Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster's Daughter [SPOILERS]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  19:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Could someone clarify this for me please:

1) Is Caladnei Elminster's Daughter?
2) Is Filfaeril Elminster's descendant?
3) What is the novel about?

Thank you.

Edited by - Alaundo on 22 Aug 2004 10:48:36

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  01:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. No (edited)
2. Yes
3. Come on! Just read it.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 21 Aug 2004 14:37:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  03:07:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom_Lord

3) What is the novel about?

Elminster's daughter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  04:06:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a thread already devoted to this novel that might be the place to find out more information.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  04:07:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Come on! Just read it.

Caladnei's is El's daughter????? I don't recall that in the novel. Which part did you get this information?
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  21:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops! It's Laspeera, not Caladnei.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aha! Trying to tie up poor El to another child just so he has to pay more child support. I'm up to scribes like you Crust!

SiriusBlack (Legal Advocate for Elminster)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  22:37:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Aha! Trying to tie up poor El to another child just so he has to pay more child support. I'm up to scribes like you Crust!

SiriusBlack (Legal Advocate for Elminster)

I dunno, I think El would deal with lawyers the same way that Khelben did in the AD&D comic.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  03:35:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I dunno, I think El would deal with lawyers the same way that Khelben did in the AD&D comic.

Not to slide too far off topic, because we all know MORs and Senior Scribes never do that...what did he do?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  05:36:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not to slide too far off topic, because we all know MORs and Senior Scribes never do that...what did he do?

He used some illusions to scare the bejeebers out of a lawyer, which meant the lawyer ran out without enforcing a contract. Since the lawyer violated his own contract by doing this, it was the end of lawyers in Waterdeep.

Oh, and we got to see Kyri in her sleepwear. Suffice it to say that this was a wonderful thing!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  16:17:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
He used some illusions to scare the bejeebers out of a lawyer, which meant the lawyer ran out without enforcing a contract. Since the lawyer violated his own contract by doing this, it was the end of lawyers in Waterdeep.

Scaring a lawyer? Sounds like something Alusair would do. And speaking of her in this novel, I think she's handling her regency pretty well so far. Of course, wait til she has to deal with a teenage nephew....

quote:

Oh, and we got to see Kyri in her sleepwear. Suffice it to say that this was a wonderful thing!

Kyri?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  18:10:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Scaring a lawyer? Sounds like something Alusair would do. And speaking of her in this novel, I think she's handling her regency pretty well so far. Of course, wait til she has to deal with a teenage nephew....

quote:

Kyri?

Kyriani was a character from the AD&D comic, another who has made it into canon sources. She's a very attractive and quite "friendly" half-elf mage who owns a tavern in Waterdeep's Dock Ward.

She is a personal friend of Selūne, an agent of Khelben's, and a Moonstar. She helped Selūne fight Shar during the Time of Troubles, and she also helped when two Manshoons popped up in Waterdeep and started duking it out...

If you'd like, I can send you all the info I collected on her. I'll also see if I can find a pic online.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  18:33:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you'd like, I can send you all the info I collected on her. I'll also see if I can find a pic online.

Please do for both the info and the pic if you find it. You know how to find me...much like my creditors.

Thanks in advance WR! Those scribes that talk bad about you have just got it all wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  18:48:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd like to see a pic, if possible, as well. I know you've been researching those comic char's for awhile now and unfort I never saw the FR comic. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  18:52:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

I'd like to see a pic, if possible, as well. I know you've been researching those comic char's for awhile now and unfort I never saw the FR comic. :)

Have I already shared with you the info I found on the other characters?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  21:52:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Have I already shared with you the info I found on the other characters?

A little when you were over on the boards that must not be named. :) But you didn't show me any pic's of them, but I got them now.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  07:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Wooly Rupert, could you send me the information too?

wookie.dm@gmail.com

Thanks.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  08:16:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom_Lord

Mr. Wooly Rupert, could you send me the information too?

wookie.dm@gmail.com

Thanks.

What all information are you looking for? I have the write-ups (lifted from Dragon) of the characters from both the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic, and the Forgotten Realms one, as well as my own notes on Kyriani, and a couple pics of her I found online.

I can send all of it, or just the Kyri stuff, or whatever combo you want.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  00:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Kyriani was a character from the AD&D comic, another who has made it into canon sources. She's a very attractive and quite "friendly" half-elf mage who owns a tavern in Waterdeep's Dock Ward.

She is a personal friend of Selūne, an agent of Khelben's, and a Moonstar. She helped Selūne fight Shar during the Time of Troubles, and she also helped when two Manshoons popped up in Waterdeep and started duking it out...

I'd like to see more on the ever-lovely Kyriani myself.

EDIT: Just saw your response above. Just the Kyriani info would be fine, thanks (like, does she like Lupins?) ;)

Edited by - Ardashir on 04 Oct 2006 00:28:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  00:54:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

I'd like to see more on the ever-lovely Kyriani myself.

EDIT: Just saw your response above. Just the Kyriani info would be fine, thanks (like, does she like Lupins?) ;)

Well, since this thread, the City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook came out and statted Kyri for 3.5. That's where this pic of her appears:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cosw_gallery/90426.jpg

I'm not fond of that pic... Though it doesn't focus on her, she looks much better in this pic from Cloak & Dagger:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/CnD/38.jpg

Kyriani is the one with leather and cleavage. The other is Laeral. The two guys fighting each other are Manshoon and Manshoon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  01:18:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not fond of that pic... Though it doesn't focus on her, she looks much better in this pic from Cloak & Dagger:

Kyriani is the one with leather and cleavage. The other is Laeral. The two guys fighting each other are Manshoon and Manshoon.
I never really liked Kyri displayed in this way... it doesn't do her character any particular justice to be shown in such a fashion.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  08:18:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me shallow, but Kyri in leathers is the only part of that picture I like. The illustrations in Cloak and Dagger are generally great but between the "spell effects" and Lareal's ( I always thought that was Ashemi) little dance this picture falls a little short. It is still better than the one in City of Splendour though.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  14:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Call me shallow, but Kyri in leathers is the only part of that picture I like. The illustrations in Cloak and Dagger are generally great but between the "spell effects" and Lareal's ( I always thought that was Ashemi) little dance this picture falls a little short. It is still better than the one in City of Splendour though.

I didn't like the City of Splendor one eithor...my impression they were trying to make her into a "true" half-drow...but they didn't give her the grey skin of a half-drow, more of a dusky skin...

and by-the-by and I'v never been fond of the "half-drow" label, though I know technically she is a half-drow

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  18:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I missed it! :weep:
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  18:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kyriani is the one with leather and cleavage.

Everything looks bettr with cleavage. ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000