Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Champions of Valor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  01:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

I know of only two references (Monastery Orphan region and Selűnite Foundling region) in the turnover to "changelings," and in both cases they refer to the classical definition of that term (a child swapped in by the faeries) rather than the Eberron-race definition. If there are others or they are more explicit in referring to the Eberron race, that wasn't from the authors.

Im pretty sure the references where in the new regions so they may well be the 2 regions you posted above. Im actually not familar with the "Faerie Changlings" what do you mean?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  01:19:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw in the designer-interview that one of my favourite of the smaller organisations, the Soft Claws, are mentioned in the book. Can anyone tell me how detailed attention they get?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  01:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I saw in the designer-interview that one of my favourite of the smaller organisations, the Soft Claws, are mentioned in the book. Can anyone tell me how detailed attention they get?

3 and 1/4 page write up

1/2 page related magic item

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  01:36:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

I know of only two references (Monastery Orphan region and Selűnite Foundling region) in the turnover to "changelings," and in both cases they refer to the classical definition of that term (a child swapped in by the faeries) rather than the Eberron-race definition. If there are others or they are more explicit in referring to the Eberron race, that wasn't from the authors.

Im pretty sure the references where in the new regions so they may well be the 2 regions you posted above. Im actually not familar with the "Faerie Changlings" what do you mean?

What Sean means is that in Earth's faerie myths the fey take the human child and swap it with a fey child that looks exactly the same but usually acts differently.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  02:25:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ok

so its not a Faerie Aasimar/Tiefling type thing then?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  02:43:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

3 and 1/4 page write up

1/2 page related magic item

Cheers Dargoth And that was at least two pages more than I was hoping for Now if only the book could arrive at the earlier bit on that 4-8 days delivery-time for once...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  02:57:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah ok

so its not a Faerie Aasimar/Tiefling type thing then?

I doubt it... I'd make it more of a fey type of thing... :) I'm not sure what changlings are in Eberron though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  03:07:42  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kuje is correct, that's what I mean (Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling)

No, it is not an aasimar/tiefling thing, though you could say that a feytouched or half-fey creature is a changeling.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  03:29:48  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And in the case of the animate with the spirit spell, those wacky developers went to town on it. My original writeup has it based on lesser planar ally, but one level lower because of the sanctified sacrifice of 1d3 Strength damage, whereas the printed version is the same level as LPA but has a much shorter duration and has it 1d3 Strength _drain_. In other words, why not just cast LPA? Sheesh, why do I bother to design these things if they're just going to completely redo them. Maybe next time instead of 5,000 words on various game mechanics I'll just include a list of ideas and let them develop them as they see fit, less work for me.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  18:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering about the monk substitution levels for the Phoenix Discipline. I am currently playing a Phoenix Clan monk and wondered what the substitution levels give.

Do they really deal with a Phoenix?
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  19:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Questions for Sean:

Sean, starting on page 60 under Magic Items, the descriptions for the magic items are uneven.

Specifically, some of magic item descriptions include a Lore section, with Knowledge DCs listed at the end of each of the paragraphs within a given lore section, so that a character might have a shot a knowing something about the item. But some of the items do not contain lore sections at all, just beefy History sections instead.

(Example: The write up for Albruin on page 60 begins with about a column and a half of History info on the sword, while the next write up on page 61 for Chalsembyr's Heart starts with about a half a column [~3 paragraphs, so three progressively difficult knowledge DCs] under a Lore section.)

Do you recall if WotC specifically asked you to give History info as opposed to Lore info on any of the magic items (assuming you wrote some of them)? If yes, do you know why they'd do things this way?

Anyway, I'm up to page 61 on the book and I like it. Definitely worth the money. FYI I'd plunk down $29.95 again for a similar book that further expanded on lore for Valorous Organizations and Places of Valor within the Forgotten Realms. I wouldn't mind more substitution levels listed as well, provided they were similarly tied in to the lore on organizations found in such a book.

I also think a region book (like one on Tethyr and Amn) could use the ‘substitution level/organization info’ format (even if the orgs weren’t exactly valorous) as well, since they tie in so well with each other and look to be very useful for DMs and players.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 20 Nov 2005 19:52:33
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  20:46:59  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Askanipsion

I was wondering about the monk substitution levels for the Phoenix Discipline. I am currently playing a Phoenix Clan monk and wondered what the substitution levels give.

Do they really deal with a Phoenix?

Completely Different Worlds.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  21:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Completely Different Worlds.

Yes I know they are different worlds but I was wondering if the Phoenix Discipline can be adapted.

I was wondering what they can actually do.
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  23:34:14  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got this book 2 days ago and I want to say thank you Thomas and Sean for all the information on Eilistraee. I was very happy to see that information in this book. I did not expect to see much. I am glad I was wrong.

James
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  00:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

I just got this book 2 days ago and I want to say thank you Thomas and Sean for all the information on Eilistraee.

I read somewhere that Elistraee is now allowed with the Elven Pantheon. Is it in this book that the change is mentioned?
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  01:32:12  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure. I would have to look more carefully.

James
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  01:50:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Askanipsion

quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

I just got this book 2 days ago and I want to say thank you Thomas and Sean for all the information on Eilistraee.

I read somewhere that Elistraee is now allowed with the Elven Pantheon. Is it in this book that the change is mentioned?

It happened in the FRCS with the new FR cosmology. :) But there's never been a reason why she's back in Arvandor. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Nov 2005 01:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  03:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, she was never banned from Arvandor, but rather banned herself, going willingly with her mother to provide hope to any good inclined drow.

Apparently she still has the last vestiges of a dying realm in Lolth's Demonweb Pits. Why she gave up her realm in the Pits and returned to Arvandor is a mystery. I guess she decided she had done all she could do there. Or maybe it had something to do with Lolth ripping the realm free from the Abyss and setting the Demonwebs up as a plane in their own right.

Surely there's an interesting story to tell there, but I don't know what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  03:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It happened in the FRCS with the new FR cosmology. :) But there's never been a reason why she's back in Arvandor. :)

Of course we don't actually need a reason, either. Some changes are just for the better, believe it or not.

But if we do need an explanation, well that's why we've all got such big brains. :)

And if our brains don't work, well then we've got Gray, whose brain I don't mind saying I rely upon a great deal, with no fear of being misled.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 21 Nov 2005 03:15:44
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  03:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  03:59:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee took a vountary banishment and never was actually forbiden return to Arvandor.

In 2nd she had a Domian as Nidavellir/Svartalfheim part of Ysgard (which I believe translates somewhat to Arvandor).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  06:23:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I finally got my copy .

Worthwhile points of note I made during my quick once over before heading off to the library:- the detailings for the Minor Organisations (glad to see some oldies mentioned), the Dukar Hand Coral, and the equine listing.

I look forward to reading more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  15:11:37  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee has been shown more and more back within the good graces of Arvandor since 3E has kicked off. Perhaps they wanted to show that Corellon had no ill will towards his daughter? Who knows? All I know is that the cosmology is way different, and it's hard to try to adjust to it when you played the previous 15 years of your life with the Great Wheel.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Cam Beul
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  16:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Cam Beul's Homepage Send Cam Beul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need certain confirmation for something from someone who may know for sure. With the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, one would still need a high Wisdom to open up slots for the arcane spells, and having a really high intelligence wouldn't help the number of arcane bonus spells you could cast, since that depends on your wisdom score, right? And one would still be subject to aracne spell failure from armor, even though the spells are taking up divine spell slots, correct?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  17:35:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Of course we don't actually need a reason, either. Some changes are just for the better, believe it or not.

But if we do need an explanation, well that's why we've all got such big brains. :)

And if our brains don't work, well then we've got Gray, whose brain I don't mind saying I rely upon a great deal, with no fear of being misled.

J. Grenemyer

Of course maybe you don't need a canon official explanation but many of us want one. And, no offense to Gray, we don't want Grays, or yours, or mine, or anyone elses homebrew reason. :)

And I don't want to argue this with you because we both know how those discussions turn out. You like the new planes, fine. I don't like that they retconed it with no in game reason, which is also fine. However, I've still wrote material for the new planes because they are now official canon.

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Nov 2005 17:40:30
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  17:36:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Eilistraee took a vountary banishment and never was actually forbiden return to Arvandor.

In 2nd she had a Domian as Nidavellir/Svartalfheim part of Ysgard (which I believe translates somewhat to Arvandor).

No it doesn't since Arvandor is in Arborea and Eilistraee's realm is in Ysgard. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  17:37:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any how the Eilistraee planar discussion is off topic so if it needs to be discussed, someone start a new scroll. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  00:35:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Knights of Imphras II.... very interesting, and wonderfully plotted.

If nothing else, this write-up has made me more intrigued by the possibilities for some new material focusing on old Narfell.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  01:00:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If nothing else, this write-up has made me more intrigued by the possibilities for some new material focusing on old Narfell.

Glad you liked it. In case it wasn't clear, all the Impiltur-related info, plus the equine templates is my contribution. Of course, the history of Impiltur owes a great deal to George Krashos, who should have gotten a credit. Likewise the equine info owes a great deal to Tom Costa.

I'm hoping that the combination of Impiltur lore in Champions of Ruin and Champions of Valor serves as a "mini-setting" for DMs interested in running an Impiltur-based campaign.

--Eric

PS In my turnover, the equine templates could be applied to any equine, including hippogriffs, centaurs, etc. Although it's not mentioned in Champions of Valor, it would be reasonable for the DM to extend them to any part-equine, as desired.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  01:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Glad you liked it. In case it wasn't clear, all the Impiltur-related info, plus the equine templates is my contribution. Of course, the history of Impiltur owes a great deal to George Krashos, who should have gotten a credit.
It captured the unique character of the Realm of the Sword and the Wand, which is why I enjoyed this organisation write-up in particular.

Even though he wasn't mentioned directly, I had a feeling this was the case. I know the interest Krash has for Impiltur .

quote:
I'm hoping that the combination of Impiltur lore in Champions of Ruin and Champions of Valor serves as a "mini-setting" for DMs interested in running an Impiltur-based campaign.

--Eric
I liked the way that worked .

In fact, after finishing the Knights section, I began to think about a possible contribution to a future issue of the Compendium using the Impiltur material from both tomes as a basis. We'll see how it goes...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000