Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "The Dungeons" novel series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There were at least two or three cities that crashed into the sea. Two are in the Sea of Fallen Stars, and another city is rumored to be in Tethyr's Firedrake Bay.

Deep Netheril was destroyed before the Fall of Netheril.

Nhalloth and Sakkors are the two Netherese enclaves that fell into the Sea of Fallen Stars when magic failed due to Karsus's folly.

Source: Steven's "Sea of Fallen Stars."

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 22 Jul 2005 18:04:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  22:58:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There were at least two or three cities that crashed into the sea. Two are in the Sea of Fallen Stars, and another city is rumored to be in Tethyr's Firedrake Bay.

Deep Netheril was destroyed before the Fall of Netheril.

Nhalloth and Sakkors are the two Netherese enclaves that fell into the Sea of Fallen Stars when magic failed due to Karsus's folly.

Source: Steven's "Sea of Fallen Stars."

Yup. The Netherese city rumored to be in Firedrake Bay comes from Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. Though, to be honest, it's actually referred to as a castle that fell from the sky.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  23:40:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if you look at one of Ed's recent answers in his thread, he pointed out that the whole mountaintop riding city image only applied to a handful of the largest enclaves, and most were more like floating keeps.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  22:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

If any authors of the other novels are here at Candlekeep, please speak up. Ok, maybe you're not permitted to give the novel title or details just yet but it would be nice to know who you are

I had to wait for the all-clear from the powers that be, but I can now say that I'm going to be part of the Dungeons series as well. My book is tentatively titled, The Howling Delve, and is due to be released in 2007. :)

--Jaleigh Johnson

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  23:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

quote:

If any authors of the other novels are here at Candlekeep, please speak up. Ok, maybe you're not permitted to give the novel title or details just yet but it would be nice to know who you are

I had to wait for the all-clear from the powers that be, but I can now say that I'm going to be part of the Dungeons series as well. My book is tentatively titled, The Howling Delve, and is due to be released in 2007. :)

--Jaleigh Johnson

Well met, Jaleigh, glad to see thee back at Candlekeep

This is splendid news, congratulations. The Howling Delve eh? Hmmm, that rings a bell for some reason. Tell me, if ye can, where will this tale be set?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  02:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

--Jaleigh Johnson

Yay Jaleigh! Congrats!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  03:52:22  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met, Jaleigh, glad to see thee back at Candlekeep

This is splendid news, congratulations. The Howling Delve eh? Hmmm, that rings a bell for some reason. Tell me, if ye can, where will this tale be set?

Thank you, Alaundo. I'm afraid I'm not allowed to tell at the moment where the story will be set, but I will say I tried to pick a spot on the map that hasn't seen a lot of action. The fewer toes trod on, the better, and all that. ;)

Thanks Erik, and congrats to you too. :)

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  05:41:06  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

--Jaleigh Johnson

Congratulations! "Queen of the Mountain" was excellent, I was hoping we'd get to see more of your work.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  23:45:22  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've mentioned in other Worlds, congratulations Erik and Jaleigh!
It looks like you'll both have your drafts in well before they are published.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  00:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. How can authors stand not seeing the fruits of their labor for two years!?! I'm looking forward to your work Jaleigh.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  20:19:51  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Jaleigh Johnson

Congrats Jaleigh! Excellent news!

--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:06:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, Brian, imagine how Ed of the Greenwood feels. He has prose sitting in WotC's hands that won't be published until 2009 (and was handed in back in 2002!).
Of course, he's also late on his current project . . .
love,
THO

P.S. And no, I'm afraid I can't be more specific.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  01:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

Wow. How can authors stand not seeing the fruits of their labor for two years!?! I'm looking forward to your work Jaleigh.

Believe it or not, sometimes it's better that way, at least for me. It gives you a chance to distance yourself from a project. If my novel/short story/article/etc... manuscript I've submitted doesn't go over well, or doesn't get published at all, I've already moved on to the next thing. If it does get published and is well received, it's a worthwhile wait. :) Speaking of which, thanks for all the kind words, guys, about RotDII, and the upcoming book. :)

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  04:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

Believe it or not, sometimes it's better that way, at least for me. It gives you a chance to distance yourself from a project. If my novel/short story/article/etc... manuscript I've submitted doesn't go over well, or doesn't get published at all, I've already moved on to the next thing. If it does get published and is well received, it's a worthwhile wait. :)

That's a great point. The most amusing thing is when one's style evolves a large amount between books, and you look back on something and say "Wow -- I wrote that?"

quote:
Speaking of which, thanks for all the kind words, guys, about RotDII, and the upcoming book. :)

Quite -- same from me, from my perspective!

Cheers indeed!

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  14:22:55  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Jaleigh!!!

Ed Greenwood has stuff submitted that has to wait until 2009? Yikes, I thought my publication date of 2008 was a long wait, heh.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  23:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious to ressurect an old thread: have there been any more updates on this series (or 'The Citadels')? New authors, changed authors, titles, release updates, or anything? I understand that some things might be NDA, but it has been a while enough that things might be changed. I'm quite interested in seeing the progression of this series.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  00:52:55  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I noticed that this was an old thread about halfway through - but kept on reading anyway! :)

I certainly understand the need for NDA's (*even if I don't like it!*) but have a question for any of the FR authors/THO:

Why is it that there is such a large lead-time for some of these projects?

I read from THO that Ed has something due out in 2009, and that it was handed in in 2002. Now - I'm just curious - WHY wait so long? I realize that there may STILL be some NDA reasons for this - but it seems that in 'general' this could be addressed without stepping on Mr. NDA's pesky toes (*even though I'd like to 'tiptoe throught the tulips' of Mr. NDA's toes sometimes!*)

Also - as a side-note - is it just me - or has WOC severly lengthened the lead-time Between novels in a series? I remember a time when they would come out every 3-6 months - instead of the nearly full year wait we generally have now. I mainly am curious - again - as to why. I don't like to read too much in-between books in a series - and having to wait 2 years after the first book comes out is - well - putting be behind in realmslore! LOL - Yes - I could read them as they are released - but I have a tendancy to forget some aspects of books if there is too great a wait in between. I learned that first-hand with the Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman, as well as the SF Donaldson Gap series - which I am fairly sure I never even finished as I got so mind-numbingly lost in the 2nd or 3rd book.

Also - since it IS January - and Erik said he had a January deadline for the first draft - how is that going? Surely the ststus of the first draft is not covered by NDA! Unless of course the novel has some temporal-planar relationship to WotC's publishing division in its very pages......Nah - Too weird!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  23:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Just curious to ressurect an old thread: have there been any more updates on this series (or 'The Citadels')? New authors, changed authors, titles, release updates, or anything? I understand that some things might be NDA, but it has been a while enough that things might be changed. I'm quite interested in seeing the progression of this series.

Not from my end. I do have suspicions as to the identity of a third Dungeons author (at least, as of November), but I'm just too darn squirrelly to say. (Well actually, it wouldn't be my place. )

quote:
Why is it that there is such a large lead-time for some of these projects?

As I understand it, WotC commissions novels. They contract them before they're written, so they can supervise every step of the writing process. The reason they do this is pretty clear: since writers are working in shared worlds, they need to exercise fairly tight control over the lines. This is partly to avoid stepping on toes (Can't have that loose cannon de Bie killing Elminster -- Ed's using him in such-and-such a book (and many and so on and so forth)), and partly for continuity issues (what? Drizzt was faring the sea at that time? But in this other book, which takes place about the same time, he's fighting in the Underdark! Realmslore error! Realmslore error!).

Trust me, Wizards does the best feasible job keeping everything consistent with other authors, sourcebooks, web publications, etc. It's a big world -- you've got to have a management of sorts.

So there's the reason for lead-time.

Now, why so much? Well, Wizards doesn't want to apply undue pressure to authors to get stuff in so fast. I believe they used to give authors about a year to write a book -- I think they've actually decreased it. I had 9 months or so to write Ghostwalker, and 6 to write Depths, I believe. There is also a substantial editing process, involving rewrites and multiple drafts, which eats up a few months, and typesetting takes a while.

And this isn't all that unusual -- as far as I'm aware, the standard wait time on a book is 12 months after the agent takes it off your hands, and that's a complete manuscript, not a commission.

Also, on top of all that, WotC is constantly planning where it wants to take its settings. The forecast is long-reaching (as might be evidenced by contracting stuff from the divine Bearded One out for quite a ways).

So, all said, those are some of the reasons behind WotC's policies, as I understand them.

I couldn't comment on things that are contracted for beyond two or three years, except to say that it might be forecasting (like I mentioned earlier) or it might be sheer volume (how many things is Ed contracted to do at the moment? Isn't it in the low teens?). Remember, WotC does have a bunch of authors -- the editors work really hard over there. I believe mine said she had three manuscripts to get through before she could get to Depths.

quote:
Also - as a side-note - is it just me - or has WOC severly lengthened the lead-time Between novels in a series? I remember a time when they would come out every 3-6 months - instead of the nearly full year wait we generally have now. I mainly am curious - again - as to why. I don't like to read too much in-between books in a series - and having to wait 2 years after the first book comes out is - well - putting be behind in realmslore! LOL - Yes - I could read them as they are released - but I have a tendancy to forget some aspects of books if there is too great a wait in between.

I don't know about this -- it isn't something I've noticed. The WotSQ books came out over about two years, didn't they? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure the Priests came out over one, and the Fighters is coming out over less than one (Master in Sept, Bladesinger in April). Erevis Cale came out July 2003 (Twilight Falling) to November 2005 ([i]Midnight's Mask[/i}). I suppose it's different for the different authors. RAS has said at signings that he writes one book a year. Ed writes more than that. And some write in other settings as well.

I guess the best answer is, well, it varies.

quote:
Also - since it IS January - and Erik said he had a January deadline for the first draft - how is that going? Surely the ststus of the first draft is not covered by NDA! Unless of course the novel has some temporal-planar relationship to WotC's publishing division in its very pages......Nah - Too weird!

Nope, status of the draft isn't NDA'd -- I don't think.

So let's see. . . . straight face. . . deep breath. . .

Yep. I did it. Blew my deadline. Totally missed the draft. Got fired. No more fictions from me.

Ok, I lied.

I finished the first draft in December. A month ahead of schedule.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 24 Jul 2006 20:57:30
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  20:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoop!

I swept this thread just to make sure I hadn't leaked anything out there (I hadn't) and it looks like it got bumped.

Oh horrors!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Realms novels when I haven't even read a tenth of what is out there?! I love it! As the saying goes, no Realmslore is bad Realmslore.

Now I'm just curious as to what dungeon Depths of Madness will be centered around.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 24 Jul 2006 21:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  18:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this on Rosemary Jones's site: http://members.aol.com/healingpgs/

'Twould appear that she's writing a Dungeons book. She calls it Dungeons 4, so maybe it's the fourth one.

Young Dragons unite!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  23:08:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this series is "plunging us back into the Dungeons from which D&D spawned",

I would like to make a small suggestion to the authors in the series.

Please feel free...Nay feel obligated, when tempted to state a distance to a door or trap or height of a statue or altar or whatever, to go ahead and take the plunge....

I know you want to...

Use measurement that are not based on 10'

I would love to hear a character say "hmm that's quite a chasm I need to leap there , it must be 12 or 13 feet wide!" lol

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  22:28:53  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapters bookstore lists The Howling Delve as a July 2007 release.
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  13:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why but I am excited for this series. If the name of the series is any indication of settings, then these novels may feel like classic hack n' slash adventures. Let's just hope the authors can slip in some plot and character development too. I am sure they will.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  17:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken

Let's just hope the authors can slip in some plot and character development too. I am sure they will.

We can only hope.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  00:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! Give me exposition, old men moaning about fish, and dance scenes from the point of view of mice.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  02:27:36  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken

I don't know why but I am excited for this series. If the name of the series is any indication of settings, then these novels may feel like classic hack n' slash adventures. Let's just hope the authors can slip in some plot and character development too. I am sure they will.

there's nothing wrong with some hack 'n slash every once in awhile.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  04:51:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ahh, Brian, imagine how Ed of the Greenwood feels. He has prose sitting in WotC's hands that won't be published until 2009 (and was handed in back in 2002!).
Of course, he's also late on his current project . . .
love,
THO

What is even worse, is that Ed seems to have prose in WotC's hands that won't be published at all..
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  17:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of novels, 2009 is but one trilogy away. =)

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  05:07:51  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Chapters bookstore lists The Howling Delve as a July 2007 release.

I like July, good month to take books to the beach. ;)

As for plot and character development, I will say that the characters were some of my favorite parts of the Delve, so I hope you enjoy reading about them. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000