Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Talontar Blightlord
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  15:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am getty ready to run a campaign set in the Unapproachable East. One of my PC's is an elf woodling druid, so I wanted to make a campaign that would ensure his usefulness. So far I've created a Talontar Blightlord and a cleric of Talona who have been spreading blight throughout an (as yet to be determined but somewhere near Thay) forest. They have corrupted several Treants and many Volodni, who have been attacking nearby settlements. My idea is to have the situation "force" the party (who is good aligned) into cooperation with a tribe of the People of the Black Blood, and a Red Wizard, who also want to eliminate this blight from their homeland. My thinking is that this will provide a good roleplaying opportunity for my players.

Does this sound far-fetched at all? I am assuming there is not an over abundance of druidic magic being practiced in Thay, and that even a tribe of evil lycanthropes doesn't want their hunting grounds to become desolate.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  17:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great start, that will enable your Druid to participate fully. I have alwyas had to work to engage diverse parties. Druids are one of the more specialized classes and take a lot of work.
I personally love blightlords as villains for nature types, they are perfect antithetical opponents for elves, rangers and druids.

A couple of questions about your plot..
1 Why are the Blightlord and the Cleric of Talona working together. Is one blackmailing the other? Are they working towards a common goal? Is one using the other to achieve some goal yet unrevealed?

2 What are they trying to accomplish?

3 Who is behind them? If there is someone, you have a plot hook for further adventures.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  19:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

A couple of questions about your plot..
1 Why are the Blightlord and the Cleric of Talona working together. Is one blackmailing the other? Are they working towards a common goal? Is one using the other to achieve some goal yet unrevealed?

2 What are they trying to accomplish?

3 Who is behind them? If there is someone, you have a plot hook for further adventures.

Good Questions
1. Each of them is using the other one to further her goals, the cleric is the weaker of the two and she sees the blightlord as a means to strengthen her power among worshippers of Talona. The Blightlord uses the cleric for her wealth from which her plans are funded.
2.The Blightlord is trying to spread death and decay across Faerun, plain and simple. The cleric on the other hand, has more practical motivations, such as a desire for power.
3. Actually these two are the ones behind the scenes at the beginning of the campaign. I want the players to be contacted about the blight that has reached some of the farms in the area. As they investigate, they will encounter the blightspawned animals (which will hopefully be mistaken as undead) and later the blightspawned Volodni and Treants, eventually they will work their way to the cleric and her minions, and finally the Blightlord. Along the way, they will encounter the People of the Black Blood, Red Wizards, and a couple of other tricks I have up my sleeve.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  19:12:57  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like a good plot while a part can work witha Thayian wizard, I don't see a druid wanting to be anywhere near people of the Black Blood except to exterminate them.

This coming from the views of both sides involved we actually came across a similar situation in the game and it had our party picking sides.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elven_songstress

It seems like a good plot while a part can work witha Thayian wizard, I don't see a druid wanting to be anywhere near people of the Black Blood except to exterminate them.

This coming from the views of both sides involved we actually came across a similar situation in the game and it had our party picking sides.

I agree, but I think it can be an interesting test of the druid's neutrality to put aside his personal feelings, even his beliefs for the greater good of the land. If the Black Blood want to stop the Blightlord as well, it only makes sense to accept their help, of course extermination might be considered later...

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  21:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by elven_songstress

I agree, but I think it can be an interesting test of the druid's neutrality to put aside his personal feelings, even his beliefs for the greater good of the land. If the Black Blood want to stop the Blightlord as well, it only makes sense to accept their help, of course extermination might be considered later...

A wise druid would use the aid of the Black Blood and find out their weaknesses, location of their homes etc. And when the problem with the blightlord and Priest of Talona is done, he will wipe them out to the best of his ability.
A devout druid will avoid the Black Blood and eliminate them to the best of his abilities, causing yet one more enemy for the fray. Nothing like a 5 sided conflict to keep things simple and straightforward.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Zy
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  22:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Zy's Homepage Send Zy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the past, I've played a Druid but never very logn or high level. But to me, this sounds like a good plot. Druids serve the land and they might have to take help from unusual places sometimes. I agree with Fletcher, work with the Black Blood then when the conflict is over, go after the Black Blood if you are strong enough.

May fate be gentle on you!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  04:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

A wise druid would use the aid of the Black Blood and find out their weaknesses, location of their homes etc. And when the problem with the blightlord and Priest of Talona is done, he will wipe them out to the best of his ability.

You read my mind! I had it in mind that some of the alliances made now could lead to more adventures later on.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  05:05:54  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xysma, do you have a copy of Unapproachable East? It's coz a lot of the information and ideas you have could be used with some of the stuff in the sourcebook.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SomeDude
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  05:25:11  Show Profile  Visit SomeDude's Homepage Send SomeDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're playing in the northern borders of Thay, your adventures with the Blightlord would probably catch the attention of some near-by witches. This might also be compilated by your PC's affiliation with a red wizard.

This is the highest my post count has ever been.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  18:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Xysma, do you have a copy of Unapproachable East? It's coz a lot of the information and ideas you have could be used with some of the stuff in the sourcebook.

Yep! That's actually what I'm using to create most of the campaign. Thanks for the input though.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  18:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SomeDude

If you're playing in the northern borders of Thay, your adventures with the Blightlord would probably catch the attention of some near-by witches. This might also be compilated by your PC's affiliation with a red wizard.

That's interesting, hmmm... Rasheman witches.... exxxxcellent. *does best Mr Burns impersonation*

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  01:17:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like to follow the events of the novels and consider them as 'canonical' in terms of how they affect your game, then you should give a look to "Lady of Poison" (or something like that) which sees the finalisation of the Rotting Man plot point.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  20:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to thank you, Krashos. Iīm searching for Unapproachable East infos, too. Can you tell me if are more books that deserve attention? (novels, adventures, anything?). I have the Unapproachable East, Spellbound, and I will search for the Lady of Poison, now that you talk about it, and if exist some other books, I will be glad to know.

Thanks,

Yuri "Letīs take a trip in the tunnels of Delhumilde" Peixoto, really wanting to gain more levels.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  14:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If you like to follow the events of the novels and consider them as 'canonical' in terms of how they affect your game, then you should give a look to "Lady of Poison" (or something like that) which sees the finalisation of the Rotting Man plot point.

-- George Krashos

I started reading this novel when it first came out, but put it down after the first few chapters. I should probably go back and finish it before this campaign starts. Thanks G.K.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000