Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help -- Adepts of Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:21:06  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks,

Do the church of Deneir, Helm, Kelemvor, Lathander, or Oghma have Adepts? I do not have the Faiths and Pantheons book, and I assume that such information can be found there ...

Best regards,
webmanus

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:26:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chuch that has Clerics will have Adepts (which after all are not good enough or willing to become a Cleric). AFAIK the Paladin is only class that is restircted as to which deities permit them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:38:17  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kentinal! Always riding to my help, thanks!

I was browsing through my copy of City of Splendors: Waterdeep (COSW), and found that only the curch of Umberlee has Adepts as Associated Classes. I Assume that Waterdeep is very civilized, advanced, and Adepts just do not belong there ... except in the church of Umberlee.

But, the Western Heartlands must be something else ... specially around Scornubel ... Actually, I am working on an NPC Adept from Scornubel's vicinity. And, I am searching for a suitable deity.

Edited by - webmanus on 06 Aug 2005 19:40:06
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see Adepts more like a mechanical tool for DMs to portray npc spellcasters rather something folks in the setting know and talk about. So, yes, I think all gods sponsor adepts.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:50:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would picture adepts as somewhere between a full on cleric and a favored soul, someone that has had some training in formal rituals, but has also felt a more primal calling to their vocation. Of couse, I also think that most of the postulants at a large temple are also experts with no spellcasting ablities either.

In fact, that puts me in mind of this . . . as priests (ordained) but not clerics (recieving divine magic) I would also allow these experts to do certain matters of faith, but only within holy ground. Nothing major, but for example, they should be able to consecrate a dead body that is brought to them, or to bless holy symbols and holy water.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 06 Aug 2005 19:52:04
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Snotlord,

Yes, I would also present, for example, a female Adept NPC as a wise woman. However, I am curious to know what is stated in the Faiths and Pantheons book. I have ordered a copy, but, I will take quite along time to arrive ...

For comparation, AD&D Faiths & Avatars is very detailed and listed the church's clergy.

/webmanus

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  09:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faiths and Pantheon do not have that many mentions of adepts. I have flipped through it very briefly now, and found no mentions of adepts under Helm and one on page 150 under one of the orc gods. (There are probably more.)

This suggests that your assumptions on civilization are correct, but no confirmation as far as I can see.
You'll see when you get F&P that the Waterdeep book is more specific and Faiths and Pantheons in terms of how many followers and their classes when explaining clergy.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  10:15:43  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Snotlord. I have started to work on my NPC, Larissa (NG female Tethyrian human Adp12 of Lathander, 26 years). I will see how far my imagination takes me with this, maybe unusual, character. Level 12 ... yeah ... we will see ...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000