Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Strange things happening with the Forums
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  02:05:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just recently whenever I click on the blue arrow to go to the newest post of a thread, I get kicked clear to the first post of the thread.

Anyone else been having this problem?

Also for the longest time, whenever I post in a thread, I get sent clear to the main forum page, instead of staying within that thread still (for a very short time a few months back, I was returned to the post that I had just made).
Is a bit annoying to have to go back to the thread to double check my post, since even if I preview a post, I don't catch everything sometimes.

Anyone else been having these problems or know of any solutions?

Thanks

btw I use Internet Explorer 6

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  03:06:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not encountered them... Then again, I never click on that blue arrow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  04:30:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a couple of PMs about this over the past few weeks.

I don't notice the problems myself, since I'm using SageOS most of the time, or Firefox on the work machines... but it sounds almost like a browser cache issue. Have you emptied yours recently?

I know that IE suffers from more significant problems with full browser caches or large a "Temporary Internet Files" folder -- moreso than Firefox.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  05:18:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, emptying the cache is prolly a good idea. IE does some weird stuff, sometimes. And is your system up to date? Microsoft just released three or four patches on Tuesday, plus the one they rushed out last week (which I've still got to put on all the machines on the second floor ).

The way I surf the site, I open one window to the Active Topics page, and leave that one open, periodically refreshing it. All other windows I open off of that one -- I hold down the SHIFT key while clicking directly on the link (either the topic name or the last page of the topic), which opens the link in a new window.

The only problems I've had have been when the site itself was experiencing issues.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  08:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmmmm. I'd certainly take the advise of The Sage and Wooly. Such events may be occuring due to conflicting information between your cache and the recent move to the new web host. Clearing cache and cookies should hopefully cure thy problem.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  17:04:33  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

As a realted 'strange happening' I have noticed occasionally - and as recently as last night - I will open a forum header (such as 'site content') and ALL the threads are marked as having new information. Usually - I think for a brief moment that the discussion level in this particular area has skyrocketed - but then I start noticing the dates - and realize whats up. Its not usually a problem - I just look at the dates then to guide me to what is truly new. Just kinda... odd .... :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!

Edited by - Dhomal on 12 Jan 2006 17:05:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  00:31:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you reload the forums after a long period of inactivity, and you are still logged in, you will notice that each of the scrolls are suddenly marked as such. It cannot differentiate between old and new because you've remained logged in for so long without any new activity for a significant time.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  05:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got the following error

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not update; currently locked by user 'admin' on machine 'IIS671'.

/forum/inc_func_common.asp, line 88

I hit refresh and it worked properly

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  09:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I just got the following error

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not update; currently locked by user 'admin' on machine 'IIS671'.

/forum/inc_func_common.asp, line 88

I hit refresh and it worked properly

Well met

::shudder::

Worry not, Dargoth. I have encountered this error once before in the life of Candlekeep Forums. It's a deadlock which can occur when requesting exclusive control on the very same record in the very same nanosecond.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  03:07:00  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, will see if dumping my cache, cookies, etc will fix things.
And look at the MS site for updates <shudders>.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  02:30:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now that I have done that, I can go directly to the end of a thread with no problems, but still get kicked clear to the front page when I post though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  02:52:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I experienced that behavior myself, this afternoon. I was on my dad's machine when it happened. I suspect it's a setting in IE somewhere, because I just rebuilt that computer -- I doubt it's been on the internet for 48 hours (total) since I rebuilt it.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  09:34:28  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I experienced that behavior myself, this afternoon. I was on my dad's machine when it happened. I suspect it's a setting in IE somewhere, because I just rebuilt that computer -- I doubt it's been on the internet for 48 hours (total) since I rebuilt it.

Only happens with this Forum, and has always happened with the except of a couple of days a few months back, and I never made any changes (known at any time) to my IE settings.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  10:52:27  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay now this is truly driving me crazy.
Now sometimes when I click on the arrow to go to the newest post/edit of a thread it takes me to the first post, or it takes me to the last post. Regardless of the thread <flails>
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  23:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got this one

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/forum/default.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  23:26:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just got this one

Script timed out

/forum/default.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

I get that one, occasionally.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  00:29:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just got this one

Script timed out

/forum/default.asp

I get that one, occasionally.

Actually, that may have been my fault.

I'm trying to adapt some ASP code for Candlekeep so it can be used in the forum software to prevent future outages from virus corruption and the like... as we experienced last year.

I may have unintentionally uploaded a portion of the code from my machine and it run amok through the forums for a few minutes.

The fact that it happens occasionally though, could mean it is something else... since the times it is occuring is times when I'm not tinkering with the code. I'll have to talk to Big Al...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  00:35:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm trying to adapt some ASP code for Candlekeep so it can be used in the forum software to prevent future outages from virus corruption and the like... as we experienced last year.

I may have unintentionally uploaded a portion of the code from my machine and it run amok through the forums for a few minutes.

The fact that it happens occasionally though, could mean it is something else... since the times it is occuring is times when I'm not tinkering with the code. I'll have to talk to Big Al...

Sage broke the forums! Sage broke the forums!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  01:18:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... Now, now Wooly...

I'm checking the code now to see whether it has recorded an upload.

I know I was tinkering around with it on the night of the 2nd, but that was Perth time. Dargoth's registering of the error code occurs in the morning of the 3rd for me...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  01:18:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And strangely, when I was checking the code... the error code popped up on my screen when I re-loaded the forums.

Curious...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  11:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sage broke the forums! Sage broke the forums!

Why I oughta....

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  12:48:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And strangely, when I was checking the code... the error code popped up on my screen when I re-loaded the forums.

Curious...

Well, it's definately occured before the 2nd, I've see it pop up on a an irregular basis for a few months at least (about 5 or 6 times), always in conjunction with a long load-time of the page in question.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  12:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
Well, it's definately occured before the 2nd, I've see it pop up on a an irregular basis for a few months at least (about 5 or 6 times), always in conjunction with a long load-time of the page in question.

Same here---I just thought it was a known issue already.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  15:46:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Curious...

Aye...

But I think my tinkering has caused the latest page faults .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  05:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep getting this damn error

Script timed out

/forum/post_info.asp

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  06:12:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gotten that error several times this eve... Sage, you breaking things again?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  07:17:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's likely... I'm working on several little bits for the forum software at the moment. My recent upload probably caused the outages.

Again, I apologise. I'll try to keep the uploads to a minimum over the next few days.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  08:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've gotten that error several times this eve... Sage, you breaking things again?

Well met

Hmmmmm. I know that there were problems on the Candlekeep server last night for the webhost, where all sites were effected. Mayhaps it will explain this.

Even so, i'd much rather experience the occassional script timeout rather than the previous "database corrupt" message which knocked the forums out for a day or more

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  13:55:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, it was me.

I looked through the upload logs for my coding and the times I was connected to the web were exactly the times the page faults occured here. I'm going to start running the coding changes for the Candlekeep forums on another machine -- preferrably one without continuous net access.

Big Al, I may need to borrow a much larger snippet of the actual forum code than I'd originally thought I might need. I've got most of the coding done already... but I want to use my template on actual working forum software, and since this *is* for Candlekeep... it makes sense to configure the code for the Candlekeep software directly.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  17:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Big Al, I may need to borrow a much larger snippet of the actual forum code than I'd originally thought I might need. I've got most of the coding done already... but I want to use my template on actual working forum software, and since this *is* for Candlekeep... it makes sense to configure the code for the Candlekeep software directly.

Well met

Very well, Sage. Email me to discuss further and i'll help where I can.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  05:36:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do Big Al .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000