Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 broad statements that are false
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  03:51:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Delete Topic
I debated for a few moments of which section to use, here at least it should not add to my post count.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Deleted conflicting statements. What is in print is canon, but what is said is canon if not in print is acepted. This does not work well for answering a question about if Drow mature faster or even the more general question asked about how quick all elves achieve a mature form. Please try to keep this scroll on topic.

Then please stop making broad statements that are false. Ed's words are canon unless WOTC changes them in game, as we said and he's said, repeatedly.

Now if he says that drow, and other elves, mature and gestation faster, then that is what they do in FR canon unless WOTC changes that in game. This is also why elves still have a 2 year gestation in FR because Ed has said it is so and WOTC has yet to give an in game explaination why or if they have changed to a different gestation.

But has he said anything that conflicts with what is in print? What have I said that was false in the first place? THO has indicated that there were a range of options of what was posible. I have not seen any reply to questions concerning youth of any race, not from WotC and not from Ed. Oh there was talk about young bloods, but they are clearly adolestent, Also a broad statment of it appears to be is hardly citing canon, it is just what it appears to me to be the answer.

We had one go around in private message, this time it will be public, at least until you or another moderator burns me off the board.

You did provide about 6 quotes on the other side, but in the past you adhered to the theory of what is last in print that contridicts what was in print even a day before, the new print becomes canon. How then can you provide conflicting quotes of what Ed belieives is canon, when the quotes themselve conflict?

Ed, via THO, has not answered a few of mine and others questions that are getting to near a year, some clearly because of NDA. NDA means he knowns a new canon but is not allowed to talk about it. The canon might not be a retcon and just information that is new. It does however come to a point of not all that Ed provides remains valid for one reason or another.

At this time I have I think achieved a conflict with two moferators and might have uneasy truce with a third. If I disappear it might be their choice or mine.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  03:57:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Ed, via THO, has not answered a few of mine and others questions that are getting to near a year, some clearly because of NDA. NDA means he knowns a new canon but is not allowed to talk about it. The canon might not be a retcon and just information that is new. It does however come to a point of not all that Ed provides remains valid for one reason or another.

Actually, it just means he can't discuss it with us-there are varying reasons why. Another reason I've heard passed around before is that a certain area has been acquired for a computer gaming company for use in a game, and as such, he can't elaborate on it.

Also, would you just drop this, please? We really don't need it here-there's enough problems here as it is(not naming anything).

Edited by - Arivia on 04 Nov 2005 03:58:56
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  04:09:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
What you said that was false was this, "Originally posted by Kentinal

Ed Greenwood can also provide his view (You might try asking in his ask Ed scroll), but remember that Ed sold FR to TSR (now owned by WotC) so only legal rulings come from a company.

OK a painful day for me, but the only legal ruling has to come from WotC."

The only ruling doesn't have to come from WOTC because Ed's purchase contract states that anything he says is official canon, unless TSR/WOTC changes it with an in game explaination. This is why almost all of his comments on this site are still official canon unless WOTC changes them with an in game explaination.

If he says drow have a two year gestation, and he has, in general, then they have a 2 year gestation unless WOTC prints that that was changed in game.

Yes, I also go by new lore overwrites old lore if it was given an in game explaination. This is why I continue to bug WOTC to give us a reason for the planar changes, since they have only given us one planar change in game.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  04:52:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
::shakes head::

I'm not going into this anymore.

Kuje has summed up the main point already, and I feel his thinking is in-line with my own on this issue, and it reflects what Ed has already told us previously in discussions here at Candlekeep. So I'm confident enough to leave it as is.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  04:58:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

::shakes head::

I'm not going into this anymore.

So be it, at least one less I have dispute with in public or private.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:02:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I wouldn't go that far, but for this issue at least... I think it's best that we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Fair enough?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:11:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

I wouldn't go that far, but for this issue at least... I think it's best that we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Fair enough?

Agree to be in dispute? As you wish we agree to be in dispute. So shall it remain.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:16:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
No, that's not it... That we agree to the fact that we are in disagreement over this particular issue. That's all.

Are you trying to provoke the forum mods here, or do you have a legitimate issue with this elven gestation aspect?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:43:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

No, that's not it... That we agree to the fact that we are in disagreement over this particular issue. That's all.

Which issue are we agreeing to disagree with?
quote:

Are you trying to provoke the forum mods here, or do you have a legitimate issue with this elven gestation aspect?

Elven gestation has changed though the versions from five months to 24 but that is not the issue at all at this point in time.

As for intent to provoke the mods, indeed not and was rather surprised you chrime in. This is (or was at least) discussion of elven maturity (all races) but more about what I understand lore to be.

What I faced was one mod, and now two, saying I do not understand lore, the legal agreements Edward Greenwood has made (as per THO here) as to what the realms are. What controls what the realms are, what the lore is.

When mod elevation was annouced the only one I was sure of was The Sage... Wooly knows this and has for some time. Perhaps a bad day for both of us, but right now feeling that only Wooly should have been elevated.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  09:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

I've locked down this scroll for obvious reasons. I think this needs to be taken back to Private Messages. This sort of unrest cannot be tolerated herein. Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly