of working alone - but if we should split up, I believe that we should at least work in pairs - for safety's sake, if nothing else. I would be happy to accompany you, if I am asked to do so."

He turns to Daleson, and awaits the leader's opinion (and orders).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000