Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sememmon's patron deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  14:11:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

What is Sememmon's patron deity (or which could be if it's unknown?) ?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  15:34:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane, I believe. I'm not near my books, so I can't check.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  17:01:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 1e campaign box set really is the only one that has it listed and he followed the old Mystra and Bane.

Who knows who his deities are now since the changes during the ToT's, etc. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Feb 2006 17:01:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  17:23:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's times like this... that I'd suggest we ask Ed, but as we know both Sememmon and Ashemmi are protected by the powers of the NDA.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  17:29:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers from Son of Thunder:

If Mortiz the Gnome really was working for Semmemon the whole time in that book, Semmemon was actively trying to recruit allies from among those Cyricists that were going to be out of favor with Fzoul's Banite regime, though I have no idea if this indicates that Semmemon adopted Cyric as a patron, if he ever worshipped Xvim, or if he had had enough of gods and was just being an oppourtunist.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  17:31:09  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, I always supposed he switched to Cyric after ToT, mainly because he's opposed to Fzoul...

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Feb 2006 17:33:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  18:00:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

In fact, I always supposed he switched to Cyric after ToT, mainly because he's opposed to Fzoul...

But he was a supporter of Manshoon, who follows Bane. And didn't Sememmon flee from the growing Cyricist influence in the Citadel of the Raven (or was it Darkhold? I always get the two confused)?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Feb 2006 18:03:06
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  18:18:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

But he was a supporter of Manshoon, who follows Bane. And didn't Sememmon flee from the growing Cyricist influence in the Citadel of the Raven (or was it Darkhold? I always get the two confused)?

I think I'm somewhat confused, but I always tought the "Western Zentharim" (including Darkhold) switched to Cyric while the "Moonsea" Zentharim went for Xvim (and then back Bane).

Is Manshoon really a devout Bane follower ? I never pictured it that way myself..

In fact, she must be right, Sememon must have escaped the new Cyric influence in Darkhold, but it is really because of his Banite faith? I doubt it.

This thread gave me a very good idea for my current campaign, the new "Zhent" contact my Banite Cleric player's got in Waterdeep could become only a disguise of Sememnon elven consort

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Feb 2006 18:18:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  19:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fact, she must be right, Sememon must have escaped the new Cyric influence in Darkhold, but it is really because of his Banite faith? I doubt it.

Well, if he was a Cyricist, he wouldn't have had to flee...

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  20:16:05  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.. I was thinking about this Ashemeni idea when I wrote She, of course I wanted to say "You must be right [he's kept his faith in Bane]
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  22:11:34  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He fled Darkhold because he sensed that things were in the works to have him whacked... He no doubt predicted that once Fzoul would be catapulted to supreme power due to the return of Bane, he would have little left to decide in Darkhold.

So, instead of spending the rest of his life as Fzoul's puppet, he 'retired' from Zhentarim service...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  22:44:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got home and read up on Sememmon's description in the FRCS. Between his LE alignment, his past history, and what it says of his personality, I'm standing on my earlier statement: Bane. I could also see him giving a lot of worship to Mystra, since that was what the earlier lore said.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  22:51:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, in all the detail Steven Schend has passed my way re Sememmon, he's never once noted what deity he worships - if any. Given his break from Darkhold and the Zhentarim, I'd say that if he was a Cyricist or Banite that he may have drifted away from these faiths. As he's had to rely upon himself, his magic and Ashemmi (another spellcaster), he may well have shifted to the worship of Azuth or possibly Mystra. Nothing about this guy makes me think he's very religious in the first place - maybe his fanatic father put him off religion years ago ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  01:39:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, that doesn't cut it for me. Sorry. Both Manshoon and Sememmon have alawys been pragmatic worshippers of Bane. As it is, I think Sememmon's playing on the fact that he's lost the influence he had at the Darkhold, and as such he's a renegade on the run from Fzoul.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  01:44:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keeping in line with the Sememmon discussion though... I've always wondered about what really drove both Sememmon and Ashemmi to the status of rogues. Did it have something to do with Khelben's "grand plan"... based on the bits we learned in C&D. We know Khelben was making deals with Fzoul. Hmmmm...

Steven?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  01:46:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just got home and read up on Sememmon's description in the FRCS. Between his LE alignment, his past history, and what it says of his personality, I'm standing on my earlier statement: Bane. I could also see him giving a lot of worship to Mystra, since that was what the earlier lore said.

Given that, I'd say Bane as well. But since his time as a renegade has largely seen him travelling around a lot of the Realms... perhaps his previous interest in worshipping Mystra has rekindled.

As George has said... Sememmon's currently doing "wizard stuff"... and a renewed interest in the Lady of Mysteries may be part of that.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  14:04:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You know, in all the detail Steven Schend has passed my way re Sememmon, he's never once noted what deity he worships - if any. Given his break from Darkhold and the Zhentarim, I'd say that if he was a Cyricist or Banite that he may have drifted away from these faiths. As he's had to rely upon himself, his magic and Ashemmi (another spellcaster), he may well have shifted to the worship of Azuth or possibly Mystra. Nothing about this guy makes me think he's very religious in the first place - maybe his fanatic father put him off religion years ago ...

-- George Krashos

I completely agree with George here: up to now the guy was maybe a "banite" on the surface, because, admit it, one would not last long in a mercantile theocracy if one would openly deny the clergy in charge...

Azuth/LN_Mystra could be a very good choice for Semmemmon at this given time. Either that or he's got a covert reason to "go underground" in order to bypass Khelben's ban to the west. It's that, or it's because he could not possibly envision a Fzoul-led Zhentarim anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  17:22:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Either that or he's got a covert reason to "go underground" in order to bypass Khelben's ban to the west.

Sememmon is neither a Zhentarim nor a Xvimist. The deal Fzoul and Khelben made does not affect Sememmon as an individual, and I'd say the same applies to Ashemmi. Now if they try starting something using Zhent forces, then that's another story. But so long as they remain independents, the deal doesn't apply to them at all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  00:52:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertThe deal Fzoul and Khelben made does not affect Sememmon as an individual, and I'd say the same applies to Ashemmi. Now if they try starting something using Zhent forces, then that's another story. But so long as they remain independents, the deal doesn't apply to them at all.
I'm not so sure... I mean, it's likely yes, but Steven's earlier comments about Khelben's plan *maybe* having something to do with why Sememmon went "rogue" are just too delicious to ignore without suitable proof to the contrary.

Granted, Sememmon and Ashemmi's current status as renegades most likely has nothing to do with the Fzoul/Khelben shuffle and the deal probably has no bearing on Sememmon as he is now... but then maybe, that's the whole idea... keeping an agent like Sememmon free to help "set things in motion".

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Feb 2006 00:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  01:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Keeping in line with the Sememmon discussion though... I've always wondered about what really drove both Sememmon and Ashemmi to the status of rogues. Did it have something to do with Khelben's "grand plan"... based on the bits we learned in C&D. We know Khelben was making deals with Fzoul. Hmmmm...

Steven?

Yes, Sage?

Steven
Who always reserves the right to say, "Er, no comment."

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  01:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Just my opinion, now, but I'd say two things about Sememmon within this context:
a) Sememmon has never been a devout worshiper of Anything beyond power.
b) Were he to still ascribe to any sort of faith, he'd only put his faith behind a god older than him. As he neither trusts nor has reason to embrace the young Mystra or the new Bane, I think he'd throw in with Azuth and twist it to worshiping his own skills of wizardry. (If you want to get really odd, have him "go native/elf" with Ashemmi and both start worshiping Fenmaril Mestarine to be wild cards.....)

Steven
Who knows that Sememmon's dad makes his son look like a piker in terms of self-centeredness and mindless lust for power (whereas Sememmon's always had a mindful lust for power)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  03:33:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Steven?

Yes, Sage?

Steven
Who always reserves the right to say, "Er, no comment."

Hehe... I should have expected that from you Steven .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  03:40:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

b) Were he to still ascribe to any sort of faith, he'd only put his faith behind a god older than him. As he neither trusts nor has reason to embrace the young Mystra or the new Bane...
I can see him being uneasy about putting his faith in the new Mystra... but Bane? Perhaps he would see the Black Lord's return as a reflection of his great power... and thus, perhaps, be deserving once again of Semmy's further worship?

Then again, that is kind of discounted by your comments in a)... So unless Sememmon could justify a renewed worship in the "new" Bane as a way for himself to accrue further power... he's just as likely to look elsewhere for an established deity and go from there -- hence Azuth.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  22:08:35  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay i hate to disagree with you wise sages of the realms but..... In the new Sons of Thunder book it states that Sememmon is a follower of Cyric if any of those dark gods, he opposes the followers of band especially Fzoul because he is a follower/chosen of Bane. Although he fled Darkhold because he didn't think he could hold his power there with the changes occuring in the Zentarium converting to Bane and all. So he might not be a follower of either god.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  13:43:42  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

In the new Sons of Thunder book it states [snip]
What's that Sons of Thunder book you are referring to? never heard of it...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  15:24:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PDK... Son of Thunder is Murray Leeder's FR novel and part of "The Fighters" series. See here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/954417400.htm

Also, check out the Book Club section here at Candlekeep for discussions about the chapters of the novel which featured in last month's book club.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  01:05:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Okay i hate to disagree with you wise sages of the realms but..... In the new Sons of Thunder book it states that Sememmon is a follower of Cyric if any of those dark gods, he opposes the followers of band especially Fzoul because he is a follower/chosen of Bane. Although he fled Darkhold because he didn't think he could hold his power there with the changes occuring in the Zentarium converting to Bane and all. So he might not be a follower of either god.

I mentioned this in my "cloaked" post, but in all honesty, I saw that Sememmon was recruiting among the Cyrisits by telling them that there was no place in the new Banite order of the Zhentarim, but I don't remember it implicitly saying that Semmemon was a Cyricist, just that he was heavily recruiting among them. If you can remember where it specifically says that he was doing so because of a shared faith, let me know so I can review it, because I don't remember that. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  12:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could never imagine Sememmon worship a deity, who's chosen would be Fzoul Chembryl!

I always imagined Sememmon (and Manshoon) to be more agnostic, not really knowing what to believe, but also not really caring (as they surely have other things in mind than religion)

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  17:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with what's been said. Certainly the material that Steven Schend has flashed before me grants the impression that Sememmon's not a sort especially inclined towards religion. He may not be a Cyricist (though Moritz certainly is), though if we can imagine the Zhentarim fractured into Banite (eastern) and Cyricist (western) factions, Sememmon's sympathies are on the Cyricist side.

Despite having been Manshoon's pupil once upon a time, he has no particular loyalty to him or his allegiences (these are Zhentarim, after all). Sememmon did kill one of the Manshoon clones during the Manshoon Wars (as related in Cloak & Dagger).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  18:14:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

Despite having been Manshoon's pupil once upon a time, he has no particular loyalty to him or his allegiences (these are Zhentarim, after all). Sememmon did kill one of the Manshoon clones during the Manshoon Wars (as related in Cloak & Dagger).

But that clone was trying to steal from him... Sememmon had previously aided Manshoon, when Fzoul and Orgauth had attacked. Had that particular clone not tried to steal from Sememmon, I think it likely Sememmon would have offered some aid.

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  22:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right; I had forgotten the specifics of the incident. Regardless, my feeling is that, among Zhentarim, power politics predominate over personal relationships and deific allegiences.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000