Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Casting OUT of a Prismatic Sphere
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  22:11:55  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

I noticed this as an OLD topic in another forum and wanted to bring it up here. How many DM's allow their mages to cast OUT of their own prismatic sphere's? Back in 2E I asked Skip Williams this in an e-mail and he said the answer was that a mage can no more cast OUT of his sphere than someone can cast INTO the sphere. I agree very strongly with this as it preserves game balance. As far as I am concerned, in my campaign, this is the correct answer.

How do you guys feel about this?

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  22:25:15  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, one cannot cast out of a prismatic sphere.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  22:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
step in and out of the sphere when ever they want to yes...
Cast out... NO!

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  06:15:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Cast out... NO!

Agreed.

Still like the look on my DMs face when in an Epic game my Drow Cleric walked through the Prismatic Sphere his NPC had cast to keep the party away from him.
And I agreed with his call that the wizard had to present his list of prepared spells for taking down the sphere.
The party didn't have the right spells to do so.
And while the rest of the party was debating how to get past the sphere, I told the DM I was gonna walk through it, only got hit by two bands, and only one of the had affected me.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  12:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Cast out... NO!

Perfect!

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  12:55:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 says " You can pass into and out of the prismatic sphere and remain near it without harm. However, when you’re inside it, the sphere blocks any attempt to project something through the sphere (including spells)." in reference of cotse to one cat by you.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:22:18  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

3.5 says " You can pass into and out of the prismatic sphere and remain near it without harm. However, when you’re inside it, the sphere blocks any attempt to project something through the sphere (including spells)." in reference of cotse to one cat by you.

Excuse my asking, What is it that so peculiar about prismatic spheres that makes it so resistant to spells and this and that?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:38:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a series of magical walls that block various effects.

Red - Stops nonmagical ranged weapons.
Orange - Stops magical ranged weapons.
Yellow - Stops poisons, gases, and petrification.
Green - Stops breath weapons.
Blue - Stops divination and mental attacks.
Indigo - Stops all spells.
Violet - Energy field destroys all objects and effects.(1)

One can try to walk though the sphere (or wall) where each color tries to do some effect. If making saves for first three colors one takes only 70 hit points of damage (140 if all three Reflex saves are failed). 4th color save vs. poison or die. 5th color save vs. turned to stone. 6th save vs. unsanity. 7th color save vs. being shifted to another plane. It is a powerful shield.
There are spells cast in a certain order that can take out the sphere (or wall).

1. The violet effect makes the special effects of the other six colors redundant, but these six effects are included here because certain magic items can create prismatic effects one color at a time, and spell resistance might render some colors ineffective.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The strength of the sphere is its ability to resist magic... From both sides. Both in and out of the sphere...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Lord of the Undead
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord of the Undead's Homepage Send Lord of the Undead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surely that even it is well known that the prismatic sphere is resistant to magic, but unlikely to be immuneor completely resistant to magic, can a full force of magic assault (enough to rock Faerun) break through resistances of the prismatic sphere?

The dead do not rest easily, for they do have useful uses at times...for a master necromancer.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, no. Absolutly NOTHING (barring the proscribed series of spells) can break through a prismatic sphere/wall.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:25:53  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Unfortunately, no. Absolutly NOTHING (barring the proscribed series of spells) can break through a prismatic sphere/wall.

So you mean that even the magical equivalent of a nuclear blast can`t break through?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure of that? My view on things and magic in particular is that the beauty and challenge of wielding great magic is that there is always something to couter your moves... Dont you think that there is some way (i dont know how) that you can break through a Prismatic Sphere.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:49:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAW there is either the series of 7 spells cast in the correct order or "A rod of cancellation or a mage’s disjunction spell destroys a prismatic wall, but an antimagic field fails to penetrate it. Dispel magic and greater dispel magic cannot dispel the wall or anything beyond it."

So there are three ways to take it down.

A nuclear blast would be stoped by Violet any effects not stopped by Yellow or Green.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:51:37  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

RAW there is either the series of 7 spells cast in the correct order or "A rod of cancellation or a mage’s disjunction spell destroys a prismatic wall, but an antimagic field fails to penetrate it. Dispel magic and greater dispel magic cannot dispel the wall or anything beyond it."

A nuclear blast would be stoped by Violet any effects not stopped by Yellow or Green.

What level IS that spell?! It is really powerful!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:59:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

"Level: Protection 9, Sor/Wiz 9, Sun 9"

Edited by - Kentinal on 10 Aug 2005 16:01:35
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:21:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

"Level: Protection 9, Sor/Wiz 9, Sun 9"

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I seem to recall something in the Deity and Demigod's book about a ray attack that instantly takes down the entire prismatic sphere. But hey, to use the spell you have to be a god.

I don't have my books handy, anyone remember what I'm talking about?
Am I remembering correctly?

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:08:59  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several other spells that breech prismatic sphere. These are in addition to Disjunction and a Rod of Cancelation.
1: Eye of Mystra. 2E spell.
2: Pierce Any Shield. 2E spell.
3: There are also certain types of gemstones I do belive it is that will go RIGHT through the sphere without any damage.

I would also suspect there were other spells created by mages in Faerun that would go through it. I'm sure Ed Greenwood for instance can list several.

Do Silverfire and Spellfire go through it? I think it's a "Wall of Force" that blocks spellfire isin't it?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:12:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So even Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke would be stopped by it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RAKKIR

Do Silverfire and Spellfire go through it? I think it's a "Wall of Force" that blocks spellfire isin't it?

As I recall, in the novel, Shandril used spellfire to destroy a prismatic sphere. 'Twas while she was still working with Elminster, testing her limits and abilities.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  17:58:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

So even Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke would be stopped by it.

Does anyone know why bigby was so occupied by hands?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  23:16:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thing, from the Addams Family, once saved his life.

Truly, I've wondered the same thing myself... I have noted that some spellcasters tend to have a theme. They create one spell, and then, as they progress in power, they keep tinkering with it and make more powerful variations of it. So it could be that he made one spell, liked it, and decided to see what else he could do with it...

Besides, I'd imagine it's easier to craft spells if you stick with a theme. That means part of the spell would remain the same each time, allowing you to focus on the other parts.

Of course, Bigby might have really had a fixation on hands... He's a Greyhawk character, though, so you'd likely be better off asking on a Greyhawk forum.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  00:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thing, from the Addams Family, once saved his life.

Truly, I've wondered the same thing myself... I have noted that some spellcasters tend to have a theme. They create one spell, and then, as they progress in power, they keep tinkering with it and make more powerful variations of it. So it could be that he made one spell, liked it, and decided to see what else he could do with it...

Besides, I'd imagine it's easier to craft spells if you stick with a theme. That means part of the spell would remain the same each time, allowing you to focus on the other parts.

Of course, Bigby might have really had a fixation on hands... He's a Greyhawk character, though, so you'd likely be better off asking on a Greyhawk forum.

Then why does Tenser have the transformation but also the floating disc?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  00:53:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Then why does Tenser have the transformation but also the floating disc?

Note the word "some" in my post.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  01:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In psychological terms, Bigby has a hand fixation, and Tenser suffers from Fighter-envy.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  01:29:52  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In psychological terms, Bigby has a hand fixation, and Tenser suffers from Fighter-envy.

Think it was because the girls didn't like Bigby?
And perhaps Tenser was just jealous of the size of their swords?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  01:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as Sigmund Freud once put it, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Then again, sometimes a kid-leather glove isn't just a kid-leather glove!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  02:23:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway... Returning to the topic of spellcasting and prismatic spheres...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Aug 2005 02:23:57
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2005 :  02:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AND the mob of rabid moderating hamsters appears on the horizon!

Go to Top of Page

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  00:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the topic of Silverfire, yes it could pierce a prismatic wall/shell as the FRCS states that it pierces any magical barrier automatically.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000