Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  15:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
Or maybe, I had that in mind since I'm going to be a uncle in a few months and it was on my mind. :) Yes, that probably sounds strange.....

Congrats!!

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  20:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
After happening to glance upon a (possibly misprinted) passage in City of the Spider Queen I noted that Randal Morn mentions a Temple of Tyr in Dagger Falls.

The Sage pointed out for me that it was either a misprint, or could be a reference to Tunfer the Stout, here http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6688

Please could you tell me a little more about Tunfer the Stout, particularly his relations to the Knights of Holy Judgement and the Hammers of Grimjaws (or even better if there is an actualy temple of tyr thats not been written about yet)

Thanks for your time
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  22:23:07  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Thank you much to Ed and The Hooded One for your reply.

Here's another question: is the son of Dove Falconhand still living on Evermeet? Or would he be grown and living on the mainland now, in the current game year (1373?)
Go to Top of Page

Anticlion Son of Semnion
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  22:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Anticlion Son of Semnion's Homepage Send Anticlion Son of Semnion a Private Message
Hello,

Overlord Greenwood, I must say that it is a singular honor. I was introduced to the Realms as a wee lad years ago when I read, and highly enjoyed, SPELLFIRE. My unending thirst for Realmslore is best captured by the fact that I have FR gaming products (sourcebooks) despite the fact that I don't play D&D!

Enough fawning

My question concerns a strange creature detailed in MM2: The Hellfire Wyrm. These beasts are described as "draconic agents of the Nine Hells of Baator that live amongst the humanoid races of the Prime Material Plane." Though I am fully aware that MM2 is not a Realms-specific product, I am nevertheless curious enough to ask whether there are such dragons in Faerun. Are there any other types of fiendish dragons in the Realms (i.e. dragons devilish, dragons demonic, dragons...yugolothic)? These questions may indeed be answered in the forthcoming DRAGONS OF FAERUN. If so, then please feel free to swat my inquiries away.

I my opinion on these creatures, anyway, is that they not born, but "made"--in the sense that they sell their souls to fiendish powers (perhaps for longevity?) and thereby become fused with the essence of...fiend-stuff, thus becoming transformed.

"It is well known that, while reason embraces a cold mediocrity, our passions hurry us, with rapid violence, over the space which lies between the most opposite extremes." -Edward Gibbon

Edited by - Anticlion Son of Semnion on 20 Apr 2006 22:45:54
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  22:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message
One more question for Ed,

Was the area between Chondath and Chessenta known as the Blade Kingdoms present in any form in the original Realms or was it carved out by the Vilhon Reach sourcebook and the Council of Blades novel? If so, what were the kingdoms like? Does it resemble the Border Kingdoms in arrangement or do they function under another system of organization and affiliation?

Aside: I don't know how you keep up at the rate you do with the answers being well thought out and detailed as they are, even with decades of notes I take it you create just as much as you reference previous notes. Sure you don't have a few magical clones hidden in your basement typing away at computers with responses pouring out of them that we should know about.

[Prepares plans to abduct Ed clones. Who's with me?]

Edited by - Archwizard on 20 Apr 2006 23:00:22
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  00:46:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Here's another question: is the son of Dove Falconhand still living on Evermeet? Or would he be grown and living on the mainland now, in the current game year (1373?)

The novel "Evermeet" notes in passing that he is a ranger who roams the wild areas north of Shadowdale.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  04:05:09  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear Lady and Ed,

Does anybody have Baerauble(First Mage of Cormyr) stats and does anybody known Baerauble's story before his life with the elves and men of Cormyr(in Netheril)? If so please do inform me of the answers to both, Tempus thanks you both!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  04:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed's discussed Baerauble previously in his '04 and '05 replies. He's briefly mentioned in Volo's Guide to Cormyr and I think he was also mentioned in one of Ed's "Lost Treasures of Cormyr" articles in DRAGON (#278, #279, #280, #281) -- I don't specifically recall any stats though...

We don't know a great deal. Perhaps Ed has more to share than he has previously...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Apr 2006 04:15:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  04:24:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, at least that question’s BaeraubleXXX oog! Sorry.
Hi again, fellow scribes of the Realms. You know, Ed just returned from a convention that had coffee tastings, cheese tastings, beer tastings, scotch tastings, and chocolate tastings
. . . so I’m sure he’s up for breast tastings.
So I’ll offer mine (ahem, not for the first time) and see what happens . . .
Now, as for Realmslore, thom asked several questions back on March 10th, but Ed has plucked one of them out to answer right now (the others won’t be forgotten): “. . . I was perusing the OGB again and I noticed that "Jelde Asturien" got his name at 3rd level, THO can you or Ed elucidate on the why of this requirement?”
Ed speaks:

Every member of the clergy of Lathander takes a new name in the service of the deity, usually at around 3rd level ( “when they are ready;” i.e. it varies for each individual), to signify that Lathander has personally noticed and accepted them. In the case of Jelde, he “laid aside” his birth name of Semoor Wolftooth.
In some cases, the person uses their new name only inside the faith (when speaking to other priests, or participating in solitary prayers or temple rituals), but in most cases they use it openly, in place of their former name (note: it doesn’t invalidate contracts, remove them legally from inheritances, debts, or obligations, or free them of secular laws and real-life local requirements).
The name is either communicated to them in dreams, or dreams or a holy ritual informs them they must undertake a holy vigil (usually when the individual has profaned Lathander’s name, strayed from his teachings, or not caused or aided any new beginnings).
The vigil is this: the individual must first collect some of their own tears, shed when genuinely moved (though it can be happiness as well as sadness, and need not be a religious occasion). This is usually done in a consecrated glass vial, provided free by any church of the Morninglord. Collecting these tears is the only delay acceptable between learning of the need for the vigil and undertaking it. If the individual is in a monastery or in service at a temple, other priests may slap or spank the individual to bring on tears right away.
The individual then goes alone by night to “a high place of stone” (usually a rocky tor, but sometimes a building roof or castle battlements), disrobes, and lies down, spreadeagled on their back on the bare rock, in a location where the rising sun will strike them.
They then cut, prick, bite, or gash themselves enough to draw a few drops of blood, smear the blood in a hollow of their body (the navel is usually used), and shake the drops of their tears into it.
Taking care not to spill it, they put on a blindfold (again, temples provide them but the individual’s only discarded clothing may serve), and lie still.
The sunrise must touch them, but the individual is to remain lying on the rock (baking in the sun if necessary) until their new name is communicated to them. It may come to them in their dreams if they fall asleep, may be ANYTHING (sound like any language, though it will always be two words, corresponding to a given name and a surname), and once it appears in their mind, they will NEVER forget it, even through death and rebirth, turning away from the faith, or anything else.
Some individuals see the god walking across the sky to them, to touch them and smilingly utter their name; some see it written across their minds in swirling letters of rosy fire, and some see the smiling forms of dead clerics or faithful lay worshippers of Lathander who were personally known to them in life, who come to them, kiss them, and whisper the name in their ear.
By tradition, an individual receiving his or her “name in the faith” is to go to the head of a temple of the Morninglord (failing that, any Consecrated priest of Lathander), whisper the name to him or her, and kiss him or her. Thereafter, within the faith, they are known as “Consecrated” and referred to as “a named priest of the god.” Some temples keep the names semi-secret, using them only in rituals and in private temple talk, and others use them openly, every day.

So saith Ed. So there you have it, Lathanderites!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  04:28:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
You know Ed.... :)

It's been awhile since we got some new deity curse words/phrases... Hint. Hint. :) I do believe you said you would try to give us some each year.... :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Apr 2006 04:28:41
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  14:16:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Anticlion Son of Semnion
My question concerns a strange creature detailed in MM2: The Hellfire Wyrm. These beasts are described as "draconic agents of the Nine Hells of Baator that live amongst the humanoid races of the Prime Material Plane." Though I am fully aware that MM2 is not a Realms-specific product, I am nevertheless curious enough to ask whether there are such dragons in Faerun. Are there any other types of fiendish dragons in the Realms (i.e. dragons devilish, dragons demonic, dragons...yugolothic)? These questions may indeed be answered in the forthcoming DRAGONS OF FAERUN. If so, then please feel free to swat my inquiries away.

There are certainly fiendish dragons (i.e. true dragons with the fiendish template) living in the Realms. Dragons of Faerun touches on several of them of particular import.

The official planar dragons (detailed in the Draconomicon) can also be placed in the planar cosmology of the Realms. There's a small table in Dragons of Faerun that might be of interest touching on this topic. Dragon magazine has recently introduced quite a few planar dragons and these two can be set in the cosmology of the Realms if you so choose.

I doubt many of those planar dragons actually live in the Realms proper, with the notable exception of shadow dragons, although there are certainly individuals who do.

As for hellfire wyrms in particular, we know of no specific hellfire wyrms acting in the Realms, but I'm certain there are at least a few. I contemplated putting one in the Realms in a recent project I worked on, but decided against it due to the high CR. In fact, the high CR is so problematic that you're unlikely to see a hellfire wyrm in a Realms product, in my estimation. That said, I would certainly encourage DMs playing at that exalted level to consider doing so. One thought that comes to mind is that the church of Gargauth might be secretly ruled by a triumvirate of hellfire wyrms in the service of the Outcast. Alternatively, one might give Malkizid (Champions of Ruins) a hellfire wyrm steed (presumably a fellow exile).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  01:34:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings once more to the Sage of the Verdant Forest and his lovely hooded assistant.

This is to get clarification about an Cylyria Dragonbreast. In the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, she's written up as a human, but in all the 2nd edition sources I've found she's a half-elf. So...what is she?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  02:33:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Greetings once more to the Sage of the Verdant Forest and his lovely hooded assistant.

This is to get clarification about an Cylyria Dragonbreast. In the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, she's written up as a human, but in all the 2nd edition sources I've found she's a half-elf. So...what is she?

The FRCS is in error. She is supposed to be a half-elf. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  02:56:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed tackles this, from dearest Wooly Rupert: “In the fourth footnote of part six of the Uthmere column [[THO note: in Ed’s Realmslore web columns, on the Wizards website]], you say that: “One of the Ladies, Asmra Laelock (known to all as Blacktresses for her long, dyed hair) has three removable artificial limbs that she can replace with rather astonishing attachments.”
I'd like more information on these limbs: their function(s), how she replaces them and stores the not-in-use ones, and how she got these limbs. As always, thanks!
Ed speaks:

I feel as if I should be calling you Wooly dearest. :}
Asmra got those limbs for loving (both emotionally and physically, beginning as a paying client but ending as a firm friend) a very ugly wizard, one Thaskalos of Alaghôn, who was a wart-covered, hunchbacked “toad” of a man with oversized eyes and lips, and a hooked nose (no affliction, just the way he was born and developed). He was lonely, shunned, and often reviled for his fearsome looks, but Blacktresses regarded herself as a professional, and pitied him for his loneliness; she greeted him in as friendly and ardent a manner as if he’d been young and handsome. He was suspicious of her at first, but came to enjoy not just her charms but her genuine, easy friendship - - and visited her about once a month once he gained mastery of teleport spells.
Asmra was then a tall, very thin Illuskan lass, with raven-black hair and milk-white skin, a graceful dancer and singer, and an acrobatic lover. On her left flank is a line of dark blue birthmarks that look for all the world like small, discreet tattoos: characters in some unknown language.
However, one night she got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and was on a balcony that got blasted to shards by a spell intended to slay the wizard who’d hired her that night, and was embracing her on it. He escaped, the balcony and Asmra did not - - and she ended up lying shattered in the street far below (both her legs and her right arm broken in many places, the ends of bone protruding from the crushed and twisted limbs).
She was taken to an Uth temple for healing, but when the priests saw the tattoos on the unconscious woman, they literally threw her out of the doors (refusing, then and later, to say why).
A Harper found her, took her to his rented rooms on an improvised litter (she was alive, though still senseless, and burning hot from a fever, her open wounds having become infected), and went to try to find potions of healing. He managed to procure one, and it kept her alive until Thaskalos arrived that sundown, ready for a night of love - - and started to turn Uthmere upside down in an increasingly-frantic search for her.
Asmra was slipping towards death again by the time he found her, following wild tales of spell-duels and flying balconies and temple curses. Thaskalos had very few friends, but he called in all the favours he knew and help he could hire, and managed to nurse Asmra back to health, though her three shattered limbs had to be amputated.
He magically “floated” her back to her own rooms, and nursed her for months - - at the end of which she was as healthy as before her accident, except for having stumps where her right arm and both legs should be.
Thaskalos had used the time spent away from her bedside well, crafting all manner of limbs to go onto her stumps (and harnesses to keep them there): shapely legs that end in feet, and skis, skates, and climbing picks, arms that end in pincers, a swordblade, a pot, and a skillet, a shapely arm that looks real but can’t hold or manipulate anything (the hand is “frozen”), and various pleasure-use attachments that I’m sure you can imagine. :} (The “leg of many phalluses” is a particular favourite of her fellow Ladies of the Stars.)
Thaskalos gifted Asmra with these attachments, and wed her, but insisted that she continue her life as a coinlass of the evening, and he resumed his life of wandering adventuring and spell-experimentation. He “drops in” on her every tenday or so, and even has a rented suite of rooms at another upper-floor location in Uthmere to take her to, if they desire it - - but Asmra is happiest entertaining customers just as she did before her accident, and of course has acquired a stranger and more avid clientele as a result of her “extras.” :}
She seldom leaves her rooms because of the difficult she has in negotiating steps with legs that don’t bend at the knees; these also give her a distinctive walk. Thaskalos has offered to take her to temples of various faiths outside Uthmere, to get her missing limbs regenerated, but Asmra has refused, saying she’s now comfortable with her attachments and life (this may be true, but Thaskalos suspects she’s also afraid of what she might learn about her “tattoos” from other priests spurning her; as far as she knows, they’re just birthmarks and nothing more, BUT . . .

So saith Ed. Whose heart is in the right place, and whose other bodily features also have their rightful places. Ahem. (Seriously: these sorts of little stories about so many, many NPCS are the true backbone and life-force of the Realms, and Ed has, and can concoct, hundreds of them.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  03:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
To Ed:
My interest has recently been rekindled in the far-easterly realms of Semphar and Murghom, which have been covered in moderate detail in previous realms products. However, as I understand them, they have been given a large arabian flavor which doesn't seem to 'fit' for the area, or mesh with the fact that we already have the arabian-ish Lands of Intrigue and the land of Zakhara as tacked on by TSR. Did you have any original concepts of S and M that were changed/adapted in the release of sourcebooks like 'the Horde'? I am assuming that these were part of your original realms.
Apart from any corrections of your own that you'd like to make to published material on these two lands, what are their relationships with one another and the lands around them, such as Thay, Mulhorand, and the Endless Wastes? They seem to be primarily agricultural areas, but what do they trade with outsiders, and what would these countries be known for in the wider realms? What can you tell us about Bhaluin's history and current happenings? If you have any other general information on the countries in the big picture, please be sure to mention them.
However, I would like to get even more specific, should you have the time. Can you give any history of relations between the cities of Zindalankh and Dhaztanar? There was apparently some confusion over trade that resulted in Zindalankh's deminishment, but surely such power-house cities of neighboring countries would have some interesting and possibly even very violent confrontations.
Zooming in closer, this time on Dhaztanar, what can you tell us about the university/library there that is supposedly so famous throughout the south? We're not even given its name. What kind of architechture does it have, does it contain any notable works, has the university produced any notable wizards, how does the Caliph (if he even exists in your realms) keep tabs on those within the university, how does the general populace - which is extremely poor and unhappy - feel about having a large, dangerous, and expensive university at their doorstep?
I'd be grateful for any information you have, but I would particularly be interested in the university and Bhaluin if priorities need to be stated.

Thank you very much for all the information you have given to others, which has in turn inspired me to think up new ways to delve into the realms! Whilst the university year is almost over and I'll be going back to my small-town retreat, I hope to again introduce the realms to new people, as I did DMing a group in Amn this year.
Returning from my ramblings, thanks in advance!

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  14:34:51  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

The novel "Evermeet" notes in passing that he is a ranger who roams the wild areas north of Shadowdale.

-- George Krashos

Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  19:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(snip)

My previous lore reply (to Charles Phipps, about the Chosen) provides some illustrations of the reasons why certain individuals (who have the magical power, or have magic “done to them,” such as being put into stasis or a sleep of ages by someone else, to “last” for thousands of years) desire to continue to exist.
Most such individuals are obsessed with reaching various goals, or completing unfinished tasks. Sometimes it’s prolonging and defending a kingdom, or one’s own descendants, or conversely destroying a foe (or the foe’s kin or organization or kingdom). Sometimes it’s cheating mortality, living on as a lich or prolonging life indefinitely by some other means - - and sometimes it’s perfecting some other sort of magic entirely, or founding a faith, or . . . any number of aims that may seem strange or puny or futile to us, but that provide a drive and reason for the existence of someone. In some cases it’s trying to craft a replacement body for oneself or a dying (frozen in stasis, or dead and “living on” as some sort of phantom) loved one; in others, it’s putting one’s own descendants on a throne, or at the head of a guild, or completing some magical experiment or other. Driving, all-consuming obsession seems to be the key, and those who fulfill or lose it often fail and die swiftly, or seek to die by suicide or by plunging into a fight that’s almost certain death.

(snip)

Which prompts a question which I am fairly certain has been answered at least once before, in which case I would appreciate it if someone would post a link to the answer, since I didn't understand the question at the time nor take note of the answer: Who was the disembodied Netherese Archwizard "Ander" back when he was alive, and what details are known of him besides what is in Elminister: Making of a Mage? (Yes! My effort to read El's life story backward to its beginnings has progressed all the way to Athalantar.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  19:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I have been researching my next question for a few weeks and I now throw in the towel and ask if Ed or some other sage will please provide me with the answer.

More than once El has been attacked by memory-devouring brain worms. Where, pray tell, are they "written up" as monsters? I would like to know much more about them, but I haven't found anything outside the novels. Help, please!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  01:12:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. This time, Ed deals with Dargoth’s “CSI Waterdeep” queries: “What methods and how much time would the Waterdeep watch spend trying to solve a crime ie Murder/rape/theft etc
As a rule are the watch willing to commit resources depending on the social status of the victim ie a commoner vs merchant vs a guildmaster vs a Noble vs a Lord of Waterdeep etc?
The D&D has a number of spells that could help solve a case (assume there wasnt a conventional witness to the crime) such as Locate Object, Speak with Dead, Speak with Animals, Speak with plants, Stone tell etc do the Watch regularly use these spells to solve a case?
If someone wanted for a crime escapes Waterdeep before they can be punished do the Watch try and track them down and bring them back? (I note that Duke Inselm Hhune and Lucia Thione have not been punished for the Torture and the attempted murder of 2 Lords of Waterdeep)If so do the Waterdeep watch employ bounty hunters to bring back wanted felons?”
Ed replies:

The Watch generally operate on a “keep the peace, lock up the drunks overnight” level, but quickly refer murders, kidnappings, and any crime or problem they see as having wider repercussions (and they’re pretty shrewd) the like to the Palace and the Guard, who call in the Watchful Order of Magists right away (in addition to the Order mages who accompany Watch patrols). The Order members do regularly use the spells you cite, and others, to help solve crimes, and do so with the Watch observing.
Piergeiron and Khelben have made it clear that discouraging and solving ALL crimes is vital to Waterdeep’s continuing popularity (and thus, prosperity) as a trade-center, and push for the Watch to diligently aid all persons, and solve all crimes.
However, three sorts of victims have different rights: visiting outlanders, citizens, and nobles, and this is subtly reflected in how energetically most crimesolving and crime prevention is enacted. There’s also an unspoken “what do you expect if you go drinking and brawling in Dock Ward by night?” attitude that allows more leeway in Dock Ward (and to some extent South Ward) than in other areas of the city.
And no, criminals who flee Waterdeep generally aren’t pursued (though they may be exiled in absentia, or tried, sentenced, and have that sentence instantly imposed on them if they’re found in the city, even decades later). The city doesn’t employ or encourage bounty hunters, but many guildmasters, nobles, and individual wealthy merchants do.
It should also be remembered that many noble families (or their factors, working on their behalf) employ agents or short-term-hire adventurers to find miscreants, recover stolen goods, and enact punishments - - as do guilds.

So saith Ed, THE Masked Lord of Waterdeep.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:12:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, all. This time Ed turns to some queries from Asgetrion: “Hello Ed and Lady Hooded One, and many thanks once again for all the Realmslore you provide us here!
I was wondering if Ed could give us a glimpse at dwarven grammar and vocabulary beyond what was in 'Dwarves Deep'? For example, such as how possessive/genetive case works in dwarven. Would 'Durlik's axe' be 'Durlikuld' or 'Durlikkuld'?
Maybe Ed has also written dwarven battle songs he would share with us? (would they prefer horns or drums, or perhaps some other instrument when marching to battle?)
Then I would like to ask some details about mines... are the mines railed in the Realms, and is there any difference between how dwarven mines differ from those of the other races? If the mines are not commonly 'railed', are elevators used to travel between 'levels'?”
Ed speaks:

Asgetrion, you’re very welcome. I love doing this, despite the time it devours. I have written dwarven battle-songs, but they’re NDA’d right now because someone else may soon have a use for them. Dwarves prefer to trudge into battle in grim silence, breaking into deep, mass roars when they charge (and bellowing war-cries when enraged). They occasionally use horns, drums and “talk-blocks” (hand-held hollowed-out stones struck with wooden sticks, akin in use and sound to the so-called “Chinese blocks” of modern real-world orchestras) for signalling (troop movements) in battle, both above and below ground - - and because of that, rarely use them in music. Dwarves when singing often sit and stamp their boots rhythmically or use (sparse) strokes on a single talk-block for emphasis or to establish a beat.
I’m going to leave dwarven grammar for a later, longer reply (except to tell you to watch my Realmslore columns on the Wizards website for an upcoming entry on “Dwarf Common”), and move to your questions about mines. Dwarves have experimented with everything over the years, from levels and stopes to vertical shafts that descend to a seam which is then followed, other shafts being dug down to intersect with the seam farther along, and the shafts being filled with winch-cable-wooden-platform elevators. However, MOST dwarven mines favour a series of ramps, so ore and tailings can be dragged out by crawling or trudging miners to natural caverns (if they can find such), which are used for smelting and crushing, and which are gradually “filled up” with loose tailings and then abandoned (except for locales near to large human cities where the crushed tailings can be used by wizards (in combination with the right spells) to craft concrete and asphalt equivalents (“installed” by dwarves, of course). Some mines are railed and use ore-cars or skips (sometimes hauled by pack lizards or mules), and others are not. Simply put, the dwarves have tried everything. In ancient days, when they were more numerous, it was a common practice to enlarge worked-out mines (or sections of mines) into dwarven dwellings.

So saith Ed. Expert on all things dwarvish (including the practice of carrying pets and future snacks in one’s own beard).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  08:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed replies:

The Watch generally operate on a “keep the peace, lock up the drunks overnight” level, but quickly refer murders, kidnappings, and any crime or problem they see as having wider repercussions (and they’re pretty shrewd) the like to the Palace and the Guard, who call in the Watchful Order of Magists right away (in addition to the Order mages who accompany Watch patrols). The Order members do regularly use the spells you cite, and others, to help solve crimes, and do so with the Watch observing.
Piergeiron and Khelben have made it clear that discouraging and solving ALL crimes is vital to Waterdeep’s continuing popularity (and thus, prosperity) as a trade-center, and push for the Watch to diligently aid all persons, and solve all crimes.
However, three sorts of victims have different rights: visiting outlanders, citizens, and nobles, and this is subtly reflected in how energetically most crimesolving and crime prevention is enacted. There’s also an unspoken “what do you expect if you go drinking and brawling in Dock Ward by night?” attitude that allows more leeway in Dock Ward (and to some extent South Ward) than in other areas of the city.
And no, criminals who flee Waterdeep generally aren’t pursued (though they may be exiled in absentia, or tried, sentenced, and have that sentence instantly imposed on them if they’re found in the city, even decades later). The city doesn’t employ or encourage bounty hunters, but many guildmasters, nobles, and individual wealthy merchants do.
It should also be remembered that many noble families (or their factors, working on their behalf) employ agents or short-term-hire adventurers to find miscreants, recover stolen goods, and enact punishments - - as do guilds.

Thanks Ed

Ive got another question this time with regard to the Floshin Elven family with regard to their family tree (Most my info gleamed from the Daggerford entry of the North)

Elorfindar had a Sun Elf wife (Now deceased) who gave him 4 children: Elorshin (Male Cleric of Tyr), Shalendra (Female Cavalier), Filvendor (Male Wizard/Rogue/Figher) and Darfin (Male Figher/Wizard)

Out of the 4 children only Filvendor has had children (that we know of)Kelson Darkreader (with a Human Woman)and Filarion (with a Moon Elf female)

We also have Kira "Floshin" who is Elorfindars great grand daughter The North source book doesnt say who her parents and grand parents are though only that she has Sun and Moon Elf blood in her

Can you expand on the infomation given in The North, have any of Elorfindars other sons and daughter had children? How old are the members of the family? (The North only provides an age for Kelson)

Thanks in advance

PS I ask because one of my players in my Daggerford/Waterdeep campaign wants to run a Moon Elf so Ive decided to make him part of the Floshin family

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  15:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Ok, so this is like the 4th question I have and I feel weird for asking another one but I thought it was worth while, while listening to Enya.

Is there any sort of spells known that can 'record' music? Say does the music (or chanting) get 'recorded' into a say gem or other magical device, and allow for play back of it? My thinking was what if a Cleric was sort of by him self and wanted to hear his or her songs to their god being played while they where in a area that made them anxious, and knowing that the music would help them selves.

Edit: Or perhaps if they where the last of their group, and they know they needed to keep their moral up and hear music they knew and loved.

Thanks once more

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 24 Apr 2006 18:01:44
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  16:45:27  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message
Hello a quick question for Ed,
Do you use psionics in any of your games? Do you have any views/opinions of the new psionic classes from the CP. Also what do you think about the Jhaamdath empire, and the addons that Ed Bonny the other ed (lol okay thats lame) has made for them. I know that you have stated before that tsr kept you from publishing psionic related stuff due to dark sun being their focus place for that, but since wizards has changed that do you plan on adding or resubmitting any psionic related things for the realms? *trying not to drool at the thought* Also just have to note that the hooded one rocks, and i would like to do some breast sampling but thats a different type of question.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  17:41:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Hello a quick question for Ed,
Do you use psionics in any of your games? Do you have any views/opinions of the new psionic classes from the CP. Also what do you think about the Jhaamdath empire, and the addons that Ed Bonny the other ed (lol okay thats lame) has made for them. I know that you have stated before that tsr kept you from publishing psionic related stuff due to dark sun being their focus place for that, but since wizards has changed that do you plan on adding or resubmitting any psionic related things for the realms? *trying not to drool at the thought* Also just have to note that the hooded one rocks, and i would like to do some breast sampling but thats a different type of question.

The first part we can answer. Yes, Ed uses psionics of some type since one of the Knights of Myth Drannor has a psionic wild talent. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  18:06:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

The first part we can answer. Yes, Ed uses psionics of some type since one of the Knights of Myth Drannor has a psionic wild talent. :)

Yup. And though I don't remember where it was, I do seem to recall seeing a 1E write-up of El that including psionics.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  18:10:07  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Ok, so this is like the 4th question I have and I feel weird for asking another one but I thought it was worth while, while listening to Enya.

Is there any sort of spells known that can 'record' music? Say does the music (or chanting) get 'recorded' into a say gem or other magical device, and allow for play back of it? My thinking was what if a Cleric was sort of by him self and wanted to hear his or her songs to their god being played while they where in a area that made them anxious, and knowing that the music would help them selves.

Edit: Or perhaps if they where the last of their group, and they know they needed to keep their moral up and hear music they knew and loved.

Thanks once more

The Finders Stone had this effect, though it was an artifact and possibly unique (and also destroyed as far as I know)

Alias (and arguably all of her 'copies' too) has this ability to reproduce the songs perfectly, though they are free-willed and can change them, and it's not a recording as such.

I'd hazard a guess that a kiira might be able to do it, but I'd get one of the other sages to confirm this :)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  18:55:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Thanks once more

There's a figurine in Tangled Webs that can do this.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  23:18:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hey,

Can we take the psionic debate to another scroll? :) Actually. I'm moving some of these to that scroll.

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Apr 2006 23:23:35
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  00:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
A kiira stores all unguarded knowledge possessed by the weilder. So all of the songs he/she's ever listened to should theoretically be in there. It's *finding* a certain song in milennia of memories that a problem...

There was also a sound bottle in The Floodgate that Tzigone uses to record a short verbal exchange. No idea how much it could record or store for how long.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:21:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yup. And though I don't remember where it was, I do seem to recall seeing a 1E write-up of El that including psionics.

As well as most 2e write-ups of Elminster.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000