Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Brain storming the lone lizard man.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  14:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

I am currently working on a back story for a lizard man NPC in my Waterdeep campaine; he is a poison dusk lizard folk (See MM3 pg96) belonging to a small tribe. I had several ideas as to where to place his tribe in the realms one being mazteca, my thought being to have him arrive in Waterdeep by ship. This NPC is meant to be an extremely unlikely fellow my question is this, how would he be received in Waterdeep, particularly by such institutions as the watch and the Watchful order assuming he is lawful neutral and that his stated purpose in the city is to study magic. He will be making an attempt to get into Eltorchul Academy are there newly relaxed slandered relaxed to the point he could get in if he can pay? What I am looking for is what obstacles he would encounter on the way to his goal, and any general ideas folks may have for his future.

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  15:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If he can pay?

If he can pay, I’m sure he can do just about anything in Waterdeep. Okay, maybe not murder folk, but I’m sure with enough coin that he will be able to easily get into the city.

I imagine (based of previous replies from Ed and the Waterdeep book) that he would be watched, and kept a good eye on until he proved himself to be not a danger or risk in the city.

In addition, I would think that, even if his skill in magic is weak, that any mage academy would love to boast that they have trained a savaged and exotic lizardman using their techniques (so even YOU can learn magic! …after paying your tuition, dues, book fees, instructor fees, dorm costs…etc) :p

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  16:54:27  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First reaction.
"Who let this Kobold into the city?"
Then
"This Kobold speeks funny, for a Kobold"
advanceing to
"I think it's not a Kobold."

I can see a member from the church of helm sponsering this NPC, or a wizard that accompanied the Waterdeep helmites. He had to find a ride from maztica.
Consider it a forign exchange program, The lizardfolk came to learn the ways of the Sword Coast, (between being bothered by the Oghmites and convincing people he isn't a kobold) while someone stayed to learn the way of the poison dusk people.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  18:20:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember Ed making some comment about lizard folk and how they are regarded in the Realms recently in his answers thread. I beleive that he essentially said if the area didn't have an issue with lizardfolk, they would likely consider it just a novelty. That having been said, I wouldn't have your little friend wander around near Daggerford any time soon.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  02:19:13  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wasn't there something about a lizard folk band that assists waterdeep from time to time. I know there are some swamp areas near or close to waterdeep. I don't have my source books handy to look it up right now though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000