Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Prestige Skills
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  21:26:32  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My thought for producing presige skills was based on two thoughts...

1) The Concentration skill seemed very lack-luster to me. Virtually every class has this skill as a class-skill, but no one but a spell caster would ever take it. As it is written, its just not necessary (or even useful) for any other class 99% of the time. The ability to focus (synonym of concentrate) is a skill lauded by all. Monks (in real life) are supposed to be able to concentrate themselves into supreme tranquility, Zen Archers are supposed to be able to perform astounding feats of archery through near monastic focus, Barbarians able to resist pain through single minded determination, Bhuddist Monks calmly burn themselves to death in protest. All of these things shout "WISDOM" to me, not "CONSTITUTION." My problem was this: Do I need to create a new skill, or broaden the scope of the existing skill.

2)Presige X. X here stands for a variable. I thoroughly enjoy the Prestige mechanic of your advancement becoming more than the sum of its parts via specific qualifications. Most people attach "Prestige" to classes, but I have always coupled it with a principle. Only a fighter of a certain level can take weapon specialization. Only by meeting certain inherent requirements do you get to take Whirlwind Attack. To become a lich, you must do X, Y, and Z. From races, to templates, to feats, and even races, the Principle of Prestige X is omnipresent in 3E even if it is not called such.

So why not prestige skills?

Under the canon d20 system, getting more skill points just makes you better at doing that particular thing (sometimes not even that, it just makes you less likely to fail). But if I were a monk, and had 23 ranks in concentration, shouldn't I be able to do something more than be able to cast a spell while being beaten on especially considering that I can't cast a spell? Concentration is inherent to the idea of the monk, but aside from some class features, there is no need for a monk to ever take the skill Concentration.

That is the genesis of Deep Concentration. I don't have the write up in front of me right now, but it basically goes like this...

Prestige Skill: Deep Concentration (Wis)
Requirements: 10 ranks in Concentration
Flavor Requirement: your character must have displayed a meditative spirit for X amount of time, and sought tutelage from NPC X,Y,or Z (or another DM approved Master of Deep Concentration)

All of my Prestige Skills carry Flavor requirements. I find that if they don't, they just aren't very prestigious.

Deep Concentration has a number of applications:
Enhancing the quality of any given craft skill
Boosting the turning ability of a cleric
Allowing one to purge their own mind of enchantments or phantasms
Bestowing an inherent bonus on a given athletic activity (trying to make a reeeeaaally long jump takes a lot of focus, ask any olympian)
Speeding along research
Give spellcasters the opportunity to ignore distractions during study, research, or crafting of magic items (monsters rush into camp at the break of dawn while elf wizard is preparing spells. Confidant that his party will have things well in control, he makes a deep concentration check to ignore everything around him).

all of these applications (in fact using this skill at all) denote single minded, nearly religious focus making the character totally susceptible to any attack or action. Characters using Deep Concentration are considered flat-footed, and recieve a penalty to Spot and Listen checks equal to the result of their Deep Concentration check (ouch!).

So, in the previous example, the Elf Wizard gets a total result of 17 on his Deep Concentration check. Regardless of whether the check is actually successful or not, he recieves a -17 penalty to spot and listen checks.

In a previous topic, I mentioned the Prestige Knowledge skill Monster Biology and Anatomy. Again, it has a lot of applications that Knowledge Dungeoneering just doesn't cover.

Some Realms specific examples of some Prestige Knowledge skills might be Knowledge (Obarskyr Family History), for which one might have to have 5 ranks of knowledge (Cormyr) and 5 ranks of knowledge (nobility and royalty).

Questions?

-Walker

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  22:20:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting idea

Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer and Wizard are the only classes that have Concentration as a class skill. All except the Monk are or will be able to cast spells and even the Monk has spell like abilities.

I think you are looking for a solution of a non existant problem.

Concentration is about using magic either spells or spell-like abilities, the ignoring damage to be able to use inate, Wis, Int or Cha boosted abilities.

The Fighter acepts the blade cut with a laught and cuts back harder.
The Barbarian gets enraged at being cut and does greater damage via the rage ability.
The Rogue is the one at greatest risk, lower hitpoints but will not normally try to use abilities when in danger. Instead choosing to hide.

I do know I did not adress the expanded core classes that has been offered or any of the Prestige classes, but the same premise exists for Concentration as best I know. A skill to ignore physical damage to use a mental ability (often magical).

Also to require ranks in a cross craft skill as a prerequisite (or even a skill) breaks even further the broken skill system. Prerequisites do work a little better with the feat system, though at least some 3.0 designers conceded that some feats should have been skills (like track).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the only combat-exclusive class that uses Concentration to any extent is the Scout, and when you consider the amount of aiming that class does, it makes sense.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  19:12:22  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't checked up on whether it was a class skill or not in 3.5, but I believe all classes had it in 3.0. I might be wrong and will concede the point.

Anyhow, Concentration was just the means that I used to come to this idea. However flawed in motivation it might be, I believe that that final product is a good one. Why not Prestige Skills?

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  19:29:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its an interesting concept. With all of my goofy house rules and the like, I'd not likely put more complexity into things, but given that a lot of this comes from thinking about the concentration skill, have you seen this alternative use on SKR site?

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/concentrationagainstpoison.html
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  23:52:44  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
had not seen it previously, but it looks good to me...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000