Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Master of Chains (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  06:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

Thank you Ethriel.

To answer your question, I don't currently have plans to write a sequel, but I'd really like to. Perhaps if Master of Chains does well enough, I'll get to write one.

-Jess

Dare I suggest the sequel's title as Mistress of Whips and Chains?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  06:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was just going to say that we should pose the map shifting question to Steven, since he's really the Keeper of All Knowledge when it comes to Erlkazar.

I'll be curious what you think about how I handled Lord Purdun (Old Firefist) and King Korox. There was a ton of really good stuff in the Lands of Intrigue books that I used, and I know all of that was your baby.

I'll let you know as soon as I find the book and read it. I'm sure you did fine with it, as Erlkazar's little more than a skeleton with a lot of potential.

Even so, I'm not the guy to ask about the map switch. Didn't happen on my watch, as I was gone from WotC by the time they'd decided on it. I just keep reminding folk that it's still there regardless of how the maps are drawn. After all, the maps actually make it an even closer analogue to Scotland now--all hills and mountains, nothing flat.

By the by--the maps, like the rules, keep changing to suit the needs of the company, but that may or may not have actual effects on the Realms in your campaigns. Always remember--the story and the fun are vastly more important than the rules.

Steven
Who, like Ed, would rather belay most stats and rules for more lore

Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  06:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, although there is a spoilers warning in the topic, I thought I would give a little SPOILER heads-up.

First off, let me start off by saying Jess Lebow is lucky enough to have one of the coolest covers I have ever seen in a DL or FR book. So here's to Raymond Swanland.

PRELUDE-CHAPTER 5

I just wanted to give my thoughts of the book thus far. I am currently only on chapter 6 and will post more once I read several more chapters.

To begin, the prelude was quite interesting. I always love it when people enter mysterious tombs or dungeons. The scene with the glabrezu was quite captivating and I particularly liked the detail Mr. Lebow used here. Additionally, when Purdun and Menrick ventured further into the tomb, the scene with Shyressa was also very vivid. I was a little surprised that Purdun made it out of the tomb alive, but I guess I didn't realize the overall plan for his character yet.

Chapters 1-2 were fairly self-explanatory. The characters of Liam and Ryder were just starting to get interesting to me right when the revolutionaries were ambushed. Of course from reading the back of the book I knew one of the main characters was in for a rough ride, but 20 pages in? That was a nice surprise. Way to keep the reader on his toes, Mr. Lebow. Also, the scene with Liam having to tell Ryder's wife that her husband was dead was painted in my head. But,man, did Liam and Ryder's mom irritate me!

Chapter 3 is my favorite chapter thus far. I loved the character of Lord Tammsel. Is this an original character that Mr. Lebow wrote, or has he been in previous novels? I mean, a half-elven, half-dragon is just a cool idea and this is my first exposure to one such character. Also, you finally get a glimpse into Shyressa's plans although not too much to give it all away. I am very eager to see if another Purdun-Shyressa encounter will take place so Shyressa can get some revenge for that wicked wound he inflicted. I also thought it was a chilling scene when Shyressa spoke to Menrick as he ate Lord Tammsel's corpse. Very good imagery there.

Chapters 4-5 were also more character development and plot thickening. I am eager to see if Liam will accept Purdun's offer. They sure seem to think he will! Will this eventually lead to a Liam-Ryder encounter? That would be quite uncomfortable for sure...

I will write more as soon as I finish another chunk of this exciting novel. Great work so far, Mr. Lebow!

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  16:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I'm hoping for a sequel to see resolution to poor Ryder and for that witch Shyressa to get hers
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  17:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CHAPTER 6 had some good character development. But what is going on with Liam and Ryder's parents? I mean, BOTH of them are worthless! I actually felt sorry for Liam during this chapter. We also get to see Montauk place his plan into action.

CHAPTER 7 was a brutal chapter. Ryder's beating from the Taskmaster honestly made me cringe. Mr. Lebow's description during the beating was very vivid. I had a hunch someone was going to come to Ryder's rescue before he was actually beaten to death though and that definitely came true.

CHAPTER 8 was another very solid chapter, one of my favorites. I loved the description of the location of Dowmore Glen. I felt sorry for Liam in this chapter too since his own "family members" were questioning his reason for meeting with Purdun, which wasn't even his fault. And when Montauk took Ryder's place in the Council, you could feel Liam's hatred and it was very understandable. At this point, I wished Liam would just join Purdun! A nice little fight scene ended this chapter,and you finally get to see some vampires out and about. The wolves that followed them around was a very cool touch too. Overall, a very solid chapter indeed.

CHAPTER 9 had some serious action. The Taskmaster finally got what was coming to him (which was a brutal end) and you get to learn a little more about Nazeem. I get the feeling he will play a rather large role by the time this book is over.

CHAPTER 10 was probably the most interesting chapter in terms of plot twists. You are given hints that perhaps Purdun had reasons for what he was doing to this citizens and that the true oppressor is Shyressa and Montauk. Liam is obviously reluctant to believe Purdun, but I think he will come around soon since his own group just basically called him a liar.

Great book so far!

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  18:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished this novel yesterday evening and it was a really fun read with some nice little touches. All the Main Characters had several personality flaws/imperfections, which made them "real" and also made it difficult to "like one of them best". Instead it was open until the end how it would go down. The vampire was perfectly hateable.
I also agree that there is a lot of possibilities, if a story with any/all of the characters should be continued.
And Ryder´s and Liam´s Father? Now that was pure gold IMO.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~

Edited by - Dart Ambermoon on 14 Sep 2005 18:08:00
Go to Top of Page

codewarriorpro
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  02:02:48  Show Profile  Visit codewarriorpro's Homepage Send codewarriorpro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those people who have read the book already.. how many character levels do you consider the main characters to have.

I typically only enjoy FR novels that have characters which are powerful... 14+ class levels and above. You get to read about interesting magic devices, spells, and class abilities.

Edited by - codewarriorpro on 15 Sep 2005 04:29:21
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  05:21:18  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CHAPTER 11 was a pretty standard chapter. You get a little more information about Liam and his brother's past. You also get to see how Samira affects Liam in a more personal way now that Ryder is gone. All in all, the chapter comes down to Liam accepting Purdun's offer to join the Elite Guard.

CHAPTER 12 was fairly interesting because you get to learn a little more about Broken Spear and Giselle. I really like the idea of a group of bandits living in an old giant city. It would be easily defended (except against giants) and would be perfect for bandits or thieves. But, sadly, by the end of the chapter Ryder ends up right where he started...in the chains.

CHAPTER 13 was also fun because you got to learn more about Purdun's men through Liam's perspective. It seems Captain Bettlestone has sorta taken Liam under his wing, so to speak. This is particularly handy when Phinneous decides to "flex his muscles" in front of Liam. The altercation between Phinneous' men and Liam was neat because Mr. Lebow really gave Liam a new personality with his new armor and weapons.

CHAPTER 14 was long and packed full of goodies. You got to see Ryder in action again, this time against some Dodkong. I got the feeling that Mr. Lebow really thought about this fight because advantage of cover, height, and weaponry really played a role thus far (the fight is still on-going). And the illusion from Curtis was most welcome!

CHAPTER 15 switches back to Liam and Beetlestone's men. This chapter shows the first real fight scene with vampires and it is quite chilling. They are indeed a powerful group and I wait in eager anticipation to see Shyressa in action.

Edited by - Renzokuken on 15 Sep 2005 05:27:32
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  09:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started this book a couple of days back and I just wanted to come over to personally thank Jess for such an amazing read. I haven’t had a great deal of time this week to read the book but what little I have read has really got my hooked.

The prelude was so creepy! I wanted to hide behind the cushion and the Lord and his wizard were depicted very well. Jess, you really drew me into that scene, I still feel damp from the sweats of panic and anticipation ;-)

The next chapters with Liam were great. I had read the excerpt for this before the book came out but it was just as great to read it again and still grabbed me every inch of the way!

Simply wonderful, I can’t wait to carry on reading your novel and I really hope we can see more of you writing in the Forgotten Realms. I will put more of my comments up on this novel shortly

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?

Edited by - Celebrant Moonflower on 15 Sep 2005 09:44:11
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  14:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I opened the book up today and I’m almost a third through and just can’t put it down (I think I’ve read the same statement here twice already )

SPOILERS

The pace is fast and is certainly a page-turner. I loved the opening prologue, a very eerie and dark scene, certainly made my skin crawl. The first chapter had me turning those pages even faster, it was a great show of brotherhood and I also liked how Liam stopped for Kharl too and dragged him away.

Good scene with Liam and Ryder’s wife. I thought about these situation back in the previous chapter before it had been suggested and imagined Liam’s task of breaking the news. Eek! The scene in the house where Lord Purdun’s guards are asking for his surrender and attempt to break the door down are excellent! I felt my chest tighten in anxiety

Over to Ryder, who I was surprised didn’t actually die anyway…. Fantastic writing here, I thought the scenes with Captain Phinneous were great. Just the sort of guy to be extracting information. Very brutal and a great character. I loved how he learnt over the bucket at Ryder to question him, then kicked it at him to smash into his face! A nasty piece of work. The scene with all the slaves chained up and being told the rules by the taskmaster were even better. I loved how he paraded them around in a circle to the drumbeats. These scenes, in fact, the book as a whole, make me feel like I’m watching this story as a movie! It’s very well written and I’m absolutely loving it so far

Oh another thing, what WERE those guards who stepped up from those cloaks in Purdun’s library? It was quite scary how they appeared as just static cloaked guards and then realised they were actually kneeling and stood higher as they approached.

Can you tell me what these are, exactly, Jess? And where I can read of them (if they’re some obscure creature).

Also, what were your primary sources for Erlkazar. Do we have a full list of all the baronies?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  18:16:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Also, what were your primary sources for Erlkazar. Do we have a full list of all the baronies?

The Lands of Intrigue box set has really the only detailed info about both. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  21:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by codewarriorpro

For those people who have read the book already.. how many character levels do you consider the main characters to have.

I typically only enjoy FR novels that have characters which are powerful... 14+ class levels and above. You get to read about interesting magic devices, spells, and class abilities.

My guess -- and I'm not Jess, so don't take this as any more than it is -- is that the characters start lower and end up higher. By the end, the MoC has somewhere in the upper half of the teens, having garnered all the powers of a Master of Chains.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  23:50:36  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally had time to finish this one. Well done Mr. Lebow. A work you should be very proud of. I have gone ahead a written a meticulous review (complete with criticisms). This is not meant to flame. The truth is that …chains… was a big improvement over several recent FR releases, and that is certainly a good thing. I closely analyze pretty much everything I read, so do take too much out of it.

SPOILERS AHEAD . . .

THE GOOD:
Basically everything that I did not list below as a criticism can be considered good. Mr. Lebow, I would not call your writing style as amazing, but it is very solid and your strength is your ability to keep things moving and not bog the tale down with too much unnecessary information. For this type of book, your technique was well suited.

There were actually a couple moments where I had trouble putting this book down, and that hasn’t happened in quite some time. The main characters were well fleshed out, and although I’m not particularly fond of vampires, you framed them well. Nazeem was interesting, and though I was disappointed in his treachery, it was also kind of exciting. The entire early part of this book was excellent. All of the slave scenes (IMHO, the best part in the book) were fantastic, and I really wanted to see that taskmaster die horribly after he nearly killed Curtis. Anytime you can elicit emotion from the reader, you’ve done your job.

As I said earlier, anything not listed below was done very, very well.

THE GRIPES:
-these are in no way flames, but merely observations. Please feel free to fire back, Mr. Lebow, and remember that it is but a single man’s opinion.

First off, a very minor complaint. Ryder’s cool enchanted chain weapon. Not only was it a little TOO convenient that Jace just happened to have one, but also, Ryder barely ended up using it! I was expecting him to kick-tail with that thing the rest of the book! Instead, it was slightly used until he was killed.

The whole situation with Purdun wanting Liam was just confusing and strange. Let me explain; I thought there was some major plan that Purdun had for Liam (it was kind of led up that way). Instead, it was really nothing more than for Liam to join the guard? OKAY?? First off, how would Purdun even KNOW that Liam was a good fighter, or for that matter, a part of the Crimson Awl? If Purdun knew all the members of the Crimson Awl beforehand, they would’ve been weeded out long ago. But strangely, Purdun had this hardcore desire to have Liam join as if he were the son of Tyr himself. None of that made any sense.

That brings me back to Purdun. And this, I believe, is quite the unbelievable plot-hole. The entire first part of the novel, he was depicted as this evil, selfish, unmerciful baron. The prologue makes him out as kind of a snobbish, thieving noble. Also, he must’ve done some horrible things for so many people to hate him, and the Crimson Awl to form in opposition. Yet peculiarly, by the end of the story he’s depicted as this great man who cares only for the people of Duhlnarim. Even Liam had totally changed his mind about the baron. WHY????? The man never changed throughout the entire book. What did Purdun do to make us think he was really a great man and not the scoundrel he was made out to be? He wouldn’t leave his fortress even when requested to do so by the king . . . that’s one thing I guess. But still, that transition did not work well for me.

I didn’t like Chapter 13 very much. It just seemed like an excuse to have a fight. If Purdun wanted Liam to join the guard so badly, there is NO WAY he would allow Captain Phinneous and three of his footmen to suddenly take on Liam with death on the line, on Liam’s FIRST DAY nonetheless. I understand you were building on Phinneous’ character and his hatred for Liam, but it could have been done much differently and still been effective.

This personally was the most disappointing thing for me. The whole love-making with Ryder/Giselle and Liam/Samira was a big letdow. I can maybe understand the latter, since Samira thought Ryder was dead. But still, it had only been a few months. She was already done grieving???? When she says to Liam, “I’ve secretly looked at you too,” it was like she was chomping at the bit to get a ride on the younger brother, and the significance of the marriage took a major blow. As for Ryder, I nearly closed the book in disgust when he got with Giselle. I realize a man has urges, but he couldn’t wait a few more days for his WIFE (who was supposedly the most important thing in the world to him)!!?? And then, as he’s racked with guilt, HE DOES IT AGAIN!!! I went from loving his character to being severely indifferent. Loyalty anyone??

Okay, back to the good. Great job, Mr. Lebow! If you write another, I would most definitely buy it. You understand the realms very well.

Edited by - wwwwwww on 15 Sep 2005 23:57:01
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  06:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. It's nice to hear such pleasant praise.

C-fb: The idea to write about a Master of Chains really came to me from an old campaign. I had a buddy in this game who always used a net, or a whip, or a spiked chain. He was so good at it, that he often frustrated the DM. So, when the fighters' series came up, I thought, heck, I'd like to see if I can make the character half as interesting as my old gaming buddy did.

Steven: Smashing idea. You don't mind if I steal that title, do you? ;)

Renzokuken: Yeah, great cover, huh? A lot of people remark on Lord Tammsel. I wish I could take credit for him, but you have Mr. Schend to thank for the half-dragon, half-elf lord.

Ambermoon: Thanks :)

Lord Rad: I don't want to tell you too much. You'll learn more about the guards later. And, yes, the Lands of Intrigue was my primary source.

Codewarriorpro: Erik is right. Ryder gains about 6 levels in his prestige class, putting him in the 14+ range.

WWWWWWWW: I think these are fair criticisms. Certainly the cool chain could have made more of an impact, but I wanted to showcase some of the other cool abilities available to this class. It was a tradeoff.

To my mind, Purdun wanted Liam on Cpt. Beetlestone's recommendation. He needed someone to help him get to the Awl, and based on the elite guards' intelligence, Liam was the best man for the job. Also, Purdun just had a feeling about him.

The change in perspective on Purdun first as a bad guy then later as a good guy is the whole crux of the brothers' conflict. They are both led to believe that Purdun is a jerk. In the end, when the two meet face to face but on opposite sides, Purdun is the same man, but to Ryder he's still an oppressive jerk. To Liam, who has seen what the baron has to deal with, maybe he's not such a bad guy. This is what makes the two brothers and their conflict interesting. I mean, Liam and Ryder are very similar at the start of the book. Then, through a series of choices, both take separate paths, only to cross again toward the end. It's that moment when we realize exactly how much growth each character truly has had. Sure Purdun could have grown or changed during the book (and I might argue that he did, some), but in the end, he's less important than the brothers.

In Chapter 13, I guess I saw it differently. To my mind, no matter how much Purdun wanted Liam, that doesn't change the feeling his soldiers have about a one-time Awl member. They're going to extract their pound of flesh one way or another. Remember, these men have seen their friends die at the hands of the Awl. Liam is not their friend--yet.

So, you and my girlfriend are in complete agreement about Ryder and his affections for Giselle. That's the turning point for Ryder. It's the point where he goes from hero to anti-hero. (But I'm glad you didn't close the book in disgust :)

I'm not sure I adequately addressed all of your points. This could be a conversation over an ale that could take all night. I do, however, appreciate you giving my work as much thought as you have. Thank you.

-Jess

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  06:20:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jess, I think it's marvellous and refreshing to see an author engage readers as you have regarding their comments and feelings on the novel. Hats off to you - and you've just made "Master of Chains" a must-buy. When it hits my shores, naturally.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  07:01:32  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Jess, I think it's marvellous and refreshing to see an author engage readers as you have regarding their comments and feelings on the novel. Hats off to you - and you've just made "Master of Chains" a must-buy. When it hits my shores, naturally.

-- George Krashos

I'll have to second that, Mr. Lebow. I am very impressed to see you come on and calmly explain what you had in mind. To be honest, after I wrote that review, I felt a little nervous that I might have been a little too harsh on it, especially considering that I actually did like the book a lot! I even e-mailed someone and said, "I hope he's not too put-off by it." Seeing how you handled it, I have the utmost respect for you. You area true professional. Again, great job on the book!!

Also, your point about Ryder turning from hero to anti-hero is a very good one that I hadn't really weighed. I guess I as rooting for him so heavily that I couldn't make that changeover very well.

Thank you for not wanting me dead on the spot. As I said before, if you write another, I will most certainly buy it!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  08:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm loving it so far, i'm 2/3 of the way through and am finding it to be a top quality FR novel. The character development is great and much of the relationships are very down-to-earth - Liam with his father, Ryder's wife etc. etc.

The slave scenes are fantastic! The taskmaster really took a good beating (and well deserved too ). The scene was very brutal and graphic. I had to turn away when Ryder's foot went through his face urgh! Great writing and a good part of the novel, lots of things are coming together and things are building up for something, I can just feel it

Jess, have you had any previous fighting\boxing\martial arts background or anything? I can feel the channeled anger coming out in your writing

Also, this book reads very true to a lot of relationships in life for some people. I feel that the characters have a lot of depth to what I usually read.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  18:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you on that one, Lord Rad. That taskmaster with the silly name (Mr Copperpot or something ) made me angry. I wanted to kick him sooooo hard. These slavery scenes were very good... Thayan slavers have a thing or two to learn from these lot

Work and personal life is stopping me reading the book as often as i'd like but i've just got to the point of the vampire attack. You're an evil man, Mr Lebow.... I love it It was very creepy when they were traveling along on horseback and the mist crept along the ground. Those vampires are pretty nasty.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  18:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Celebrant Moonflower

I'm with you on that one, Lord Rad. That taskmaster with the silly name (Mr Copperpot or something ) made me angry. I wanted to kick him sooooo hard. These slavery scenes were very good... Thayan slavers have a thing or two to learn from these lot

Work and personal life is stopping me reading the book as often as i'd like but i've just got to the point of the vampire attack. You're an evil man, Mr Lebow.... I love it It was very creepy when they were traveling along on horseback and the mist crept along the ground. Those vampires are pretty nasty.

SPOILERS BELOW

I'm at that very point myself! (well just a little further by the sound of things). I agree, the vampire attack was very well done, and again, quite graphic. This is what I love about Realms authors lately, they're not afraid to crank up and mature content, a pleasant change from the novels of the old days (which are still very good stories, regardless).

Also from this scene, I liked how Liam and the veteran elite guard (sorry, I don't recall his name at the moment), were talking. A nice bit of background and it must be hard for both of them to cope knowing that they're now on the same side.

Oh, and Liam has some serious issues. He needs to chill a little and stop biting peoples heads off

EDIT for spoiler warning, sorry.

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 16 Sep 2005 19:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  19:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS BELOW

Oh, and the undead giants really made my skill crawl. It's not something I had ever expected to read about. It's just so...so, unnatural They were pretty scary things and the atmosphere in that part of the book had a strange feel about it. I sure would'nt have liked to have been there myself! I see where the actual Master of Chains comes into play now too! A nice weapon, are there any actual gaming details or specfics about it anywhere?

...and I was shocked to hear that dwarves....DWARVES, kept giants as slaves! How the hell did they manage that?!

This is one hell of a flavor-packed book. I'm going to take a look through Lands of Intrigue later tonight due to been so drawn in.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  02:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey,

George: :)

WWWWWWWW: :) :)

Celebrant: Yeah, I liked that scene too. It gave me the shivers when I wrote it.

Lord Rad: No, I've not had any real martial arts training (unless you count the karate I took in 2nd grade). oh, and I've done a small amount of fencing. I do have a really good doctor friend who I call up to get details about wounds and such. My descriptions of what Taskmaster Cobblepot's face looks like after it's been smashed are medically accurate. There is a large crumple zone in the middle of the face. Doctors speculate that it's there sort of like empty space in the hood of a car...to take impacts and save your life. If it breaks, well, your face sort of folds over on itself. Your eyes lift and get closer together, and...well, you read the description.

Liam will chill. In that scene, he's still wound up over his introduction to the elite guard.

There are stats for a Master of Chains. They appear in Sword and Fist. The best stuff is in the middle to higher levels.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  09:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lord Rad: No, I've not had any real martial arts training (unless you count the karate I took in 2nd grade). oh, and I've done a small amount of fencing. I do have a really good doctor friend who I call up to get details about wounds and such. My descriptions of what Taskmaster Cobblepot's face looks like after it's been smashed are medically accurate. There is a large crumple zone in the middle of the face. Doctors speculate that it's there sort of like empty space in the hood of a car...to take impacts and save your life. If it breaks, well, your face sort of folds over on itself. Your eyes lift and get closer together, and...well, you read the description.

I think my knees have just buckled from under me! Whoah that's nasty! Well it sure appeared that the doctor friend of yours has given you some good information on detailing some of the injuries in the book. I think I need to ensure I wear a full-face helm whenever I leave the house in future, just in case!

Yeah I thought the intro with the elite guard was great. Very good character interaction for a strange situation of forced companionship

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  04:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town yesterday but I got some good reading time in and I am almost done with this excellent novel.

CHAPTER 16 finished the very cool fighting with the undead giants. I did think it was a little convenient that Jase just happened to have an enchanted chain weapon, but it did not seem so unbelievable as to detract from the current situation. And once again, Curtis saves the day with his magic. Very cool character thus far, although not very developed yet. I thought it was funny how Nazeem kinda got caught by the Broken Spear on his way out of the city, but he played it very cool.

CHAPTER 17 was, in my opinion, one of the first main plot chapters where the cogs that have been built up thus far started to turn. Montauk enters the King's chambers and insists Purdun is treating his people badly, thus ensuring Montauk's rein as a baron. And then you have Ryder...very interesting thing with the tub and a particular girl. I remember reading that chapter and thinking, "That could easily be the beginning of Ryder's downfall." But I guess we will see.

CHAPTER 18 was a fairly straight forward chapter. This chapter continues to built Liam's comfortability with the Elite Guard. Not only that, but he is also moving up in the ranks as he becomes Purdun's personal bodyguard. But the end of the chapter is most interesting. Is that Samira waiting for Liam in private quarters??

CHAPTER 19 is actually quite ironic. You have Ryder committing adultery on one side of the world and you have Ryder's brother making the moves on Ryder's wife. Uh oh...someone might die from all of this...

CHAPTER 20 is just a spectacular chapter. The King's men finally reach Zerith Hold to confront Purdun and question him about his "mistreatment" of his people. Things turn nasty quickly and Purdun, Liam, Purdun's giant bodyguards, and the Magistrates quickly draw swords. I really liked the build up to this fight as well as Purdun's dialogue with Olivio. It just felt extremely real to me. However, at the end of the chapter, the most interesting part of the chapter takes place with Shyressa killing off her trusty servant, Montauk. I am still not sure how much I like that move by Shyressa, but I suppose it is the most accurate of her character. All the pieces are in place and now all she has to do is act upon them.

CHAPTER 21 began with an excellent fight, probably my favorite one in the novel thus far. The magistrates versus Purdun and his men was just incredible to read. I was also surprised with how well Liam did although his tactics were certainly rash. The detail was superb here.

CHAPTER 22 is the calm before the storm. You have the King's men marching towards Zerith Hold, Ryder and Giselle's bandit group doing the same, and Nazeem betraying Ryder once again by informing Phinneous of the Broken Spear's arrival. So, essentially, four groups are all steering towards Zerith Hold.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  20:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Celebrant Moonflower

I thought the guy's name was Cobblepot and an homage to The Penguin aka Oswald Cobblepot, long-time foe of the Batman!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is one of the best FR novels I have ever read...without a doubt.

The story is fantastic and fast paced. There are so many twists and turns and deep character developments too.

SPOILERS

Man, Ryder sure had a rough deal. I could imagine myself being in his position... chained up, life on the brink, just found out his brother is now working for the other side, now his wife turns up and says shes having a life with his brother. He's also lost control of the Crimson Awl and things just go from bad to worse! I thought the story was very well written how the brothers started off very close and on the same side, but then it turned out that Ryder, who was actually the namesake for the book, doesn't pull through and ends up as, well... i dunno.. not quite the bad guy! Or was Liam more of the bad guy for selling out to the baron and taking Ryder's wife? Yowser! Great stuff!

It brought a lump to my throat with the scene where Samira came to Ryder whilst chained up... especially when he said goodbye, and she had already left

Another great part in that scene was when Captain Phinneous started laying into Ryder...and then the tables turned! I could have jumped up and cheered!

The whole undead attack was really well done, and the epilogue was eerie and wide open for continuation. I was saddened that Ryder was awakened as a vampire to serve Shyressa, although it was a great end to the book. Good how Menrick reappeared also. I felt a nice twinge of nostalgia from when i started the book.

Simply amazing!

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 18 Sep 2005 21:36:27
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  05:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CHAPTER 23 was fairly uneventful with Ryder saying goodbye to Giselle before he was off for Zerith Hold and Captain Phinneous preparing his troops for the possible return of Ryder. I liked Curtis once again in the chapter because he is probably the most useful character in the whole book (but he is an odd fellow).

CHAPTER 24 is an overload of emotion. Ryder and Liam finally meet one another after all this time. I mean, it was only a few months but their lives have changed so much that is seems longer. However, Ryder is once again captured which leads to perhaps the most gut-wrenching scene in the book: Samira and Ryder. This scene was incredible. Just marvelous! Samira leaving before Ryder was done talking was very sad. I could feel Ryder's anger; it was quite tangible. Mr. Lebow, great job on this dialouge. 5 star stuff here. It was at this point that I thought Ryder was actually going to turn "evil" and kill both Liam and Samira.

CHAPTER 25 was the beginning of the war inside Zerith Hold. I liked how Mr. Lebow brought back Kharl from the first chapter. For some reason, that kind of stuff always makes me nostalgic for the journey I have taken reading the book.

CHAPTER 26 continues the fighting. Once again, Menrick makes a return and once again I was eager to see it. Is it just me or is Lord Purdun a very cool character? And his bodyguards make him even cooler. This chapter is going to be known for the fight between Ryder and Liam. Although it was a short fight, it had some good dialouge. I didn't particularly like the speed at which Ryder realized the Crimson Awl was taken over by vampires, but word count constraints probably made that situation take place.

CHAPTER 27 saw an end to the short battle in Zerith Hold. I felt this chapter was a little rushed with the actual fight with Shyressa lasting only a few pages. But the description was top-notch and I loved how Curtis played a small role once again in the fighting (can you tell I am a Curtis fan?).

CHAPTER 28 had Shyressa making a little rebound from her defeat in Zerith Hold by summoning some more undead minions. While I did like this move, I would have wished you had more space to write about it. I was in shock at how fast things happened in this chapter with Knoblauch and Ryder getting bitten.

The EPILOGUE was very good. Will we ever see a sequel, Mr. Lebow? I can't imagine not knowing what happens to Ryder in death as one of Shyressa's humble servants. And dare I say, Curtis was there once again to see the whole thing unfold. Great character! Who was the robed figure who summoned Ryder? I couldn't for the life of me think of anyone it could be. Maybe I am just too brain dead from my differential equations exam today

SUMMARY:

Favorite chapter: Chapter 24. It had the most emotion.

Favorite character: Ryder/Curtis. Both played intregal parts of the story.

Favorite fight: A tie between Ryder's fight with the undead giants and Lord Purdun's men and Liam against the King's Magistrate.

Favorite quote: This takes place in Zerith Hold in the fight between Liam and Ryder. At seeing his brother attacking, Liam asks, "What are you doing?" Ryder replies, "I'm killing you."

Overall, a great novel that certainly deserves a sequel from WotC. Thanks for the ride, Mr. Lebow!

Edited by - Renzokuken on 20 Sep 2005 05:58:39
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  06:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, gang,

Steven: You caught me. The taskmaster is indeed an homage to The Penguin. (I really like Batman.)

Lord Rad: Thank you. I think that scene in the dungeon, when Cap. Phinneous comes in and has the tides turned is my favorite. When I was originally thinking about writing this book, that was the scene that popped into my head. It's the original inspiration for the whole book. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Renzokuken: Your synopses are so very good. I really enjoyed reading them. They were like re-reading the book for me. I don't know yet about a sequel. I'll keep you informed. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for all your commentary.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  18:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jess, you made me cry!!

How can anyone cope with such a string of disasters like Ryder did. When Samira came to see him it was awful.

Not awful i mean, you wrote it so well. It tugged my heartstrings and gave me such emotions that I couldn't read for the tears.

No other fantasy author has done that to me. Well done I think

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  20:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just cracked this book open last night, and I'm already excited about it! First, it deals with something I don't see too often in Realms novels: class struggle. A group of commoners are fed up with their lord and they aren't going to take it anymore. That's bound to make for some interesting reading.

Second, I haven't read too much yet, but I already very much like the protagonist, Ryder. Not only he is a nice person (and sympethic), but he strikes me as a very devoted brother to Liam, which is a wonderful quality for a person to have.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  21:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, all,

Celebrant: I think that's what all writers shoot for at some point or another. Sorry I made you sad :( But I'm glad it worked. ;)

Rinonalyrna: I hope you enjoy it. :)

-Jess
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000