Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Champions of Valor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  02:51:34  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

PS In my turnover, the equine templates could be applied to any equine, including hippogriffs, centaurs, etc. Although it's not mentioned in Champions of Valor, it would be reasonable for the DM to extend them to any part-equine, as desired.

Didn't even think of that as a possibility... Too bad I don't use those too often though... will need to come up with something

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  04:39:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well I finally got my copy .

Worthwhile points of note I made during my quick once over before heading off to the library:- the detailings for the Minor Organisations (glad to see some oldies mentioned), the Dukar Hand Coral, and the equine listing.

I look forward to reading more.

I can't believe it .

Getting home from uni this morning, and I came across another mail order at my doorstep, and inside, another copy of CoV. So, with the copy I received yesterday, and the copy now sitting on my desktop, I have two CoV tomes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  06:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprise!

The most important thing is, did you get charged for two?
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  06:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Of course maybe you don't need a canon official explanation but many of us want one. And, no offense to Gray, we don't want Grays, or yours, or mine, or anyone else’s homebrew reason. :)
Really? ‘Many’ of us?

I’ve relied on Eric’s, George’s (and most recently Gray’s) explanations, ideas and contributions for quite some time, as have the Realms online community for the last, what, oh 7-8(?) years overall, because these non-cannon/unofficial sources have always been welcome by the greater Realms Community for their creativity, resourcefulness and willingness to keep an open and non-judgmental mind about the setting in order to sincerely work to shore up continuity differences.

It’s no coincidence that they’ve done such a good job that now they write their unofficial ideas into ‘official’ books?

A great CoV example of this would be the equine section.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  07:21:34  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:

Of course maybe you don't need a canon official explanation but many of us want one. And, no offense to Gray, we don't want Grays, or yours, or mine, or anyone else’s homebrew reason. :)
Really? ‘Many’ of us?

I’ve relied on Eric’s, George’s (and most recently Gray’s) explanations, ideas and contributions for quite some time, as have the Realms online community for the last, what, oh 7-8(?) years overall, because these non-cannon/unofficial sources have always been welcome by the greater Realms Community for their creativity, resourcefulness and willingness to keep an open and non-judgmental mind about the setting in order to sincerely work to shore up continuity differences.

It’s no coincidence that they’ve done such a good job that now they write their unofficial ideas into ‘official’ books?

Those Equines have been around since at least 2E and I think they were in 1E.

Just now we finally have offical content for them.
I stick with Eric, George, and Tom's stuff as much as the next person, but once it gets printed into a sourcebook, that makes it absolutely canon.

Since per WotC the only stuff that is canon that isn't a source book is anything that Ed says until a sourcebook says otherwise.
And many of us are still reeling from the sudden change in Cosmology from 2E to 3E. With nothing but that is how it has always been as an explaination.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  08:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't believe it .

Getting home from uni this morning, and I came across another mail order at my doorstep, and inside, another copy of CoV. So, with the copy I received yesterday, and the copy now sitting on my desktop, I have two CoV tomes.

Well met

Splendid! That means ye can read at twice the rate and post thy comments herein I have yet to locate this tome and would certainly like to hear more thoughts on the content.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  09:30:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Really? ‘Many’ of us?

Thats nice for you but that's not the rest of us, as I said. Now if you want to continue this, take it to another scroll. I said I wasn't debating this with you AGAIN.

Now this is your last warning, if you want to continue to debate this with me in this scroll then you are forcing me to start removing your posts since it has nothing to do with this scroll and we BOTH know how this debate turns out in the end, so I'm not sure why you want to continue to argue this over and over.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Nov 2005 09:37:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  13:21:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

I can't believe it .

Well met

Splendid! That means ye can read at twice the rate and post thy comments herein I have yet to locate this tome and would certainly like to hear more thoughts on the content.

Reading at twice the rate?

Yeah, I wish. As it happens, the Lady K has now "acquired" the extra copy..., employing methods to sway my initial hesitation, that really cannot be detailed here .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  13:24:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? ‘Many’ of us?

Thats nice for you but that's not the rest of us, as I said. Now if you want to continue this, take it to another scroll. I said I wasn't debating this with you AGAIN.

Now this is your last warning, if you want to continue to debate this with me in this scroll then you are forcing me to start removing your posts since it has nothing to do with this scroll and we BOTH know how this debate turns out in the end, so I'm not sure why you want to continue to argue this over and over.

And I quite agree.

Sanishiver, I must ask you to please halt your attempts to further this "off-topic" nonsense. If you so wish, open a new scroll in a more appropriate section, or take your issues to a more private area -- PMs or emails are sufficient.

Thank you .

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  14:47:18  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

I can't believe it .

Well met

Reading at twice the rate?

Yeah, I wish. As it happens, the Lady K has now "acquired" the extra copy..., employing methods to sway my initial hesitation, that really cannot be detailed here .

Well - the female of the species is quite good at those swaying techniques - Kianna did end up with a set of her on FR books.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  14:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hummm...
I think that now is the time for me to chant some prayers for Moradin, since my wife is not sooo fan of the Realms books...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  15:50:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you should ask the Sage or Crennen about some of those swaying techniques females employ and see if you can adapt them

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  20:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

These "Questionable Methods" didnt involve her dressing up as Alias the Sell sword did they? (See Cover of Curse of the Azure bonds)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  00:14:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

These "Questionable Methods" didnt involve her dressing up as Alias the Sell sword did they? (See Cover of Curse of the Azure bonds)

Oh no, but that would definitely be something to see .

I did notice one small difference between the two books though... the second copy has pg. 96 printed upside down .

So I don't mind so much the Lady K having the extra copy now .

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Nov 2005 00:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  06:14:50  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did notice one small difference between the two books though... the second copy has pg. 96 printed upside down .

So I don't mind so much the Lady K having the extra copy now .

Hello-

What? You mean you let someone else have the rare, mis-printed copy? It could be worth a lot of money!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  07:35:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not really a big deal.

We live in the same apartment, so the book itself is within easy enough reach.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  04:17:03  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I have progressed along - and am now into the magic items section, though I admit that I skimmed over the substitution levels and the full spell descriptions.

I did notice something that seemed to be somewhat inconsistent though - wondering what people thought -

IN the description of the sword Albruin under activation it says: "Albruin is a +3 silvered longsword. It does not radiate light.

Then - right below that in the Effect section it says: "... It sheds an eerie blue radiance equivalent......when drawn."

This seems contradictory to me - and I am curious which is intended, or - if it is somehow correct in a way that I cannot fathom right now...

Otherwise - very impressed so far - and I have yet to get to what I expect to be some of the more 'juicy' sections!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  12:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the Darksong Knight Substitution levels in CoV

Under Favoured Enemy it says that a DK gets Favoured Enemy: Yochlol at 4th level however there isnt a DK substitute level for 4th level...

Should it be Sixth level (instead of 4th)or should there be another Sub level in the table?

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  14:45:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well SKR can better answer the two of these however what I guess is offered for now.

A sword that casts light is definded in the rules to have a certain quality that an "eerie blue radiance equivalent" can not replace even if it offers some quality of light. A blue light can not be be same light as of
quote:
Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical.

Why would any Darksong Knight want to fight a Yochlol at even level 6? Odds are it is a typo as to which level ability is granted, however it is posible that 4th is correct. Taking the path of Darksong Knight at level 2 will mean you are not just a level 2 Fighter any more you are a special type of fighter gaving given up some things to become something else. A level 4 boost indeed might be intended as Lolth might start sending Yochlols after a Darksong Knight as they become that powerful. *Grin*

Only other thing I can add, SKR when asked said that
quote:
The Darksong Knight is essentially what I submitted except they simplified and improved the Combat Dancing ability.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Nov 2005 14:49:04
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  16:30:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Well - I have progressed along - and am now into the magic items section, though I admit that I skimmed over the substitution levels and the full spell descriptions.

I did notice something that seemed to be somewhat inconsistent though - wondering what people thought -

IN the description of the sword Albruin under activation it says: "Albruin is a +3 silvered longsword. It does not radiate light.

Then - right below that in the Effect section it says: "... It sheds an eerie blue radiance equivalent......when drawn."

This seems contradictory to me - and I am curious which is intended, or - if it is somehow correct in a way that I cannot fathom right now...

Otherwise - very impressed so far - and I have yet to get to what I expect to be some of the more 'juicy' sections!

Dhomal

It may shed a eerie blue light, but may not work to light a passageway in any definite form. Like it looks blue, but you can't use it as a torch, per se.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  16:47:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

It may shed a eerie blue light, but may not work to light a passageway in any definite form. Like it looks blue, but you can't use it as a torch, per se.

C-Fb

Also the blue light may not triger light blindness that other swords can cause to Drow and other darkvision creatures.

I have a hard time picturing an Drow doing something like this.

*The Drow warrior draws his mighty sword (+2, sheds light) and stands dazzled by the light of his own sword.*

Also any darkvission fighter would effectly attack as if a +2 sword was a +1 sword because of the nature of the weapon and light blindness.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Nov 2005 16:50:01
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  17:42:45  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Regarding the Darksong Knight Substitution levels in CoV

Under Favoured Enemy it says that a DK gets Favoured Enemy: Yochlol at 4th level however there isnt a DK substitute level for 4th level...

Should it be Sixth level (instead of 4th)or should there be another Sub level in the table?

Thanks in advance

It's on the 6th level on the table, so I'm going to guess that it's either a typo, or it was changed at some point along the line (ie after Sean submitted it, and before we got it)
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  18:26:53  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The table for the DK is correct; I didn't even have a body text entry for the ability (to me, saying "favored enemy: yochlol +2" doesn't need any explanation.

You'll have to ask Thomas about that sword, as I didn't write it (at least I don't think I did, it's not familiar to me and I don't have it in my copy of the turnover).
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  22:41:12  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

You'll have to ask Thomas about that sword, as I didn't write it (at least I don't think I did, it's not familiar to me and I don't have it in my copy of the turnover).

No, that's actually one of Eric's items, I believe. I think it went with his Knights of Imphras II stuff. Eric?

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  22:51:44  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aha! That would explain why it wasn't in your turnover, either. :)
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  01:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aha! That would explain why it wasn't in your turnover, either. :)

A-yep. That would be the reason.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  07:21:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean:

Dancing Feint: genius. So much so that I'm allowing the Perform (Dance) skill to work in lieu of Bluff for feinting... for all classes! :) (Except that non-DK PCs take a -5 to the skill check when used this way... :) )

Also, does the DK gets the Perform (Dance) class skill just on the levels where he substitutes regular FTR levels? if so, I'll remember to pump the intelligence on my next female drow NPC! :)

Finally, I just can't let it go... I must find a way to give the Dancing Feint ability to Bladesingers (I use the CW version) without unbalancing the class. Do you think it could be added "free of charge" or do you recommend a drawback?
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  11:25:25  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
{Dancing Feint: genius.}

A-thank you. :)

{Also, does the DK gets the Perform (Dance) class skill just on the levels where he substitutes regular FTR levels? if so, I'll remember to pump the intelligence on my next female drow NPC! :)}

I believe the variant class skills only apply to the actual substitution levels, not the entire level range of the class, so you'd have to buy them at crossclass cost for fighter levels that weren't DK levels.

{Finally, I just can't let it go... I must find a way to give the Dancing Feint ability to Bladesingers (I use the CW version) without unbalancing the class. Do you think it could be added "free of charge" or do you recommend a drawback?}

I haven't looked at the CW version (it's perhaps the most-revised official PrC) and I just woke up, but sure, why not, you have to give those weak and enemic elves _something_ to explain how they've managed to survive all these years. ;)
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  06:15:47  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

but sure, why not, you have to give those weak and enemic elves _something_ to explain how they've managed to survive all these years. ;)

Careful, those weak anemic elves work for Santa

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  15:56:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't looked at the CW version (it's perhaps the most-revised official PrC) and I just woke up, but sure, why not, you have to give those weak and enemic elves _something_ to explain how they've managed to survive all these years. ;)

CW version: +1 arcane caster level every other level (2, 4, ..., 10), without the free quicken every round (it's now just twice a day if you have all 10 levels), still add Int bonus to AC, ignore arcane spell failure chance with light armor, take 10 on Concentration checks to cast defensively, and "flurry of blows" with rapier or longsword at 10th... (i.e. -2 on all attacks, extra attack)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000