Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 New to FR RPGs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  16:34:04  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Im new to the Forgotten Realms RPGs. What books should I get to start out?

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  17:22:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Player's Guide to Faerūn. Races of Faerūn is plenty useful too.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  02:39:50  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you might want to pick up Player's Guide to Faerun as well, if you are playing 3.5E. Every else just will add to your knowledge and you should pick them up as you need them.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  07:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are playing, FRCS and PGtF are good ones definately. If you are DM'ing, you might want to pick up the Monster Compendum:Monsters of Faerun, and one of the region books if you are running in a specific area.

PS....Please forgive any mispellings, I should have gone to bed 2 hours ago

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  07:52:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also there be a trove of lore among the 2E stuff that WotC has available as free downloads here: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  09:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Player's Guide to Faerūn is mostly rules updates, and it's only a good buy if you're playing 3.5E strictly and rigidly, otherwise it's one of the weakest of the new sourcebooks.

Getting the FRCS first will let you find out what you're interested in looking into further.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:16:11  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats alot of books lol. Ill pick those up probably when I have the money. Thank yall.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Mazrak Stonefist
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  08:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Mazrak Stonefist's Homepage Send Mazrak Stonefist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this will sound very stupid, but are these RPG's actually games or are they like Role Play thing where you act as someone else. (i feel like such a fool)

Fight till hell freezes over
Then fight on the ice
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  11:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrak Stonefist

this will sound very stupid, but are these RPG's actually games or are they like Role Play thing where you act as someone else. (i feel like such a fool)

No; it's a fair question.

And the answer is --- both. The players act out characters participating in a storyline(role-playing), and there are rules used to determine the success of various actions(game). This is a really, really simplistic explanation of it-the game part is a lot more complex in implementation than what I've outlined.

If you've played Baldur's Gate or another of the D&D computer games, you'll have a fair idea of what it's like.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  15:22:41  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to otherwise clear some issues up - it is generally not live action, meaning you are not physically running around as your character. You are in control and describe what your character is doing as your dungeon master describes everything in the world around you that you can interact with.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  02:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you would know all about live action ;)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  04:06:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

And you would know all about live action ;)

Live Action is overrated, and it is HARD being an NPC at the whim of the Plot Master.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  14:51:37  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, she is just picking on me since I used to run LARP games for White Wolf studios when I worked for them as a convention rep. And, Warlockco, you're right - they are definitely overrated.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000