Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Faerie/Fey King or Queen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  03:33:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do you think that the miscellaneous fey that populate Faerun possible have a single king - according to the Faerun theology? I know there have been Faerie lords in other settings (the Core setting, even), but I was wondering if Ed or any of the other designers ever had a power that they fey directly served...

And if there is not a direct power, do you think they just align with whoever is the most like minded?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  03:43:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2e they followed the seelie and unseelie courts. Titania and Oberon, which were King and Queen of the Seelie and also deities.

The Queen of Air and Darkness is the Queen of the Unseelie and a deity as well.

3/3.5e FR shoehorned the fey followers into the Faerun pantheon.

The Seelie and Unseelie were discussed in the Evermeet sourcebook and the deity trilogy of 2e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  14:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FAERIES by Bryon Wischstadt keeps itself wide open to have Faerie and all its denizens linked to the Realms at your leisure. It'd be easy enough to align the fey races of Faerun with this place. Check out Bastion Press' website, as I'm sure they've still got copies on hand.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  14:31:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice... I have seen that book before Steven, but didn't know what it contained (my wife is a big faerie fan).

Kuje, are you talking about the Elves of Evermeet book for 2E?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  14:45:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Kuje, are you talking about the Elves of Evermeet book for 2E?
Both the Seelie and Unseelie are dealt with in the Elves of Evermeet tome for 2e FR.

And I'll second Sage Schend's recommendation for the Faeries tome from Bastion Press. I picked it up quite a number of months ago now, and I'm still finding ways that I can use the great material presented within. It's certainly one of the best 3rd party sourcebooks printed to date for the d20 system.

And even if you don't use the material for your campaigns, the sourcebook itself doubles as a fantastic read for those just generally curious about fey cultures in fantasy settings.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Sep 2005 14:46:43
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  15:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!
I´m very happy to have discovered that scroll here at the Keep! So, Elves of Evermeet have Seelie stuff, eh? I will search for this tome (and Faeries too, and match this information with the eladree template that I have founded in Sean K Reynolds website, to create a subplot to my Rashemi and elf characters...

Thanks scribes and Loremaster Schend!

Chosen of Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  17:09:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faeries is the only 3rd party sourcebook I have. I'll second the recommendations of the others.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  17:47:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monster Mythology sourcebook from 2e also has info on the fey deities. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  01:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gotta chime in as well about Bryon Wischstadt's Faeries. I own Faeries too and I think it is a top notch sourcebook. The book is truly awesome and it has loads of lore, NPC's, spells, prestige classes, history, a cool color map of the realm of Faerie, and did I mention cool lore?

This book is totally worth picking up from your local gaming store (or ordering off the net.) If you are thinking of using the Fey Folk in your campaign I think you will find the book an invaluable source for ideas and mechanics you can use in your campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  11:41:34  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like that there is a faerie king or queen in the realms. Maybe a god or a goddess can be the ruler, but I think the faeries are too chaotic to pledge their allegiance to any organisation.

So no faerie royalty for the realms. Although I think that atleast a nonjudgemental metropolitan city like Waterdeep has its share of faeries and queens (sorry if I offended anyone).

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  14:33:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Monster Mythology interpretations of Queen Titania and the other fey lords (of both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts) rank them as "deities".

quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

I don't like that there is a faerie king or queen in the realms. Maybe a god or a goddess can be the ruler, but I think the faeries are too chaotic to pledge their allegiance to any organisation.
It's for exactly that reason that I have difficulty believing that the fey could follow any type of "organised" faith or religion.

The Inner and Outer Cirlces of the Seelie Court aren't a strict organisation in the true sense of the word, but a place where the affairs of the fey lands can be dealt with in due measure -- Queen Titania provides guidance, not rulership.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  20:46:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, going WAY back for source material, the names of the gods of the Seelie court came from Shakespere's a Midsummer Night's Dream, and while the faeries did indeed have a king and queen, if you have ever read or watched the play performed, well . . . there were no less chaotic for having "authority" figures. In fact, due to this play I actually am inclined to make up nobility for the Fey, since they were a fun concept.

That having been said, I do not know that they would have a single ruler over all of them, or if they would be broken up regionally. Faerun is a big place, and Faerie seems just are large a world in and of itself.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 22 Sep 2005 20:47:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  23:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just recalled another source of lore about faeries: the Fey Feature articles, on the Wizards website.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Sep 2005 23:40:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  02:13:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

That having been said, I do not know that they would have a single ruler over all of them, or if they would be broken up regionally. Faerun is a big place, and Faerie seems just are large a world in and of itself.
Hmmm... Individual Fey Courts, based in different regions of the Realms. Perhaps the Courts are constructed around areas of the Realms where the connections to the Faerie Lands are strongest.

I like it!

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  13:35:32  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While perusing certain old tomes in the Keep, I came across an old tome debating the Fey... Certainly one of my favorite topics. The discussion centered around whether the Fey of Faerun were under the rule ofTitania and Oberron. In the (up and coming)next section of my Silver Marches and High Forest campaign I plan on introducing some Fey creatures. These Faeries are using the Crossroads to journey to the Court of Titania to petition her for help againist the DemonFey, who have been hunting them for pleasure.

I see all the Fey of Faerun paying homage to the Seelie Court namely as insurance againist the Unseelie. I also have the book FAERIES, by Wischstadt. I plan on introducing elements of it into this campaign. The PrC FeyKnight will be used as the Seelie Queen's agent in the High Forest. Anyway, I very much enjoyed finding reading these postings...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  19:42:11  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

FAERIES by Bryon Wischstadt keeps itself wide open to have Faerie and all its denizens linked to the Realms at your leisure. SES

Yet another fan of this book :) I have the 3e Goodman Games guide to the Fey as well and the Bastion Press book is a lot better IMHO.

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000