Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Resurrection (WotSQ #6) - SPOILERS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  09:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

I wished to set up this scroll for discussions on the upcoming conclusion to the War of the Spider Queen series - Resurrection, by Paul S Kemp. There are already of fair number of scrolls discussing various aspects of this novel, but please post here to give any reviews

Just for summary, other scrolls on this novel can be viewed here:

Resurrection (WotSQ VI) Sample Chapter
Predictions on WOTSQ conclusion
Yor'thae of Lolth (Poll)
Ressurection Availibility Update

In addition, please use the search function to locate discussions of other novels in the War of the Spider Queen series which lead up to this very much anticipated conclusion.

If you wish to ask the author any questions on this novel, please go to the Questions for Paul S Kemp scroll.

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  02:20:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alaundo for setting up this topic with a sticky. I just got my copy earlier this afternoon. The cover is very vivid when seen in full detail. However, books IV and V still hold my favorite images.

The jacket mentions Danifae with a brief blurb on Halisstra at the end. To me, the former dark lady being highlighted is another hint at the Yor'thae situation.

I'll start to dive into the novel tonight. I can't believe it's been almost three years since the series started. I recall mentioning after reading the first novel that I did not have much faith that WOTC and R.A. Salvatore would change much with drow society/gods upon this series' conclusion. I hope they make me eat my words.
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  03:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius I was wondering if you could answer one question for me since you have the book.

Does Lolth die? Could you send me an email letting me know? I have waited so long to find out what happens to my favorite diety.

Thanks so much!!

Askanipsion
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  04:52:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Askanipsion

Sirius I was wondering if you could answer one question for me since you have the book.

Does Lolth die? Could you send me an email letting me know? I have waited so long to find out what happens to my favorite diety.

Thanks so much!!

Askanipsion

But that would mean reading ahead and I never do that....<innocent whistling>

Actually as far as reading ahead, I didn't even get the book out of its package before another Realms fan, impatient with waiting for me to finish the novel grabbed it out of my hands so she could look at the end.

All I know is she didn't look happy after reading the conclusion of the novel. Upon tossing back the book to my hands, she mentioned, "You were right." I didn't ask for elaborations as I've espoused various theories on the series' conclusion from the start. Besides, I'm always right, aren't I? But, I did get one thing out of her that I sent to you via email per your request.

As for what I myself (the actual owner of the damn book) have read so far, I have the following comment.

Chapter 2, page 22 shows Halisstra filled with internal doubts. Yet, she still believes Danifae could come over to Eilistraee. I'm having a hard time believing this as plausible given the events in Book V. While I can more than understand Halisstra having her own lack of faith moments, for her to continue to trust in Danifae seems to put anyone who believes in Eilistraee in the incredibly naive category or the incredibly stupid.

I think I see where the story might be headed with this development. At a crucial moment with the Crescent Blade, Halisstra's continued belief in Danifae's possible redemption will prove to be a moment of weakness that Danifae exploits, most likely a fatal one as well for the former First Daughter of House Melarn. Not that I thought Halisstra would end up as anything but cannon fodder the moment this quest was mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  12:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius...much obliged if you could spoil it for all the poor saps who can't get it for a long time...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  14:46:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Sirius...much obliged if you could spoil it for all the poor saps who can't get it for a long time...

Oh trust me. Once I've read the entire tome, I'll have a great deal of comments to make. Right now I'm 133 pages, but hopefully will get to read more. If you're asking me to spoil what I was able to tell Askanipsion, then know that per my zealous Realms fan who was there when I got my tome, Lolth is alive and well at novel's end.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  15:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what's happened thus far? Anything major? How's Menzoberranzan and : Is Nimor making a return?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  15:22:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, what's happened thus far? Anything major? How's Menzoberranzan and : Is Nimor making a return?

Menzo is fine and well for the most part. It's major points are not damaged and, in my opinion, were never in any real danger within this series.

Nimor does return. He's already assassinated the duergar ruler. He is now headed to a confrontation with Kaanyr Vhok who is trying to make a strategic movement of his troops (not a retreat mind you) out of Menzo.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  15:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrighty...(Sorry to bug you by the by, but...c'mon, three years!) Keep me posted with Menzo and Nimor and Kaanyr?
What's happened with our merry band of adventurers, IE: Valas and Paharaun especially...and how 'bout Gromph and Dyrr's side of things?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  15:43:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's happened with our merry band of adventurers, IE: Valas and Paharaun especially...and how 'bout Gromph and Dyrr's side of things?

Valas is gone dear sir. No sign of him at all. I knew he was too smart to stick with that group any longer.

Gromph is trying to find the lich's phylactery. Meanwhile Dyrr's Matron Mother is trying to save her skin and House. She's already been in contact with Triel to bargain for House Dyrr's continued existence. No surprise that the one thing Triel wants to even consider such an arrangement is the aforementioned phylactery.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh...good ol' Valas...now, why do I SERIOUSLY doubt Triel'll keep up her end of the bargain? Was that little Barrison Del'Armgo subplot ever followed through with?
Go to Top of Page

Freakboy
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  18:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Freakboy's Homepage Send Freakboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now to page 136 and Sirius has already hit on the majority of the major spoilers. One thing to add is that Jeggred remains loyal to Danifae and vitriolic against Quenthel and Phauran has solidly aligned himself with Quenthel against Danifae and Jeggred. Phauran has a "tender" meeting with Alisza in which she tells him that she doesn't think he will survive what is to come and that perhaps neither Danifae or Quenthel are Yor'thae. Foreshadowing perhaps? Right now my money is on Danifae being Yor'thae but I hope Phauran doesn't die. Sirius you can probably comment as well, but doesn't the ongoing series of events between Quenthel and Danifae make you believe that Danifae seems more likely to be the Chosen than Quenthel as alluded to in the prologue of the fifth novel? Back to reading but with luck I will have a full review tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  19:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting bits of info... More spoilers, please! Gimme, gimme, gimme!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  19:44:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh...good ol' Valas...now, why do I SERIOUSLY doubt Triel'll keep up her end of the bargain? Was that little Barrison Del'Armgo subplot ever followed through with?

Because she's a dark elf to paraphrase a comment by Pharaun once. As for Barrison Del'Armgo, it's barely been mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  19:53:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Freakboy

One thing to add is that Jeggred remains loyal to Danifae and vitriolic against Quenthel and Phauran has solidly aligned himself with Quenthel against Danifae and Jeggred.

While I do think the trip to the final confrontation with Lolth is being dragged out, the writer has done a very good job of showing the tension and interaction between our four remaining party members. I especially enjoyed Pharaun determing why Quenthel is keeping Danifae around/alive still.

quote:

Phauran has a "tender" meeting with Alisza in which she tells him that she doesn't think he will survive what is to come and that perhaps neither Danifae or Quenthel are Yor'thae. Foreshadowing perhaps?

You know, that meeting really was sad in a way as I got the overwhelming sense of doom for Pharaun and I so like these two together.

Yeah, sorry Pharaun fans. But, that exchange left me feeling that your fave dark elven wizard from this series is going to perish. I know he's quite popular (I'm firmly convinced that popularity, not evidence is the reason he's leading the Yor'thae poll), but popularity doesn't guarantee survival. Look at Mercutio in a famous play.

I do wish to commend Paul Kemp on the meeting between Pharaun and Alisza. For the first time since Thomas M. Reid's novel, I felt an author clearly showed the dynamics between the two characters and why each finds the other appealing.

quote:

Right now my money is on Danifae being Yor'thae but I hope Phauran doesn't die.

I got a bad feeling about Pharaun and I've said it since Book V...Danifae is going to be the new face of Lolth, whatever she is called.

quote:

Sirius you can probably comment as well, but doesn't the ongoing series of events between Quenthel and Danifae make you believe that Danifae seems more likely to be the Chosen than Quenthel as alluded to in the prologue of the fifth novel? Back to reading but with luck I will have a full review tonight.

Absolutely. Recall that the fifth novel mentioned the strongest being taken out first by the surviving spiders. Well, Danifae did accomplish the destruction of the physically strongest party member that was not on her side. Moreover, there were a couple of foreshadowing scenes in Annihilation involving Danifae that clearly, to me, harkened back to encounters certain series' characters had involving Lolth.

It's Danifae folks. And Corellon help anyone who gets in her way.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  20:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

It appears that discussions are well underway But the frustration is getting the better of me I don't have the novel myself yet and am checking my FLGS on a regular basis for the tomes arrival. The only problem is that I have to check this scroll to ensure all is well...but have merely taken to skimming over the various posts instead on this occassion to avoid any spoilers

So spoilers aside, for Sirius et al... how are you liking the book so far? Is it living up to your (what i'm sure are quite high) expectations?

I have yet to be anything less than astounded and stunned by the quality and feel of Paul S Kemp's Forgotten Realms novels, and therefore hold much hope out for this particular tome. I assume the pace, flavor and writing style are splendid?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  21:55:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
It appears that discussions are well underway But the frustration is getting the better of me I don't have the novel myself yet and am checking my FLGS on a regular basis for the tomes arrival.

And they don't have it....so you're waiting...and waiting...getting frustrated..and frustrated?

Good. That's payback from my nation to yours for the War of 1812.

Sirius reminds everyone he has a long memory and took AP History.

quote:

The only problem is that I have to check this scroll to ensure all is well...but have merely taken to skimming over the various posts instead on this occassion to avoid any spoilers

You need a guest moderator. Someone like the guest star, television shows bring in when a regular is unavailable. I'll gladly voulunteer. I've seen plenty of bad television, I know what to do.

quote:

So spoilers aside, for Sirius et al... how are you liking the book so far? Is it living up to your (what i'm sure are quite high) expectations?

The problems I am having with the novel stem less from it or the author and rest more with the series in general. If that makes no sense, I promise to explain it by the time I have fully read the novel especially if it ends the way I feel it will.

quote:

I have yet to be anything less than astounded and stunned by the quality and feel of Paul S Kemp's Forgotten Realms novels, and therefore hold much hope out for this particular tome. I assume the pace, flavor and writing style are splendid?

It's definitely an improvement over the one tome in the series I was disappointed with. It lacks some of the fun the first four novels had for this reader. However, as I'll explain in my novel/series review, I have a theory why the first four books held up better for myself at least.

You can definitely see wonderful moments in Kemp's writing. The sample chapter clearly showed that. I was discussing his writing the other day and a word that I used to describe it was atmospheric. In some ways, his level of detail and the way he can make a dark setting so vibrant and alive reminds me of my favorite writer from the American Romantic period.
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  21:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish the drow male Psion from Salvatore's books could have made an appearance in the WOtSQ series. I forget his name but he was VERY cool. I am suprised that psionic drow were not even mentioned in this series since they would have had all their powers during Lolth's "Silence". I know most of them died but geez some of the other cities should at least have some.

I wonder if Lolth will totally reconstruct her faith. Will the males & females work more closely together?

I would love to see the drow race unite & then cause chaos for OTHER races. I would also like to see Lolth start a surface drow city devoted to her.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  22:01:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see LIoth die, but that ain`t gonna happen.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  22:04:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder if Lolth will totally reconstruct her faith. Will the males & females work more closely together?

Going just from memory here as I'm away from the book. However, Pharaun around page 60something mentions a possible societal change in the future. After a tense moment, go figure, between Danifae and Quenthel, Pharaun contemplates killing Danifae. He gives this pause and realizes that many drow males now that have lived through the silence will never look at drow priestesses with the exact same level of fear again. Thus, he ponders what affect this might have for his race in the years to come.

quote:

I would love to see the drow race unite & then cause chaos for OTHER races. I would also like to see Lolth start a surface drow city devoted to her.

Given three years and six hardback novels, I would love to see just a noticeable change by this novel's end in Lolth or her followers. And I don't consider her moving her living quarters to be a change on the level I'm speaking of.
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  22:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I don't consider her moving her living quarters to be a change on the level I'm speaking of.

Yeah lets hope it is just not her hanging extra webs in her throne room. I want her to kick it up a notch. She is a VERY old diety & she needs to start using her influence to start kicking some butt.

Any mention that she will ascend into Greater Goddess??
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  23:17:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any mention that she will ascend into Greater Goddess??

None that I see so far. To do that, wouldn't she have to increase her followers? To me, the whole silence thing has had the opposite effect so far due to the number of dark elven casualties.
Go to Top of Page

Freakboy
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  23:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Freakboy's Homepage Send Freakboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm further along and let me say that this book is a BIG improvement for me over books 4 and 5 but as of yet hasn't surpassed books 1-3. I would say the writing is very much on par with Kemp's Erevis Cale work and as an author my respect for him continues to go up with every page. I am at right about pg 195 now and must admit I have had more distractions today than I wanted so I am not getting through it as fast as I would like.

I also agree with Sirius that most of my problems stem from issues that arose in the series earlier on and have to be addressed now. Halisstra and her "mission" were a big part of that but Kemp has addressed it nicely making it a far more realistic goal (she realizes that she only has to kill Yor'thae and not Lolth). Then Halisstra turns against her faith in Eilistraee altogether over the murder of her two Eilistraen cleric companions. This makes me wonder what he point of having Halisstra turn to Eilistraee at all was unless that was just an artistic license thing for Lisa Smedman since the Authors were only given starting and ending points for each book and given free reign through the rest.

Still a bit to churn through so may not be done tonight, but I like Sirius will have a complete review once finished both for the book and the series as a whole and all the impressions it left on me. Wonder who will get done sooner . Of course knowing my luck Sirius is done and gloating about the end while he waits on some of us to catch up to him . This book is building some huge momentum though. I get the impression that no matter what happens the end isn't going to be a "oh well everything is back to normal" type ending.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  23:39:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Freakboy
I also agree with Sirius that most of my problems stem from issues that arose in the series earlier on and have to be addressed now. Halisstra and her "mission" were a big part of that but Kemp has addressed it nicely making it a far more realistic goal (she realizes that she only has to kill Yor'thae and not Lolth). Then Halisstra turns against her faith in Eilistraee altogether over the murder of her two Eilistraen cleric companions. This makes me wonder what he point of having Halisstra turn to Eilistraee at all was unless that was just an artistic license thing for Lisa Smedman since the Authors were only given starting and ending points for each book and given free reign through the rest.

To me the problem with Halisstra's scenes since she got the "kill Lolth mission," is that I know it will never happen. Thus, I'm just waiting for the destruction of the character first internally and then externally that I felt was well written until Book V.

quote:

Wonder who will get done sooner .

You will. I have a lady who is wanting my attention and well....I love the Realms....but.....

quote:

I get the impression that no matter what happens the end isn't going to be a "oh well everything is back to normal" type ending.

And see with each page, I think the exact opposite. I think, per my thoughts after Book I, nothing major will have changed.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  23:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what's happened thus far? Any updates with Pharaun/Kaanyr/Nimor/Menzo's remaining issues?
And what caused that change in Halisstra?

And c'mon, SB, don't lie...you know we fantasy geeks don't get women.

Edited by - Ethriel on 15 Apr 2005 23:51:00
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  01:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And c'mon, SB, don't lie...you know we fantasy geeks don't get women.

Women? Que?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  02:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! More than ten posts since I last posted, and hardly a spoiler...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  05:34:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

What do you wish to know? I'm 161 pages in. Nimor and Vhok made nice and will apparently work together in the future when Nimor wishes to move up in his organization again.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  12:48:46  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just tell me when jeggred dies, please

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  13:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....what? Nimor and Kaanyr're gonna live?!
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  13:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

What do you wish to know? I'm 161 pages in. Nimor and Vhok made nice and will apparently work together in the future when Nimor wishes to move up in his organization again.

What I want to know? Why, everything, all tidbits are welcome. But most particularly, I want to know the ultimate fate of the main protagonists - how their expedition turns out, who lives and who dies (I really hope Pharaun lives and that [censored] Jeggred dies), who becomes Yor'thae and what happens to that character, and what happens in Menzoberranzan and with Kaanyr Vhok and Nimor and Gromph and Triel... you get the idea.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000