Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cyric vs Kelemvor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  19:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Who do you favor in the role of Lord of the Dead? Cyric as he was after the times of Trouble or Kelemvor after the fall of Cyric from the Throne of the Dead.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, as lord of the dead, doesn’t really fit in with the whole idea of being a judge of souls. I mean, I guess he did it for a while, but still...Cyric?

But, on the other hand, I’ve met toast that was more exciting than Kelemvor.

I miss Myrkul (sp?)

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ý would prefer Kelemvor. Cyric was mad and because of that he couldn't control the Dead and fell from the throne of the Dead. Kelemvor would be better.

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  23:25:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Kelemvor because he's stern but fair, and makes death be just another part of life.

Myrkul I didn't like, because he was another "ooh, death is scary!"-type. Can you say "cliché"?

Cyric, as Lord of the Dead, was kinda like that, with some "Heh heh heh, you're mine now!" thrown in.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  00:08:38  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wanted Bhaal to take Myrkul out and steal that role. Bhaal ruled just because his name is cool.

Ok, that was partly a joke. I didn't like any of those characters - but I think Kelemvor is the fairest of all and gives the lowly folk of Faerun less to worry about in the end.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  01:57:51  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like Kelemvor because he's stern but fair, and makes death be just another part of life.

Myrkul I didn't like, because he was another "ooh, death is scary!"-type. Can you say "cliché"?

Cyric, as Lord of the Dead, was kinda like that, with some "Heh heh heh, you're mine now!" thrown in.

I have to agree with Wooly here. Myrkul was a stereotype God of the Dead. Cyric's personality wasn't suited for the position. Kel is the best for it. Even Jergal likes working for him.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  02:17:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Although I do agree with Wooly, Kelemvor isn't represented in my FR.

quote:
Myrkul still holds the portfolios he held before the Time or Troubles in my campaign. However, his nature has been slightly altered. Rather than representing the "Death is so scary" theme, Myrkul has taken a step back, embracing the old mysteries of death and promoting a more "Death is the Great Unknown" theme. He's not the Grim Reaper styled creature he was during the early days of the FR published setting, and has little to no active presence in the Realms -- aside from all death-related matters.

quote:
For a very long time I've held the opinion that Cyric's time as Lord of the Dead was something akin to the classic 60-70's comicbook styled arch-villain. His character and mentality just never seemed to develop past that point. Perhaps, and given more time, Cyric may have evolved to a point where he could effectively represent the Lord of the Dead as something that didn't make DMs roll their eyes every time Cyric appeared in their campaigns.

But, that never happened.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2005 02:18:29
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  11:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much of what you say are excactly what i see as the problem with the new rule of Kelemvor... He is in many ways far better than those before him, but there is one thing that is wrong about him... He is to soft. As i view it, death shouldent be just another part of life. Death should be feared and should make all races strive after staying in the mortal realm for as long as possible... As it is shown in the Avatar books where perople completely stops fearing death and heroes throws their lifes away because they know that Kelemvor is soft and death isnt to be feared when he is the ruler... That isnt, in my ayes, the way to go...

Death should be the ultimate punishment and feared by all... Otherwise, why have it?

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  12:22:08  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. What would I say..
Myrkul vs. Bhaal
+
Kelemvor vs. Cyric 'the Mad'

I'll place my bets for Cyric and Bhaal. I just like their names
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  12:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still prefer Myrkul.

Kelemvor is boring. Jergal should just roll his eyes, yoink back his portfolio and be done with it.

Sure, Myrkul is stereotypical and cliché, but at least the dude had some panache.

Also, because of the very specific aspects of death that Myrkul ruled over, it gave death gods of other races a chance to actually be a god and stuff, rather than just Kelemvor’s secretaries.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  17:32:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Much of what you say are excactly what i see as the problem with the new rule of Kelemvor... He is in many ways far better than those before him, but there is one thing that is wrong about him... He is to soft. As i view it, death shouldent be just another part of life. Death should be feared and should make all races strive after staying in the mortal realm for as long as possible... As it is shown in the Avatar books where perople completely stops fearing death and heroes throws their lifes away because they know that Kelemvor is soft and death isnt to be feared when he is the ruler... That isnt, in my ayes, the way to go...

Death should be the ultimate punishment and feared by all... Otherwise, why have it?

Death can be a part of life and still remain something people try to avoid...

Sure, Kelemvor was soft on heroic deaths in one novel, but he has since changed his ways.

In all truthfulness, I grow weary of people basing their opinions of Kelemvor and Mystra solely on the events of the first part of Crucible and ignoring everything else. No offense, of course, but that seems to be the case here.

Back to my original point, though. Just because people accept death and realize its a part of life, that doesn't mean they're not going to fear it or embrace it. Most people, given the choice, would still rather stick to the mortal plane and would go to great lengths to avoid dying -- even if they know that death is something that comes for all.

Myrkul's attitude wasn't about death -- he was into the fear of death. Kelemvor realizes that, fearful or not, death comes for everyone. He recognizes that people may fear it, but he doesn't try to add to that fear, like Myrkul did. He just tries to make people see that it is inevitable, and he tries to treat his charges fairly. What's wrong with that?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jul 2005 17:38:04
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  20:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not solely using Crucible in my argumentation, only using it to highlight what i think is a problem in the attitude ragarding death... I was very pleased when Kelemvor turned a more objective eye on the many aspects of his rule and put down an agenda which inspired more respect for death without going to the extremes like Cyric did... I think we agree.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  21:09:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason Cyric always reminds me of Loki as presented in the Thor comic books. Go figure. I also rather like Kelemvor, and I think a god of the dead who has to judge the souls of the dead, should be Lawful neutral. Kel may not be exciting, but then, given his portfolio, is he suppose to be? How exciting is Oghma or Silvanus?
Go to Top of Page

Xaean
Acolyte

Austria
8 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  01:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Xaean's Homepage Send Xaean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Kelemvor better because he opposes undead. And a God of Death who takes his role serious should be an enemy of all undeath, as undead cheat death. The question remains, if an ascended mortal should become God of Death at all, as death is a cosmic force that existed before the creation of humankind.

By Moradin's beard!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  02:25:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But at least he has known the touch of death . . . perhaps he better than others to judge mortal souls that have passed on . . .
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  10:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But still Kelemvor still put the faithless on the wall of the faithless in his realm, am I right? I am wondering what he did with the good souls who are also considered faithless, did he pass them on or just hang them up in the wall of the faithless?
Please do correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  10:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is exactly the problem... We are shown some examples in the Trial of Cyric where he gives people of questionable faith a place in his realm and not in the Wall or perhaps with another god more deserving of the soul... Kelemvor is clearly comprimised by his former life as a mortal and his judgment over the dead are clearly coloured by the feelings lingering from his mortal life. He doesnt have the ability to pull away from the individual and look upon the life of the diceased and judge him thereby... This trend is, thank god, altered in the end of the book and Kelemvor regain some respect in my eyes... But his past still lives in the shadow of the present.

Go to Top of Page

Xaean
Acolyte

Austria
8 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  14:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Xaean's Homepage Send Xaean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to this book he also doesn't put the Faithless to the Wall, but into a kind of grey wasteland, where they to have to make the best of their afterlife. I think this better describes the way a lawful neutral god of death would treat those who died without faith.

By Moradin's beard!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  20:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree... I have had a hard time figuring out why the faithless had to be punished with torture for not belonging to any certain Faith...

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  02:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Kelemvor should dismantle the wall of the faithless and put them into the grey wasteland mentioned by Xaean, that should befit a title of a true Lord of the Dead.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  02:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I agree... I have had a hard time figuring out why the faithless had to be punished with torture for not belonging to any certain Faith...

Perhaps it had been Lord Ao's order or some idea of Jergal(the former lord of the dead before Myrkul) or some idea of Myrkul as well? I think the wall of the faithless is to prevent any lost souls who does not belong to any of the deities realms from running amok in the land of the living and causing havoc, hence to maintain order and prevent the living and the dead from mixing with each other, the faithless are all pinned up in the wall of the faithless.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  04:37:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Maybe Kelemvor should dismantle the wall of the faithless and put them into the grey wasteland mentioned by Xaean, that should befit a title of a true Lord of the Dead.

For the Faerunian pantheon, I would suspect.

I hold the view that Kelemvor should *only* judge those mortals who are Faithless or False if they fall under the Faerun pantheon of influence.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jul 2005 04:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:51:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I hold the view that Kelemvor should *only* judge those mortals who are Faithless or False if they fall under the Faerun pantheon of influence.

As do I. It just doesn't make sense for him to have anything to do with people who fall into the purview of other pantheons.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  18:26:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As do I. It just doesn't make sense for him to have anything to do with people who fall into the purview of other pantheons.

As do I but some of you know that already. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  19:35:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

quote:

As do I but some of you know that already. :)

Really? I didn't know that...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000