Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Trade Route Suzail - Dagger Falls (Merchant Group)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  22:30:00  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
OK, the last post ... sleeeep ... please take a look at the other Trade Route Suzail - Dagger Falls posts.

Do you know of a FR oficial merchant company that travels between Suzail and Dagger Falls?

If travelling with goods such as armors, cloth, and swords, and consisting of a group of 7 Com1, 5 War1, and a 1st-level NPC, how many wagons to you think such company would have?
OK, the 7 War1 would be the cooks ... no, yes, the guards. The 1st-level NPC would the leader, owner of the goods ... who would those other 1st level "loosers" be ... with "your eyes"? You see, I did randomly create a merchant group ... and ... I just need to describe these folks. I could throw my dices again, or just pick a group ... but, I would like to have a discussion and flesh out this party. Maybe, they all go down in Tilver's Gap ...

Manuel

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  23:27:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A group of 7 for a 4 tenday (using system travel *wink*) off hand would consist of three wagons and 4 mounted out riders. The number can vary. It depends on the risks of the trip and the value of goods.

A cook wagon might be included, for such a trip. This would perhaps serve as office/headquarters of the caravan. The food requirements for 7 people for 38 days would be about 800 pounds (actual less) but a cook stove and some things to cook with would be required. In pratice the travels would not need to carry all the food with them as game could be aquired to add to food available to eat, each day perhaps, certainly every three days. Unless travel is though desert or other low to none game region. There of course can be added weight if there is a need to carry water which at times might become far more weight then carring food.

As for your party, I would make the Com1 the cook and a teamster,, driving the middle wagon.

I would have War1 teamster of wagons 1 & 3

The other 3 War1 and the NPC1 (have you decided what class yet?) I would have mounted. I would also consider a few spare horses/beast of burden added to caravan.

Oh forget, the cook wagon might need to be carring grain as well for the animals, I see you indicated you do not want to get into details to such an extent (which is just as well as the System does not do so), so I would advise that they cook wagon plus grazing takes care of this problem. The other two wagons can carry the trade goods, a mere 4,000 pounds (last time I checked).

I hope this helps you devise your party.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  23:46:33  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

First of all ... I do mix stuff and get confused ... so ... a bit of clarification:

My random generated NPC merchant group from Suzail would consist of 7 1st-level Commoners, 5 1st-level Warriors, and 1 1st-level Cleric. I did use the Merchants entry in page 29 in the Groups section of Encounters in Faerūn, which comes with the Dungeon Master Screen. Now, why does not the Merchants entry have 1d4 Experts (merchants) and 1d4 Commoners (teamsters) instead of 2d4 Commoners ... maybe, an issue for another post ... now, a better Merchants entry can be found in page 89 of Unapprochable East. But, I will stick to the bitter end with my random generated merchant group.

When rolling for the leader, I got a Cleric. At first, I did discard the Cleric NPC as the merchant's leader, but then, I think that it adds something odd to the party. Now, from my point of view, a Cleric should spend time on other issues than bussines, but then, this merchant group could be out on temple bussines. Or, maybe better, the Cleric is assisting the merchants in this venture.
For example, Asheyron the Merchant (NG male Chondathan human Exp3, 44 years) is in no condition of travelling to Dagger Falls and asks help at the local Tymoran temple. Now, Asheyron the Merchant should have a lot of money to get help of the temple, or, maybe, he happens to have one of those rare contacts that owes him a favor and will give the merchant a helping hand in this particular situation. And, the help, consists of Filfaeril of Tymora (CG female Tethyrian human Clr1 of Tymora, 23 years). Now, as Asheyron the Merchant is not going to travel, he sends his son Evendur (CN male Chondathan human Com1, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 10, 18 years) instead. You see, Evendur is a dreamer, with little ambition and no desire of becoming a merchant as his father. He is gifted tough, but, maybe, too lazy.

So, in the first wagon, Miri (NG female Chondathan human Com1, teamster, 28 years), one of the teamsters, and Evendur would travel. In the second wagon would Steddal from Espar (LN male Chondathan human Com1, teamster, 24 years) and Gorstag 'the Sweaty' (NG male Chondathan human Com1, cook, 38 years) travel. And, in the third wagon would Gorstag 'the other one' (LG male Chondathan human Com1, teamster, 23 years) and Arlho (LG male Tethyrian human Com1, carpenter, 33 years) travel. Now, Gorstag hates to be calle 'the other one', but, that is what he is called by the others.

One Commoner left. What to do of him, or her? ... Well, lets say that it is Alasalynn (LG female Chondathan half-elf Com1, 57 years) ... what would you do of her? Guide? Spare teamster? A nonexperinced merchant? A clerk?

Time is running away ... and I am having fun ... but, time to take a look at the 5 War1. These are the guards, and for simplicity, they will all be mounted as well as the leader of the merchant group, Filfaeril of Tymora. When appropiate, Filfaeril and one of the guards would travel in front of the first wagon. And, two other guards would travel at the end of "caravan". The other two guards would be travelling a bit ahead of the "caravan". Now, the guards:

- Stedd, LG male Chondathan human War1, 19 years. Stedd is a stout farmer that has been working as merchant guard for some time. Once he killed a goblin with his crossbow.

- Esvele, LG female Chondathan half-elf War1, 54 years. Esvele is a very calm person with little ambition. She has spent most of her time as guard in Suzail, and has never travelled far away from the capital.

- Florin, NG male Chondathan human War1, 16 years. This young man has never seen an orc.

- Bedara, LG female Chondathan half-elf War1, 26 years. Bedara has been working as temple guard and is a follower of Tymora.

- Derene, LG female Chondathan human War1, 29 years. Derene, she has made the trip to Dagger Falls before, and, she has killed an orc, wounded a gnoll, and chased away a wolf. Still, she is a 1st-level Warrior.

With the presentation of the guards ready, it is time to look at the equipment. I would equip the merchant guards with leather armors, studded leather, and chain shirts. And, I would arm them with longswords, daggers, and large steel shields. For range, light crossbow would do.

Hmmm ... armors, cloth, and swords would be transported together with food and other equipment necessary for the four tendays long travel. How much, and to what value, that is another issue.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  01:48:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grr having problrm with quote feature.

"7 1st-level Commoners, 5 1st-level Warriors, and 1 1st-level Cleric"

This allows for more wagons and guards. I do not see a problem with a Cleric in charge. It could be bringing aid and even if not the organization needs to be close to cash even.

The increased party size allows for more wagons, though back up drivrs of three wagons also works.

" One Commoner left. What to do of him, or her? ... Well, lets say that it is Alasalynn (LG female Chondathan half-elf Com1, 57 years) ... what would you do of her? Guide? Spare teamster? A nonexperinced merchant? A clerk?"

I would advise using as a scout, but any member could be used as a scout. It should be infered that all in the caravan are in a position to learn how to be a merchant. One learns (if they choose to) from the company they keep. You already have posible clerk with 5 Coms.

The rest for now I leave to you, the NPCs sound like they could be very interesting.

Edited by - Kentinal on 19 Apr 2005 01:50:41
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  07:29:13  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More wagons and guards ... I stick to three wagons for the time beeing.

To Alasalynn then, she was selected by Asheyron the Merchant for the position as guide and scout in competition with Barandos One-Eye (LN male Chondathan human Exp2, 17 years) and Thursk from Wheloon (CG male Chondathan human Rgr1, 29 years). Now, I get the impression that Asheyron the Merchant did a poor choise.

Now, the Commoners and Warriors are not just teamster or guards. As you mentioned, any of them could be a scout at any time. Now, of course, that fellow with the Alertness feat will be the most effecient scout. Furthermore, I think that, at least, the Commoners have to be a kind of "jack-of-all -trades". Thus, we have the cook and the carpenter that should be able to do something more, now and then, perhaps be the teamsters for a while. And, although they are not fond of fighting, most probably, they will be armed.

Kentinel, thanks for your posts. I really appreciate for comments.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  22:32:58  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

Is there somebody who would like to make a rough calculation of costs for the merchant party? They are heading from Suzail to Dagger Falls, and, the trip will take four tendays. Tilverton is gone, but, if it had not, would that change your view of the costs?

/Manuel

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  03:53:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The basic costs are food and wages, the rest of the items would be already owned. Oh there might be some repair costs to wagon, herness or other equipment.

Food costs. 13 people 40 days, 3 wagons drawn by two horses each at least 6 more horses for scouts and spares equal 12 horses for 40 days.

BTW this food cost is trail rations 5 sp * 13 * 40 = 260 gp plus fodder 5 cp * 12 * 40 = 24 gp for a total food cost of 284 gp. This cost can be reduced by hunting and perhaps rations could be purchased on route at lower costs if can bargin or trade well. I would use 300 as base price in case of spoilage, waste and other cooking supplies.

Wages I would pay the Com 5 gp per ten day and the Warrors 10 gp per tenday as a base figure 5 * 7 * 4 + 10 * 5 * 4 = 340 gp total costs stright mumbers is 624, but I would round up to 650 as base costs. Room for some bonus and or repairs. Base figure subject to change based on danger level, time of travel and perhaps a bargin to share profits instead of a straight pay.

Of course changing number of horses/mounts does have a minor effect on food costs.

If towns along route impose tolls or tavel permit fees those need to be added to costs or tolls/fees avoided by going off road, it might increase travel time a little however it might save money. The merchant leader of course does not get paid a wage but earns (hopefully) a profit after completeing trade mission.

Edit: D&D does not do economics well at all there are many ways to cut the costs. Bring food animals with you is less expensive then trail rations. The feed cost is clearly under priced because 10 pounds of gain per day should cost 10 cp instead of 5 cp and horses need much more then 10 pounds per day in grasses. There is also the water requirements that need to be made as well if not traveling in rivered lands.

Edited by - Kentinal on 21 Apr 2005 04:16:59
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  14:23:01  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I will try to make a sumamry of this ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000