Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On Arabel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  00:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings fellow Sages,

Currently I am constructing a little realmslore (by little, I want it to be everything you could possibly want to know) on the city of Arabel. Now I've been able to do this for smaller Cormyrian cities such as Eveningstar and Dhedluk since they are small, and in the grand scheme of things, are, lore-wise, less of a grand-scale project. But before I innovate some non-canon information, I'd like to here some canon info first. So far my resources are the FRCS, and the article it has on this city. Otherwise, I was wondering if any of you, my superiors ^takes a bow^ would know a thing or three about this city. Some background information would be nice before I undergo my...how does one put it...Investigation. And why would a gnome such as myself would be so interested in mapping the realms? Well, to tell that would be down right unprofessional of me.

Thank you in advance my fellow sages for your lore, and know that I do appreciate it. Even if it turns out to be "there is nothing else on Arabel" (which I sincerely doubt).

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  00:26:04  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Cormyr is on the Wiz site under downloads, I believe. I has a small section on Arbel and the rest of the Country including the small towns.

The 2ed Box set had a map of that City and the Immersea, plus Suzil I think.

Does that help?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  00:37:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old 2E hardcover "Forgotten Realms Adventures" had a detailed write-up of the city.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  00:57:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Volo's Guide to Cormyr is on the Wiz site under downloads, I believe. I has a small section on Arbel and the rest of the Country

You are correct. Volo's Guide to Cormyr can be found on the WotC downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  01:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.

Ok, now I feel like a fool. Some of the Material I wrote for Dhedluk and Eveningstar in the Traveler's Notebook is different from Volo's guide (not to mention, Eveningstar already has its own map). Now by all means, a lot changes in the time between the present day in the realms and the time of Azoun the fifth. But damn, 2e had a huge amount of information. I kind of feel like a mouse climbing up the leg of a tiger.

Now I simply ask myself: do I continue, and would alaundo mind if I made some changes to my original material.

"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."

Edited by - Sir Luther Cromwell on 15 Sep 2005 01:08:17
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  01:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thank you everyone for your help. I honestly didn't know that there were already detailed guides about all the different places in Cormyr. I kind of feel like my other stuff is now irrelavent.

But either way, good day to ye all.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  03:37:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not irrelevant at all. Just make your material enhance and be true to the pre-existing stuff. Arabel hasn't been detailed to the point where fans and DMs have no leg room - especially given the changes wrought by the Devil Dragon: Arabel was occupied by the goblins for a while before they were dislodged. Keep creating, but pay due to what has gone before.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  18:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No, not irrelevant at all. Just make your material enhance and be true to the pre-existing stuff. Arabel hasn't been detailed to the point where fans and DMs have no leg room - especially given the changes wrought by the Devil Dragon: Arabel was occupied by the goblins for a while before they were dislodged. Keep creating, but pay due to what has gone before.

-- George Krashos

And to underscore what George says above, consider that everything you wrote and TSR wrote is correct. Then figure out a way for that to happen. And yes, the changes wrought by the dragon attack leaves you lots of wiggle room to adjust to fit.

And now you're finding out one of my favorite tasks I once had as the Realms traffic cop--Asking "How can ALL OF IT be right?" and then making it so....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  03:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
And to underscore what George says above, consider that everything you wrote and TSR wrote is correct. Then figure out a way for that to happen. And yes, the changes wrought by the dragon attack leaves you lots of wiggle room to adjust to fit.

And now you're finding out one of my favorite tasks I once had as the Realms traffic cop--Asking "How can ALL OF IT be right?" and then making it so....

Good points, and thank you for the reassurance. I'm pretty sure I was just intimidated more than anything. But then again, the gap between 3e and 2e is big enough for a lot of changes.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  01:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello.

You might also read the last two books of RotA. They cover Arabel some. The land around it was all screwed u, so don't put farms or trees next to the walls. Also, many new buildings sport Shade overtones due to the constructors being from Shade. There is a Pauper Town near the gates, of displaced people.

I just recently started working on Arabel for my own campaign, I took the old map and have properly destroyed it as I like.

Arabel is mentioned in the module The Dragon's Lair, but not much info is given there about it, even though the module begins there and has an encouter or two right in the streets.

Hope this helps or confuses you enough

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  17:32:23  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati
You might also read the last two books of RotA. They cover Arabel some. The land around it was all screwed u, so don't put farms or trees next to the walls. Also, many new buildings sport Shade overtones due to the constructors being from Shade. There is a Pauper Town near the gates, of displaced people.

I'm gonna have to check out RotA, even though the response seems to be lukewarm.

I'm running Cormyr in 1372, and I haven't really touched on the Shades stuff, yet, but I have Arabel still in chaos a year after the Dragon War, due to a) the difficulty in clearing out a buttload of orcs and goblins from a huge city, and b) lots of magical chaos and beasties - think how many mages lived in Arabel. Now, think how many different summoned and/or captured creatures probably reside there, and what happens when their captors flee in a hurry? Monster-infested city time, that's what. I also posited the existence of the tent/shanty town outside the High Horn Gate, and lots of refugees traipsing about trying to find somewhere to start over again - along with Zhentarim slavers preying on them.

In my campaign, just getting access to Arabel is a project, as the nobles and merchant houses don't want all kinds of sellswords traipsing about while their holdings are still unsecured. Also, the head of the temple of Tymora is vigorously opposing the re-construction of the various shrines in the city - asserting his belief that worship of Tymora should be the city's official religion. (This is going to create a major headache for one of my PCs, whose main goal at the moment is to re-establish the shrine of Tempus in Arabel.)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:44:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The leader of Arabel also had a book written about her. It mentioned some about the city. It was the Night Parade. It was based primarily in Calimshan. At one time though there was also a Dungeon magazine module based around Arabel and the night parade coming back to seek revenge or somesuch. Not that these things affect much what with the severe changes wrought during the war against the dragon.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  21:03:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The leader of Arabel also had a book written about her. It mentioned some about the city. It was the Night Parade. It was based primarily in Calimshan.

The Night Parade was the fourth Harpers novel. It was written by Scott Ciencin, and was set just after the ToT.

It's not one of my fave novels, even among the Harpers books. I can't recall the last time I read it, but I'm sure it's been close to 10 years.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:33:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I think it was the conflicting portrayal of Myrmeen Lhal that bothered me about the Night Parade (and Shadowdale for that matter). In all the (brief) descriptions of her, we get the idea that she is a pretty down to earth, "get your hands dirty" former adventurer and a no nonsense ruler, and in those books we see a self centered noble surrounded by wealth and the trappings of power, who begins to dimly remember her adventuring days when a horror from her past shows up.

Didn't seem like the same person described in the sourcebooks, or the one in Elminster's Daughter for that matter.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  15:24:36  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry if thatīs a bit off topic, but does anybody know a timeline of the events in cormyr 1370-1372 (i.e. all that happened during the cormyr- triology), where all events are listed with their respective dates (at least the months)?

I tried google but couldnīt find anything thats detailed enough to be used. atm our campaign-time is early 1371, and I need a workable outline of this years events.
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  14:57:35  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I don't know, I think it was the conflicting portrayal of Myrmeen Lhal that bothered me about the Night Parade (and Shadowdale for that matter). In all the (brief) descriptions of her, we get the idea that she is a pretty down to earth, "get your hands dirty" former adventurer and a no nonsense ruler, and in those books we see a self centered noble surrounded by wealth and the trappings of power, who begins to dimly remember her adventuring days when a horror from her past shows up.

Well, the one word that stands out from the rest in the Volo's Guide entry, from what I remember, is "imperious". And, at least from her appearance in Shadowdale, she seems to have a sense of humor about her little abuses of power - but, especially for a woman ruling a frontier city, keeping up an appearance of power and not being afraid to use it would be a must.

Edited by - DestroyYouAlot on 26 Oct 2005 14:58:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  15:17:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

sorry if thatīs a bit off topic, but does anybody know a timeline of the events in cormyr 1370-1372 (i.e. all that happened during the cormyr- triology), where all events are listed with their respective dates (at least the months)?

I tried google but couldnīt find anything thats detailed enough to be used. atm our campaign-time is early 1371, and I need a workable outline of this years events.

The only source I can think of at the moment, is A Grand History of the Realms, by Brian James:- http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/grandhistory.zip

But it mentions only a few dates and events.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000