Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Thornwood, green's sword & shining hands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Klagg
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  03:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Klagg's Homepage Send Klagg a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good evening,
I am beginning to write a campaign that will be based in Thornwood region of the realms. I have the players and campaign setting guide books. I am creating a town along the Thornwash river,if you have the realms map it will be centered where the river splits in three near the Cloven mountains. Reading some of the background to this area I discovered a Legend of the Green's Sword that sprouts in the Thornwood forest to the west of this location, every 10 yrs. It is said to be used to fight evil and can be claimed by only someone who is worthy. Looking for stats for this item? do they exist?
Also looking for information on a prestige class for the Shining Hand Monk's? I was disappointed not to see them in the Shining South supplement. I'm looking for something that would incorperate a monk and a sor/wiz with special feats and skills. As followers of Azuth they might get some cleric sbilities as well. They are going to be part of the campaign. Any help would be appreciated.
----bewary of flying monkeys.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  04:24:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no stats for the Green Sword. You have free rein here to do what you want.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  17:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck finding anything on the Thornwood area! I think it has been left un-covered so we have a free hand at running the area?

I kind of picture the place looking like Sedona, but that's just the way I do the Thornwood.

MATT
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  18:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless I'm totally misremembering, this is the forest on the south end of Erlkazar between it and the Land of the Lions. (Feel free to mock me if I'm totally brain-farting on this one...)

Jess made some use of the Thornwood in Master of Chains, didn't he? If nothing else, the lost cities and overgrown ruins are touched on in that.

I'm totally drawing blanks on what I used to have in the Thornwood from my original FR campaign other than some standard "haunted woods" scenarios.....

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  18:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Unless I'm totally misremembering, this is the forest on the south end of Erlkazar between it and the Land of the Lions. (Feel free to mock me if I'm totally brain-farting on this one...)

Nope, you're right.
Go to Top of Page

Klagg
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  00:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Klagg's Homepage Send Klagg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whipping out lands of Intrigue box set(lucky to have it)
Hmm seems the Master Schend is correct about Erlkazar(which is not noted in the 3rd ed campaign setting for FR)noting there are many differences in the maps from 2nd ed to 3rd There are two towns located in the Cloven Mountains the side where I plan to place my town of Thornwater. One is a ghost town Saarlik and the other Dajaan is ruins located in the High Peak mountains(another change) Have not found anything regarding "Land of Lions".
The woods are hauntd or atleast "home to many evils and one beholder" so says 3rd ed
I appreciate the quick and expert info and will have to look up this book Master of the Chains By Jess Lebow.
now anything on the Shining Hands???
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  00:40:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Jess made some use of the Thornwood in Master of Chains, didn't he? If nothing else, the lost cities and overgrown ruins are touched on in that.
Indeed, Jess did.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  00:59:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Land of the Lions, also known as the Arnaden lands, are detailed in "Empires of the Shining Sea", also by Steven Schend.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  09:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong here, but isn't Arnaden (at least Ankhapur) one of the areas that the Jhaamdathans settled almost 5000 years ago?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  14:04:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, you're right.

All the cities along the northern shoreline of the Lake of Steam were part of the Jhaamdathan Empire. Ankhapur itself, as part of the Empire, was founded around -5,000 DR -- with many of the other Arnaden Jhaamdathan locations following in the same period.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000