Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Southern Border Tower
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  15:55:25  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks!

Any ideas, suggestion, or comments to the following? I am working on a place that I call Stone Gate.

This place might change location, or name. All depending on my decision to follow the work of the Daggerdale Project and the work of the Northern Realms Project Group.

quote:

The Southern Border Tower
Daggerdale, the 21st of Marpenoth of the Year of the Unstrung Harp -- 21st of October 1371 DR.

West of Anathar's Dell, there is a tower without entrance. The current knowledge, of the common folk of the Dale, about this site is better described by the following entry, in the journal of Glaenal from Anathar's Dell.

When I was a young boy, I asked my father about the tower. He said, that he did not know much about it, that the tower had always been there, and that nobody claimed it. He also said that the tower was too close to goblin and orc lands, and that we should never travell to it. That was all.

In the Year of the Tankard (1370 DR), when I was sixten years old, my friends and I, decided to take a look at the tower. The tower is located six miles west-north-west of Anathar's Dell. It took us two, three hours to reach the tower. It did not look like a tower to me, it was more like one of those temples built by Cormyrian priests of Helm. The tower was not so high either, only 70 feets. I remember that I had always tought that it was several hundred feets high. But, it was not the tower that took my attention, but the gate in the bluff. One hundred feet from the tower, there was stone gate in the mountain. And a stair lead up to gate. When we were going to explore the gate, a voice called us.

"You should not be here", the voice said. We turned around, and saw a man standing close to a tree and some bushes. He was not tall, but not short either. He was armed with a short bow, and I remember that I tought that he was gooing to kill us. "Orcs have been here, less than a day ago.", he continued. The stranger had also a longsword and his traveling outfit was green and gray. "Besides, a strange creature has taken the tower as residence.", he added. The stranger had black long hair and beard, as the northen folks. But, he did not sound like a foreigner. "You better go home, we will walk you home.", he said and started to go. We were startled, I remember, and, then there were sudently four of them. And yes, we did as they said. They took us home. That was my last trip to the tower.

Now, a human does not live so long, and maybe dwarves and elfes have something else to tell. but then, you should better ask yourself.

Link to the above text in my homepage:

http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/realmslore/regions/dalelands/daggerdale/other_sites.htm

Best regards,
Manuel

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Edited by - webmanus on 03 Aug 2005 22:27:21

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, webmanus

This would fit nicely into my Daggerdale campaign too Are the Zhentarim aware of this tower? Other than the first-person account of the location, can you reveal anything else as to it's history?

What is this Stone Gate you're working on? Is this also set in Daggerdale?

(Edit: Oh, there's a typo on the penultimate paragraph which reads "saw a man standing close to a three and some bushes", which I guess should be "tree")

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 31 Jul 2005 19:25:39
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  20:15:54  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lord Rad,

The Southern Border Tower and Stone Gate are both set in Daggerdale, c 6 - 8 miles west from Anathar's Dell. The existance of the tower should be no big secret. The tower should be visible up to c 10 miles from the Tethaymar trail. And, the tower is located in a area of hills close to the Desertmouth Mountains. The tower and gate are part of my adventure, that I am working with, that is named ... ehem ... Orcs and Demons II.

I am far from ready, but, I will mail you my current notes ...

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

/Manuel the Webmanus

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  21:55:07  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

I have updated my notes regarding the Southern Border Tower's history. If interested, send me a mail and I will mail you the history of this tower ... and other stuff associated with the tower and the area. I might behave a bit paranoid right now ... but, this is hot hot info that my players should not come by, at least now.

Best regards,
webmanus

Edited by - webmanus on 03 Aug 2005 22:22:03
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

Hi Lord Rad,

The Southern Border Tower and Stone Gate are both set in Daggerdale, c 6 - 8 miles west from Anathar's Dell. The existance of the tower should be no big secret. The tower should be visible up to c 10 miles from the Tethaymar trail. And, the tower is located in a area of hills close to the Desertmouth Mountains. The tower and gate are part of my adventure, that I am working with, that is named ... ehem ... Orcs and Demons II.

I am far from ready, but, I will mail you my current notes ...

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

/Manuel the Webmanus

Thanks for the emails, Webmanus. I'm very interested in your developments and, with permission, would like to use some of this in my campaign also.

I might be worth you posting the emails you sent here as well for everyone

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  22:25:47  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, go ahed and use it. I will, at the moment, personaly mail folks who are interested with the information. Later, when I am finish, and my party has played the adventure, I will post "all" details here, and make them available in my homepage. At least, that is plan A. I have no backup plan, though :)

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  11:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds cool Webmanus... I have mailed you and i would very much like to read your adventure...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  22:08:27  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faramicos, I did send you some details about the Southern Border Tower. Please note that the adventure is far from ready, and I am working with details around the adventure.

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  21:04:20  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time goes too fast ... Still, I have returned to the Southern Tower and started to work with the DCs for different Knowledge skills. Any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  21:25:25  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I dot not provide here the actual answer, I do give a hint about what somebody might know about this place with Knowledge (history Dalelands):
quote:
Basic Information (DC 10)
A haunted place ... actually, I am not sure to what add here ... I have to think a minute or two ... Hmmm ... I think that I could add a bit or two of "modern" history ... For example, what might have occured around this site for the last 100 years.

Uncommon but Basic Information (DC 15)
Who inhabited (Daggerdalesmen, dwarves, elves, and so on) this place and when in time. For example, 700 DR - 800 DR. How did the inhabitants interact with their neighbors.

Uncommon, Obscure Knowledge (DC 20)
More details about who build this place, for example, where they did come from. Also, more details about the place, what it was used for, and the original name of this place.

Rare Information (DC 25)
The exact year for when the construction of the place started and when it was finalized. Full name details of the place's owner. Something about the fate of the place, for example, what happened. Were the inhabitants killed, did they leave, etc. And, when in time (not exact year) it did happen, for example, 1100 DR.

Extremely Obscure Information (DC 30)
The real fate of this place. Exact year. Stories that should been kept secret are revelead.
Comments?

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  22:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met once again, Webmanus!

Very nice work - I might also use this location in my campaigns, with your permission, of course

How about calling the tower Watchgate? The name just popped up in my mind, as I read your description of the place...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2005 :  06:31:49  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Asgetrion!

I will send you some details about this site. Go ahead and use it if you like.

Watchgate ... hmmm ... yes, Watchgate and Stonegate ... I think that I will take it ...

/Web

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  18:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for e-mailing those very well written descriptions to me

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  20:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Webmanus

If you donīt mind it, I want to take a look at your work, too. My campaign is in the begginings, and I need to a good place to serve as "home" for the players... Daggerdale in the Dales and Eveningstar in Cormyr are my two bets, until now... ;)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  20:39:50  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Chosen of Moradin,

I have mailed you with the most recent notes I have about Stone Gate and Watch Gate (thanks again Asgetrion). Please note that I am working on all this, and that I am far from ready. But, go ahead an use what you want. When I am ready, and have used this place in my campaign, I will then publish all details in my home page and here in Candlekeep. At least that is plan A.

You might have seen my others posts, those about Daggerdale. You can also visit my homepage. Some parts are in Swedish, others in English. Maybe, you get one idea or two.

Best regards,
Webmanus

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  09:31:00  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dwarven Hold of Stone Gates
Many hundred years ago, dwarves from the Vanguard clan of Tethyamar, opened a new mine in the Desertsmouth Mountains.

The History of the Dwarven Hold of Stone Gates
With the fall of the Twisted Tower of Ashaba in the Year of the Firedrake (713 DR) and Myth Drannor in the Year of the Doom (714 DR), the king of Tethyamar ordered the construction of an outpost in southern Daggerdale. The clan chieftan of the declining Tethyamaran clan Vanguard, Arn "the Orcslayer" Vanguard, son of Buin, blood of Immar, of Vanguard Hall of Tethyamar, was assigned the task and he sent an expedition of c. 20 dwarves to explore the south eastern parts of the Desertsmouth Mountains.

The expedition was led by Obryn "the Builder" Vanguard, son of Dhur, blood of Tellin, of Vanguard Hall of Tethyamar. Although not a member of the clan's ruling family, the Vanguard House, Obryn was a highly respected dwarf and head of the Tellin family. In the Year of the Dawn Rose (720 DR), Obryn and his dwarves found a suitable place for a new hold west of today's Anathars Dell, and started to build a new home for the clan.

The dwarven hold of Tor-Runedar (Hill Home, see section Dwarvish Words in Dwarves Deep, page 12), later called Stone Gate by the Daggerdalesmen, was finalized in the Year of the Dying Dwarf (750 DR) and had a population of c. 300 dwarves. In the Year of the Spouting Fish (922 DR), the mines of the hold were flooded and water elementals invaded the hold. The dwarves could not fight back the water elementals and had finally to abandoned the hold. The dwarves sealed the gates and returned in secret to Tethyamar.

Knowledge about the Dwarven Hold of Stone Gates
Knowledge (History Dalelands)

DC 5 Very basic information. -

DC 10 Basic information. -

DC 15 Uncommon but basic information. Stone Gate was a dwarven hold that was inhabited between 800 DR and 900 DR and was located somewhere in southern Daggerdale. The dwarves of Stone Gate helped the Daggerdalesfolk of southern Daggerdale in their war with the drows from the Land Under Shadow.

DC 20 Uncommon, obscure knowledge. The dwarves who built Stone Gate were members of the Tethyamaran clan Vanguard. They named their hold Tor-Runedar, which meens Hill Home. The hold, which consisted of a mines and living spaces deep below the surface and a tower (later called Watch Gate) upon a hill, came to be called Stone Gate by the Daggerdalesmen.

DC 25 Rare information. The dwarves started the construction of their hold and tower 720 DR. The hold with its tower was finalized 750 DR. The hold's chieftan was Obryn "the Builder" Vanguard, son of Dhur, blood of Tellin, of Vanguard Hall of Tethyamar. The hold was abandoned or sealed c 900 DR.

DC 30 Extremely obscure information. The hold was attacked by water elementals and flooded. The dwarves abandoned in secret the hold 922 DR and returned to Tethyamar.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000