Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Doom of Daggerdale 2005
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  00:43:03  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks!

After searching for bits of information here and there ... I guess that the adventure Doom of Daggerdale is set 1366 DR. Erskine Fincher did set the adventure to year 1368 DR.

Why 1366 DR? OK, here, I shoot:

- The ADD accessory "The Moonsea" was printed 1995 and the current year was 1367 DR. Doom of Daggerdale was printed 1993, and the current year should then have been something prior to 1367 DR. Yes, I agree, this might sound silly.

- Twice it is mentioned that Dalesmen had have problem for fifty years (if not more). In Doom of Daggerdale, page 2, it is stated "For more than fifty years, Daggerdale has been battling to survive against hostile raiders, bandits, and monsters". And, in page 8, it is stated "Randal Morn is the rightful ruler of Daggerdale, though his title was wrested by the Zhentarim 50 years ago" and "After the fall of Teshendale Randal Rules three-quarters of the Dale's countryside". OK, this might not make too much sense, as, we know that Randal lost Daggerdale 1336 DR. But, maybe, if you consider that, back in 1993, Teshendale was part of Daggerdale, or something like that ... then that might make sence. Still, the figure of 50 seems to be very importanr. And, year 1316 DR, Teshendale was overruned by the Zhentilar/Zhentarim/Zhentish orcs. After conquering Teshendale, forces might have moved to Daggerdale and started to fight there; not conquering Daggerdale, but, making life difficult for the Daggerdalesmen. And, 1316 + 50 = 1366.

- Eight years ago, the priestess Eragyn the Dark (she who is presented as a priestess of Cyric) started her Colderan-resurection-plan. She cast raise dead, failed, and had to wait eight years for a resurrection spell. Eight years sound very close to the Time of Troubles. 1366 - 8 = 1358, that is, the Year of Shadows = The Time of Troubles. She could have been a Bane priestess at that time ... and later converted to Cyric. Her Alignment is NE.

Kill me :)

There are a lot of pieces that seems wrong in that adventure, with regard to modern realmslore, and, I am too tyred to point it out this night.

Maybe the Hooded One could add some information ... I dot not dare ask Ed Greenwood ... I assume that I have already consumed my yearly quota of posts in his thread ...

Best regards,
Manuel

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  01:58:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, there, webmanus. Check Ed's thread: he recently answered a question about Randal Morn and Daggerdale. Not much dating in it, but it should help you.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  02:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the research webmanus. 1366 DR sounds good to me.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  07:37:42  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hooded One.

I Have read Ed's update on Randal Morn. I liked it a lot. But, there were no dates, as you pointed out. Links below to Questions for Ed Greenwood, page 43, 44, and 45 (a total of six questions):

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=43
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=44
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=45

I have asked myself for dates ... I hope that I can receive an answer ...

Best regards,
webmanus (Manuel)

Edited by - webmanus on 03 Aug 2005 07:50:14
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  09:50:54  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new day, and a cup of coffee later ...

There are many posts about the dwarven clan Brightblade. But, I find it appropiate to write some notes here.

I guess (today), based on what I have read, that the Brighblade dwarves were a Tethyamar clan. And, by that, I do not mean that they necessary lived in Tethyamar, but that they recognised the authority of the Iron House and viewed the king of Tethyamar as their own king. One could guess, that the clan was very small ... consisting of only one or some few families. If Eagle's Eyrie were their only home, then, they did not have much space.

Today we have more realmslore on matters such as the Kingdom of Tethyamar from, for example, Lost Empires of Faerūn. And, I would like to comment what possible happened back the in 1266 DR; the year on which I believe the event, of Colderon Morn exiling the dwarves of clan Brightblade/Bladebright from Daggerdale, took place.
In 1266 DR, the Mines of Tethyamar had been abandoned for 162 years (Lost Empires of Faerūn, page 135, states that the mines were abandoned 1104 DR). One of the Tethyamar clans that still stayed in the area (Dagger Falls) was the small Brightblade clan, who manned the small outpost of Eagle's Eyrie.
The dwarves had crafted a masterpiece jewel for their king, the king of Tethyamar, the dwarven king in exile in the human kingdom of Cormyr. When threatened by Colderan Morn, the dwarves (the chieftan Dorn and the priest Elshar) sent their families to their kin (to the "remote" kingdom of Cormyr, to stay with the king of Tethyamar). If the kingdom of Tethyamar would still exist around 1266 DR, then, Colderon Morn might not have been so aggressive (bold), maybe, afraid or retribution from the dwarves. But, the dwarves had since long lost their power in the region, and Tethyamar had been abandoned since 1104 DR.
The families of the chieftan Dorn and the priest Elshar travelled south (and not north) and came to the place that is called today Anathar's Dell. Maybe, by crossing Dagger River, they had crossed the border of the Dale, they had come out of Daggerdale. And, there they stayed, in vain waiting for the chieftan. Time passed, and the dwarves of the mini tiny clan of Brightblade made a new home there.
Hundred years later, 1366 DR, nine dwarves, the sons (and daughters?) of chieftan Dorn and his wife Miira, and the sons (and daughters?) of priest Elshar, returned to Dagger Falls and Eagle's Eyrie to recover a cache of iron (500 pounds of rusty scrap, worth 80 gp - 160 gp back in 1366 DR).

Doom of Daggerdale (1993)
Page 1, Subplots in Daggerdale
"7 Bladebright Dwarves. These dwarves are returning to recover the cache of iron their fathers left at Eagle's Eyrie. ...""
"Dwarves (9): Int Average; AL LG ..."

Page 19, The Eagle's Eyrie, Room 10. Altar of the Last Stand
"The dwarven skeletons are the remains of the chief priest and the clan leader of the Bladebright dwarves who once lived here."

Page 19, The Eagle's Eyrie, Room 10. Altar of the Last Stand
"Sending their kinsfolk to the halls of their cousins in the Mines of Tethyamar, Elshar Kurl, the priest, and Dorn the Grim, the chieftain, remained behind to buy time for their clan, knowing that they would probably die."

Page 32, Handout 2
"The Bladebright dwarves had just finished crafting a masterpiece for their king under the mountain, ...".

Thats all ...

Edited by - webmanus on 03 Aug 2005 09:52:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000