Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 If WOTC did a "Lost Empires Novel quartet"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Inspired by comments by another scribe

Lets say Wizards of Coast did a 4 book series of novels set in one of the Lost Empires (4 Different Empires) and the novels where set when those empires where stil around.

Which Empire would you like to see and who would you like to see write them?

Jhaamdath: Paul K or Lisa S (I dont think anyone else has written a book with Psionic characters)

Narfell: Bruce Cordell or George K

Unther/Mulhornd: No idea but Id like the story to be set during the Orcgate war

Delzoun: RA Salvatore

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  02:02:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Which Empire would you like to see and who would you like to see write them?

Jhaamdath: Paul K or Lisa S (I dont think anyone else has written a book with Psionic characters)
RAS, with House Oblodra in Siege of Darkness.

quote:
Narfell: Bruce Cordell or George K
Krash definitely . I want to know more about the Demonlands, as well as the last Nentyarch Rheligaun "the Horned".

quote:
Unther/Mulhornd: No idea but Id like the story to be set during the Orcgate war
Mulhorand might prove interesting. I'd like to learn more about Skuld.

quote:
Delzoun: RA Salvatore
If it includes some focus on Gauntlgrym, then yes.

As for my own choice, at the moment, I'd say Telantiwar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  02:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sons of Vyshaan by Elaine Cunningham
The Orcgate Wars by Edward Bolme
The Crown of Narfell by Steven Schend
The Wyrmskull Throne by R.A. Salvatore

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  08:47:41  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

Sons of Vyshaan by Elaine Cunningham
The Orcgate Wars by Edward Bolme
The Crown of Narfell by Steven Schend
The Wyrmskull Throne by R.A. Salvatore

I second this.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  12:29:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll probably be the only scribe to state...I really hope that WOTC does not write a novel focusing on the past. While, depending upon the subject matter/author, I might enjoy some of the series, overall, I'd rather have them focus on the present with all their novel series.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  12:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I'll probably be the only scribe to state...I really hope that WOTC does not write a novel focusing on the past. While, depending upon the subject matter/author, I might enjoy some of the series, overall, I'd rather have them focus on the present with all their novel series.

I'll back you up here. While I might enjoy the novels, I'd much rather see the focus being on current stuff.

The exception to me would be something like Evermeet, but for Halflings or Dwarves.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:33:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I wouldn't mind seeing the past presented like in the Cormyr or Evermeet novels... But other than that, I prefer the novels to be at the least fairly recent, if not outright advancing the timeline.

I used to read the novels for another D&D setting, until I got tired of the fact that only two authors were willing to move the timeline forward, and everyone else kept finding more stuff in the past to write about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:51:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael
The exception to me would be something like Evermeet, but for Halflings or Dwarves.

I can understand everyone having a preference. There are areas of the past I wouldn't mind reading about. But, I know a quartet or series would not focus on many areas that I find of interest. In fact my overall level of interest would be even lower than some of the class series' novels.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  00:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to say I disagree I really dont want every author "Advancing the Timeline" I think WOTC are pushing it even now with the 2 Richs forcing the timline forward 2 years ie RLB Year of Rogue Dragon and RB Year of Risen of Elfkin Trilogies.

Ideally these books would be published togther in a big Evermeet/Cormyr length book

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  01:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something about Imaskar, with Richard Baker as the author.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  01:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't necessarily like every author pushing the timeline forward, though without getting into a 'What's the current date in the Realms?' debate, it doesn't matter *that* much.
But I also don't think there's as much of a market, or at least Wizards don't perceive there's as much of one, for novels set well in the past. If there was, I would think that more would have been attempted.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000