Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elven Witch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  22:27:14  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Whooop!

I am playing with the idea of running a new campaign based on the events follwoing Evermeet: Island of the Elves; The Return of the Archwizards, concerning Evereska; and all information concerning Cormanthyr and the Retreat of the Elves.
(I have yet to read the Last Mythal and have not finished reading book I of the Archwizards)

One of my players would like to create an elven witch character. I will use the Witch's handbook (d20) and the Quintessential Witch to create the character.

What do you, my fellow scribes, think of how this character might fit in to the Realm of the Elves, knowing they are rather rare and uncommon.....?

I thank thee

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  23:02:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some information about the Witch class for those of us that don't own that tome could be useful...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  23:11:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9214.phtml

A review that offers an overview of both.

quote:

..................Witch vs. Witch

................ Green Ronin Witch Mongoose Witch
Base Attack Bonus..... Poor .........Poor
Hit Dice ..............d4 ...........d6
Skill Points ..........4 ............2
Spellcaster is like ...Sorcerer .....Wizard
Stat used for Magic ...Wisdom .......Charisma

Tried to refomat table of summery, Oh they also only appear to have one good save, work with herbs, more of course at URL.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  23:16:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it might be difficult to play a witch on the Isle of Evermeet due to the strictures they place on the arcane spellcasters. Usually the training is very formal and most elves generally comply with that.

However, if it is in the mainland - the witch class would work well with Wild or Wood elves, methinks!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  00:00:35  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review of the 2 books Kentinal. I was about to put a summary of the 2 books myself, but this saved me hells of work.

CrennenFaerieBane:
Isn't witchcraft, as it is a use of "magic" that is natural, not cheered upon by the elves. Furthermore, is this human witchcraft as we know it, not very close to the nature of the magic of Elves, which is similar in it's ties to nature?

Perhaps this human class of witchcraft is some sort of way the humans try to copy or resemble the filosofy and magic of the elves?
When I read the books, I saw a connection in the way witches and elves connect to nature.

If this could be true, then a wi'tch among elves should not be very uncommon, even among the strict values of Evermeet. I agree that a Wild Elf subrace would be favuerable.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  00:41:35  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dungeon Moron
If this could be true, then a wi'tch among elves should not be very uncommon, even among the strict values of Evermeet. I agree that a Wild Elf subrace would be favuerable.

I could see a Wild Elf on Evermeet, not caring for the Formal Training that is typical of those on Evermeet.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  01:31:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well on Evermeet (in 2nd) there were:

Barbarian/Berserker Priest
Herbalist
Pacifist Priest
Prophet Priest
Svavage Priest
Skinwalker
Totem-Sister

With a list like that and some might already be called witches as it is, it does not appear to me that 3.x witches could certainly be on the Island.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  01:59:37  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True - I just said that if there were any allowed to practice undisciplined Arcane magic, it would most likely be the wild elves, as they are generally left to do their own thing.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  02:06:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbarian/Berserker Priest -most often green
Herbalist - most are Green
Pacifist Priest - Many elves, no subrace specified
Prophet Priest - rare in occurance, but most are Gold
Svavage Priest - especially of primitive Green Priests
Skinwalker - Some Green priests
Totem-Sister - a handful of Silver

So yes many are Green but Gold and Silver also pratice "dark" arts *Grin*

Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  09:37:00  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whooop!

A question popped into my head thinking about this and other topics.

How far are you, my fellow scribes, willing to follow the canon rules and realmslore that is given to us by TSR/WOTC and alle authors/designers.

Are there any DM's who adjust some or part of the Realms to there own campaign or do you strictly follow what all given rules and lore.

I for one, try to be creative and look at the realmslore and how it can fit into my campaign (or vice versa). If that means to introduce some new facts or events, without destroying the big picture, I will try and do that.

I think every DM has to figure this out for himself, but I was just wondering this thought.

Thanks for the help on the Witches, by the way. It helped me a great deal to incorporate them in my coming campaign
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  14:13:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one use only as much as I want at a current moment. I don't use the pandemic problems the return of Shade caused. I haven't really decided about the march of Seiveril against Sarya. And the Time of Troubles is in, though I do love Bhaal.

Anyway, there is also a thread/poll on this board that asked the exact same question. You can find it here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5147

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  14:36:49  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, that's just what I meant

Edited by - Dungeon Moron on 29 Oct 2005 14:40:21
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  14:39:01  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whooop,

Antoher question popped up while I was drawing the outlines of my campaign.

I have not aquired the Unapproachable East with Thay, Aglarond and Rashemen, but my question is for those that do :

Is there some specific lore about the Witches of Rashemen I could use for an Elven Witch? Is it worth buying the source book for?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  15:27:01  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be able to adjust the Prestige Class to an Elven based class. What you might also want to do is use the Sorcerer class for the witches. It could add mystique as most Arcane spellcasters on Evermeet are definitely Wizards.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000