Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Summoning Spirits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Microchips
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:17:43  Show Profile Send Microchips a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hey everyone, just a quick question for you guys

I was wondering how exactly summoning spirits worked in the realms because its got me a wee bit confused

If you were summoning from the faithful (eg an elf in Arvandor) would a god need to give you permission to summon one of his faithful back to the material plane?

For the spirits that become demons/devils would they take a new name on becoming demons and you'd have to find this out or are they stuck with the same name through the transformation and you would simply summon their new form?

And finally false/faithless would you need permission from the god of the dead (Kelemvor at the moment but who knows they have a short life span it seems) and would you be able to summon a faithless out of the wall?

Just needed to clear up how exactly it works cheers in advance

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  22:56:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . how do you mean summoning? As far as conjuring undead? Raising the dead? Do you have a specific spell or ability in mind? In general, if someone has gone on to their just rewards, they can't be raised or ressurected unless they want to come back. As far as the undead are concerned, if you create one, I'm not sure how things work as far as the bodies original spirit, though skelatons and zombies aren't inhabited by any spirits.

If you go back to the old 1st edition days, demons and devils usually let the least form of their types, Manes and Lemures, come back to form undead creatures. I would imagine that anyone that anyone that is in the wall of the Faithless or the False falls completely under Kelemvor's purveiw. However, if they are just on the Fugue Plane and haven't been judged yet, I imagine they are fair game.

I know I wasn't too much help, but let me know if you have any particular questions.
Go to Top of Page

Microchips
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  23:02:21  Show Profile Send Microchips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm . . . how do you mean summoning? As far as conjuring undead? Raising the dead? Do you have a specific spell or ability in mind? In general, if someone has gone on to their just rewards, they can't be raised or ressurected unless they want to come back. As far as the undead are concerned, if you create one, I'm not sure how things work as far as the bodies original spirit, though skelatons and zombies aren't inhabited by any spirits.

If you go back to the old 1st edition days, demons and devils usually let the least form of their types, Manes and Lemures, come back to form undead creatures. I would imagine that anyone that anyone that is in the wall of the Faithless or the False falls completely under Kelemvor's purveiw. However, if they are just on the Fugue Plane and haven't been judged yet, I imagine they are fair game.

I know I wasn't too much help, but let me know if you have any particular questions.

Well i was re-reading "Streams of Silver" again and i was wondering about the bit where Dendybar summoned Morkai.= in particular but it got me thinking about other form s of summoning.

Could you use a Gate spell to summon a spirit?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  23:32:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, looking over the Gate spell doesn't seem to preclude the summoning of the spirit of a creature. The only thing I would say is that a spirit that no longer is associated with being the creature it once once, for example, if it was the spirit of a human and is now a creature of a different type, or one with a different "name," that it might be difficult to track down. I would say anything that is a petitioner or considered a petitioner on the plane it is in would still count as the previous creature, if they still aknowlage their "old life" (some petitioners completely forget who they are and start over).

Also, since Streams of Silver takes place chronologically before the Avatar Trilogy, spirits waited on the Fugue Plane for very long streached of time during this time period, so it seems likely that Morkai's spirit could have sat there for a while.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000