Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "hanging tower" adventure query
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grodog
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  06:58:38  Show Profile  Visit grodog's Homepage Send grodog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think an adventure was published sometime in the FR history about a floating wizard's tower that's partially ruined and inaccessible unless you can fly up to it (the lowest portion of the tower is several stories above the ground). I recall it being a high-level adventure, in the wilderness (so, not underground in a cavern, not in a city, etc.). Any ideas what it was, when it was published, etc.?

This may have also been a part of a FR novel that I read aeons past too, so it may not be a published module, perhaps from one of Elminster's early days?? I think that something like this was published in Dungeon in the past few years, but I just don't keep tabs closely enough to recall. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@pacbell.net
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Different Worlds Publications
http://www.diffworlds.com/

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  08:05:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't check my FR archive since I'm at work, but thinking about it, the only FR adventure that I can remember at the moment that even sounds similar to that was "A Wizard's Fate" from Dungeon #37. I believe it was set near the High Forest.

Of course, this is off-hand so I may be incorrect.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Jun 2005 08:08:28
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  12:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster, The Making of a Mage had a floating tower in it. If my memory serves me, “Elmara” used a succession of some kind of Rope Trick To get her and her party up there.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  12:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Elminster, The Making of a Mage had a floating tower in it. If my memory serves me, “Elmara” used a succession of some kind of Rope Trick To get her and her party up there.

There is a ruined wilderness tower in 'The Wizard's Challenge'. The tower isn't floating, but there is a levitation/fly shaft in the middle, and the upper floors are unaccessible without either of those spells.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  12:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the Flaming Tower and the Temple in the Sky (Daggerdale)?

Or the Falling Tower in Kirinwood (Cormyr?)

Edited by - Faraer on 15 Jun 2005 12:42:19
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  20:12:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 105 Serpent Kingdoms:

Under the heading of Marsh of Chelimber
"The waggishly named Dunkapple Castle, which hangs upside down with its spires in the muck at the head of the Winding Water, was once the abode of the Wizard of the Crag but is now home to a huge thirst of stirges."

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  20:13:39  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

If I'm not mistaken, this tower no longer exists save for twinkling motes of light...
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  23:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an adventure published that seems similar to the description you provide but it was not specific to the Forgotten Realms. Perhaps the name of the module was the "Endless Staircase", and I believe it was for the original high level adaptations of the basic Dungeons and Dragons game. I'll have to poke around in the molding tomes in the cellars.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  01:38:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

There was an adventure published that seems similar to the description you provide but it was not specific to the Forgotten Realms. Perhaps the name of the module was the "Endless Staircase", and I believe it was for the original high level adaptations of the basic Dungeons and Dragons game. I'll have to poke around in the molding tomes in the cellars.

Are you talking about Tales of the Infinite Staircase? 'Tis a PS adventure module.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2005 01:39:28
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  02:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a poor recollection for the details but I swear that in a Dragon magazine from a couple years ago there was a tower like that detailed in one of Ed's articles about interesting locales.

Looking at an online Dragon Magazine index, I am thinking it might be the Talntower in issue 297, or maybe the Crumbling Stair in issue 275.

Now it's bugging me. I think I will have to track down those issues and see if I can find it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  02:51:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed described one such tower (lower levels gone, upper level kept aloft) in a Volo's Guide (it was even illustrated therein). No map or 'dungeon' adventure, though. And yes, one was in Making Of a Mage.
We Knights found another, but that's another tale, for another time . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

grodog
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  06:52:50  Show Profile  Visit grodog's Homepage Send grodog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm relatively sure this wasn't a 3e FR book mention, since I don't own many of those (although it could have been a 3e FR adventure in Dungeon), and I don't own any PS books either. Based on the vagueness of my recollections, I'm leaning toward some 1e-ish source.

I'll flip through the Making of a Mage if I still have a copy, and see if that's what I was recalling; I'll dig up Dungeon 37 too....

grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@pacbell.net
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Different Worlds Publications
http://www.diffworlds.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  14:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahha! Tucked carefully in its protective cover, I have found the tome I was looking for. The Name of the particular book is "The Endless Stair", CM8.

"The Great Mage Cheiromar, known as Aglahund the Mighty, is said to be buried under the Leaning Stone atop Galzar's Crag. One of his apprentices, Ulthorn, has been discovered dead in an aperture of the Leaning Stone…a doorway that locals swear has never been there before!

You must discover how Ulthorn died and the mystery of the Leaning Stone. In the process, you may find yourself at the Endless Stair. Those who never climbed it say is seems to lead nowhere. Those who did never lived to tell of it.

Will you dare ascend into the unknown?"

Basic Edition Dungeon and Dragons adventure for 15th to 20th level characters. Also available for $4.95 at RPGNow.com. How quaint.

So, no, it was not a Planescape tome, for I do not traffic in such items. I leave those items to other scribes here at Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  14:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Or the Flaming Tower and the Temple in the Sky (Daggerdale)?

Or the Falling Tower in Kirinwood (Cormyr?)

I adapted the module 'The Wizard's Challenge' as the Falling Tower in Kirinwood, with slight changes to NPCs, events and locations.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000