Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Races of Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  08:57:59  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Cormyr, with a population of 1,360,800 inhabitants, has a human population that makes 85% of the total population. The major non-human groups are the half-elves (10%) and the elves (4%). Other non-human groups in Cormyr make c 1% of the population and could consist of dwarves, halflings, and half-orcs among others.

Has anybody decided how the remaining 1% should be distributed? If you would distribute the remaining 13,608 inhabitants, and would then, for example, distribute them as 65%, 20%, 11%, and 4%, how would you do?

Example,
The halflings make 65%, the gnomes 20%, the dwarves 11%, and the remaining 4% consists of other non-human races such as half-orcs, planetouched, and so on.

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  09:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let me take some time to figure that out.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:44:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

Cormyr, with a population of 1,360,800 inhabitants, has a human population that makes 85% of the total population. The major non-human groups are the half-elves (10%) and the elves (4%). Other non-human groups in Cormyr make c 1% of the population and could consist of dwarves, halflings, and half-orcs among others.

Has anybody decided how the remaining 1% should be distributed? If you would distribute the remaining 13,608 inhabitants, and would then, for example, distribute them as 65%, 20%, 11%, and 4%, how would you do?

Example,
The halflings make 65%, the gnomes 20%, the dwarves 11%, and the remaining 4% consists of other non-human races such as half-orcs, planetouched, and so on.

I don't see a reason to even worry about it... To me, it just means that there's other races there -- not a lot, but a few here and there. I can't see a reason I'd need to worry about the actual distribution of those less-represented races.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would like to know how many dwarves there are in Cormyr ... and then ... who they are. But, I do not want to also elaborate Cormyr ... So, I hope that fellow fans have tought a bit or two, and could help me.

I guess that there are several dwarven clans in Cormyr, some from Oghrann, others from Tethyamar, some from Myth Drannor, and so on ...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  18:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Player's Handbook races:

Halflings and gnomes are fairly common in Cormyr. Gnomes are found in cities and in outlying settlements. Halflings actually outnumber half-elves in Marsember, and are known to have small, unnamed settlements in the southeastern coastal region of the realm.

Dwarves in Cormyr are usually found as individuals or in small family units, not as clans. Dwarves of Cormyr tend to me emigres from other locales, who for some reason (trade, or simply liking the stability of the kingdom) decided to stay.

Elves tend to keep to themselves, not really revealing their heritage to most, or maintaining small, quiet abodes within the King's Forest or the Hullack.

Half-orcs are not welcome in most places in Cormyr, especially Arabel, where they have never been welcome (and recent events have only made things worse for them).
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  18:06:57  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great, but ... Player's Handbook? You mean Player's Guide to Faerūn, or?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  19:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I meant Player's Handbook, which is to say that I was discussing the situations of the 7 races that appear in the PH (human, dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, half-orc and halfling), and not any other races (planetouched, for example).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000