Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic Jar Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morte
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  23:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Morte's Homepage Send Morte a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A few questions on the follow situations, and thanks for the help in advance.

Can a character who's body is dead (below -9) continue to cast Magic Jar to from "the possessed body" (so he dont have to return to his own body)?

How do it work with Contingency if the condition is: the character drops to 0 hit points or below, unconscious. What if the character then goes below -9 on one attack?

Is it possible to posses a soul???? (The character can sense it says the description)

How to a spell-alike ability with magic jar function (The Arch Mage is able to do this)????
(with spell-alike ability you don’t need a focus, I know I have asked this question before, but hope for new answers)

Regards

Edited by - Morte on 04 Nov 2005 14:43:51

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  00:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magic Jar and Contingency don't work unless you're planning to displace your own spell.

Considering your original body is specifically mentioned as appearing to be dead, and that there are contingencies in the magic jar spell in the case of the spell ending while your body is dead, yes.

No, you can only take over bodies(although arguably, with the stuff from the BoVD, you could try to take a soul's body in larval form)

It would make sense to rule that the focus is needed-I think there's a ruling on this somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  01:50:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you set Contingency to triger magic Jar when hit points reach -9 it can work. The wording would be near death because PCs do not know what a hit point is (they do know that they have been hurt, they do not know the game rules).

The biggest problem with using Contingency in this way as it would need to be set for other conditions, closest living thing, most powerful thing within range, etc.

The nearest might be at -8 (BTW I object greatly to minus hit points at all, but it is part of the rule set) life might be maintained a few moments as another strikes in battle. Going for the strongest within range the save might turn you into a dead character because of save of traget (this infers that the PC did not stablise at -9 and/or someone does strike to make the character -10 or lower).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  02:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well if you set Contingency to triger magic Jar when hit points reach -9 it can work. The wording would be near death because PCs do not know what a hit point is (they do know that they have been hurt, they do not know the game rules).

The biggest problem with using Contingency in this way as it would need to be set for other conditions, closest living thing, most powerful thing within range, etc.

The nearest might be at -8 (BTW I object greatly to minus hit points at all, but it is part of the rule set) life might be maintained a few moments as another strikes in battle. Going for the strongest within range the save might turn you into a dead character because of save of traget (this infers that the PC did not stablise at -9 and/or someone does strike to make the character -10 or lower).

It doesn't work because Contingency is limited in 3.5 to only triggering spells that affect you-you're the only target.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  03:14:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It doesn't work because Contingency is limited in 3.5 to only triggering spells that affect you-you're the only target.

I think you are reading that wrong, but not a good day for me.

This appears to be the most important text " The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level). "

Moving spirit/soul/mind from one body to another certainly should be a spell that effects the PC person, but indeed might go about the intent of the nerfed spell. Not sure how I would rule on what does work escape or healiing spells clearly will. If Contingency is only limited to range self it tends to be far less useful then it was in the past. *shrugs* Be as it will be.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 04 Nov 2005 03:17:32
Go to Top of Page

Morte
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  14:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Morte's Homepage Send Morte a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morte
Can a character who's body is dead (below -9) continue to cast Magic Jar to from "the possessed body" (so he dont have to return to his own body)?

This is my big Question, because the wizard the almost function as a Lich, except that the spell can be ended my a dispel magic. I think this is a big problem in the spell.

quote:
Originally posted by Morte
How do it work with Contingency if the condition is: the character drops to 0 hit points or below, unconscious. What if the character then goes below -9 on one attack?

I think his trigger is set to, if he looses his conscoius. What would happen if he goes below -9 in one attack then?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000