Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How long to finish reading a novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  17:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a slow reader. Maybe 4 books a month tops.
Go to Top of Page

Dansan
Acolyte

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  19:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Dansan's Homepage Send Dansan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reading pace, with english not being a native language, is about 50 pages per hour. I read about one to two hours a day when possible, resulting in one book per week.

Endure, and in enduring grow strong
Go to Top of Page

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  03:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the typical book in about two and a half hours, which is as much a curse as anything else. I spent $100 on Forgotten Realms novels and reasd them all in a weekend!
Go to Top of Page

jmf
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:34:23  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmmmmmmmm if the print is big i'd say about three days if i read about 50 pages or more in a day.

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  01:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Realms novels on my 1.5 hours of break at work. What with eating etc, I get about an hour or so each shift and it takes me 4-5 shifts to finish the average 320 page paperback. No sooner do I finish one book, than I pick up the next and get started on it.

Once I've finished a book I bring it back home from my locker, write a review for my blog and shelve it in the collection.

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  01:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I have much free time and the novel is too good to let go, then 1-3 days. If only the latter, then about 3-8 days. If it's an allright novel, then maybe 2 weeks to a month. If it's not too good but I keep reading anyways so I can get all the FR novels read, then 2 weeks to 2 months depending on if I force through it or not.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  02:47:19  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On average, it takes me 2-3 hours to finish a normal sized fantasy book.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  08:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fastest I've ever gone is 1 book a day (technically two, but if you're counting hours, then 1).

With that being said, that's only if I had nothing else to do. Usually a book takes within a week to two weeks for me (a month longest). But there are those rare occasions, where I do read longer than one month, due to lack of time or a book just not captivating me long enough.
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  10:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm i finsh a normal fantasy book in 2-3 hours
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  11:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally read on the tube on the way to and from work which is only 40mins a day, and it takes me around 3 weeks to finish a novel.
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  01:00:45  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try to read about 50 pages a day. Like some of the others if it is a very good book I may finish in a day or two.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally read them over the course of a few days. I could read most o f them in a few hours but I usually keep my novel reading to my breaks at work.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now, about 2 weeks per book, because I work full time and I don't want to spend all my free time reading.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  06:21:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One to two days on an average for a book of about three hundred pages. Faster if its really interesting, a lot slower if it is not.
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  23:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for most of my FR books "350 pages" its only 1-2 days depending on how into it i am...but if its not as edge of the seat interesting then 3-4 days....and i can read a 900 and some page harry potter book in like 2 days...but i think the print is a little big bigger on those....i dont remember...

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  07:02:59  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I average about a week per novel but it depends on how "into" the story I am. I only read an hour or two a day so usually about 6 to 8 hours per book. Some have taken longer and some like The Finder's Stone trilogy flew by in a couple hours each. I try not to read too fast though because I feel like I will miss something.
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  07:17:15  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you koz. I can read a book in a hour or two but I really wont get much out of it other than a basic outline. When I read for fun it takes me much longer since I am going there in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  07:35:38  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhhhh, so I'm not the only one who visualizes what I am reading!!! I like to think that I watch a novel like I do a movie. The only difference being that I decide all the viusals and the author decides the action and plot. I think the best novel I have read that does this is Ghostwalker by Erik Scott DeBie. It is very cinematic. If you like to "see" what you are reading I highly reccomend it.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  10:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say 7 hours, but if its good 3.

At the moment, I am reading realms of the dragons, so it’s hard for me to say.
I am not a fast reader because I want to check up on the new knowledge there is in the new books.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

whyfight
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  11:38:42  Show Profile  Visit whyfight's Homepage Send whyfight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
reading over these posts it seriously boggles my mind (though i refuse to beileve a human being can read a book in 3 or less hours, i mean thats like 5 pages a minute) how fast some people can read. i have been reading FR for only like 3 or 4 years and i read steadily at a pace of about one book a month, due mostly too my page time that i cant get below 2 minutes which at time, well most of the time, frustrates me to the point were i dont even want to read anymore. What happens is ill be reading and forget im even reading because i see everything in my head, then ill look up to check time and ive read like 25 pages and its been almost an hour. That usually gets me mad enugh to put the book down and i have to wait a long time before i can pick it up again(help me lol). Also i get very distracted and find myself putting down books (no matter how good it is) for days even weeks at a time to pursue other hobbies.

An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.

Edited by - whyfight on 06 Feb 2007 11:49:18
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  12:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry that was a type error, it should had said 5 hours.

And it is possible to read a book without putting it down, and it is much easier if you have someone to make coffee for you, trust me.
That’s one of the things that that I have to take a break from. But I think it normal to say that it’s hard to put a book away that is good.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 06 Feb 2007 12:39:57
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  13:13:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whyfight

reading over these posts it seriously boggles my mind (though i refuse to beileve a human being can read a book in 3 or less hours, i mean thats like 5 pages a minute) how fast some people can read. i have been reading FR for only like 3 or 4 years and i read steadily at a pace of about one book a month, due mostly too my page time that i cant get below 2 minutes which at time, well most of the time, frustrates me to the point were i dont even want to read anymore. What happens is ill be reading and forget im even reading because i see everything in my head, then ill look up to check time and ive read like 25 pages and its been almost an hour. That usually gets me mad enugh to put the book down and i have to wait a long time before i can pick it up again(help me lol). Also i get very distracted and find myself putting down books (no matter how good it is) for days even weeks at a time to pursue other hobbies.

Well, that doesn't sound that slow to me, I would guess my reading-speed to be about two minutes pr. page and I am not a very visual reader. With a page count of twenty five pr hour that would make it about twelve hours on a tree hundred page book if added together. Just take your time and enjoy the book at your own pace.

Reading speed is to a certain degree a question of training and to a degree a question of individuality. As I am starting to remind myself of the university I will stop now.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  14:14:34  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

How long does it take you to finish reading a novel? Say an average 300+ page paperback.

This all depends on my son!! if he sleeps all night I can read a full 300+ page novel in one night, I suffer from a from of insomnia!

But usually it takes me two sessions of reading thanks to Little Delz

But I know I am not the norm regarding reading books, I always have been a quick reader, even at school! The teachers always made me review books to prove I had read them! before I could select the next one. It was fun trying to sum up Lord of the Rings in one paragraph when I was 12!

They even accused me of cheating as I had a reading age of 30+ at 12!

Ahh the good ol' days....

Now I'm content with reading all my stock before I sell them, I currently have 79 novels in stock so I always have something to read.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  18:37:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Reading speed is to a certain degree a question of training and to a degree a question of individuality. As I am starting to remind myself of the university I will stop now.

I'm naturally something of a fast reader... Sometimes, I think of taking a speed-reading course, so that I could read more. Other times, I finish books too quickly and find myself wishing I'd not read them as fast!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  05:47:07  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
college and work take up a lot of my time...but on average a trilogy will take me 2 weeks. so usually 4-5 days for one book. but if i have some days off and no homework then i can finish a book in 1-2 days.

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  08:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A day or so when I didn't work a few years back. It took me the better part of a week to get through each of the WotSQ books working and going to school.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:21:45  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
depends on book but usually 2-3 days taking me longer to read cormyr though.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah cormyr is one of the larger FR books out there. good one though.

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000