Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Purple Dragon Knight
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightShadow
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:29:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightShadow's Homepage Send KnightShadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently playing on a very large online Cormyrian campaign revolving around the city of Arabel. I'm playing a Purple Dragon Blade at the moment, but am looking to take it much farther. It's somewhat far fetched, but my question is basicaly:

Can a Fighter/Champion of Torm(Helm in this Case) be classified as a PD Knight if he proves himself worthy? Could it just be straight fighter? Does he even need Paladin and/or Champion levels?

I'm also interested in what sorts of dogma a PD Knight would have over your average PDs. Also, what sort of status would/do they gain with Nobility? Would they have their own house and a set of retainers, likely?

I've read some of the guildelines for PD Knights within the Candlekeep sight somewhere, but basicaly I'm looking for a lot more information, and for my questions to be answered.

Also, the setting we are in is currently about 1000 years after the fall of Netheril. My character is a long lost heir to a netherese thrown, could that have any say/motivation with my character's play in being a PD Knight?

Thanks for any replies, they're appreciated.

KnightShadow

KnightShadow
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:45:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightShadow's Homepage Send KnightShadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may help to know that I'm seeking PD Knight in the form of a rank/title; not in the form of a prestige class.

KnightShadow
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Knightshadow and welcome to the boards.

To become a Purple Dragon a character can be a straight fighter or a Champion of Helm (don't really understand why you said both Helm and Torm, it's usually one or the other).

In order to be a Purple Dragon Knight the character simply needs to meet the requirements which are...

From PGtF
Alignment: Any nonevil and nonchaotic
Region: Cormyr
BAB: +4
Skills: Diplomacy or Intimidate 1 rank, Listen, Ride, and Spot 2 ranks.
Feats: Leadership, Mounted Combat
Special Must be a member of the purple dragon knights.

So, any class can meet the prerequisites it just takes some classes longer than others.

And by the way....If my memory serves me right (and I'm pretty sure it does in this case), the Purple Dragon Knights did not exist until well after the campaign you are in existed (1000 years after Netheril).

For more information on Purple Dragon Knights check out Players Guide to Faerun (page 68-69) and the Cormyr Series of novels.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:47:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightShadow

I may help to know that I'm seeking PD Knight in the form of a rank/title; not in the form of a prestige class.

Sorry, I typed my last reply as you were typing this one, that is why I described the Prestige Class.

As for Rank/Title, I don't think the PC has to be from any specific classes. I would say Fighter and Paladin would work the best.
Go to Top of Page

KnightShadow
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:48:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightShadow's Homepage Send KnightShadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So PnP would say that you don't need to be a Paladin to be a PD Knight?

KnightShadow
Go to Top of Page

KnightShadow
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:52:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightShadow's Homepage Send KnightShadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, to be exact, the time period we are in is mid 1732; Arabel, Cormyr.

KnightShadow
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  22:54:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While there are several scribes here at the keep that are bone fide experts on the subject of Cormyr, I cannot claim such expertise, but I have a few off handed comments.

First off, being a Purple Dragon Knight means you are an officer of the purple dragons, which, while it may but you in charge of low ranking knights, doesn't grant you a household, lands, etc. You may be given some purple dragons under your command, but you might also be under special assignment to the crown without any particular underlings. It all depends on the whim of the crown and your immediate superior.

As far as dogma goes, purple dragons, rank and file or officers, are bound to uphold the laws of Cormyr and defend the crown, and to put the good of the country before their own interests.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  23:35:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, to be exact, the time period we are in is mid 1732; Arabel, Cormyr.

That's about 360 years into the future... 1000 years after the fall of Netheril (which was -339 DR, the Year of Sundered Webs) would be 661 DR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightShadow
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  23:40:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightShadow's Homepage Send KnightShadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found at that it was my mistake, and that it is 1372, typo hehe!

The 1000 years thing was just an estimate, and I'm no FR nor DnD pro just yet.

KnightShadow
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  03:33:43  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just found at that it was my mistake, and that it is 1372, typo hehe!

The 1000 years thing was just an estimate, and I'm no FR nor DnD pro just yet.

Amazing what transposing two numbers can do

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  04:08:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All answers to your questions can be found here: http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/cormyrforces.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000