Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Salvatore, then ...?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  21:49:18  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does no one but Salvatore know how to write? I've enjoyed all his FR books (he's starting to wind down a bit in his recent books; he should write some more non-Drizzt books), but I had to force myself to finish "Daugher of the Drow" (I kept hoping it'd get better) and I'm having trouble making myself finish "Silverfall" (I keep hoping it'll get better).

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  22:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree. I have just this minute finished reading Daughter of the Drow and LOVED it! Cant wait to start reading Tangled Webs! I found DotD a really good read, nothing like the hard reading of Greenwood-style. Also check out the WotSQ series and the Sembia series, theyre all extremely well written and I think that the active authors of the Realms currently are the best we have ever had! The quality of novels over the past year or so have has been fantastic....IMHO!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  22:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, take a look at Elaine Cunningham's work....it is simply fantastic...

My favorite is Evermeet: Island of Elves...

There are also WONDERFUL short stories to be had by folks like Dave Gross, Jeff Grubb, David Cook, etc...all over the place!!!

Expand, man!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  22:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim
My favorite is Evermeet: Island of Elves...

No?! Surely not?! <sarcasm off>

I really must get around to reading Evermeet, I think I will learn to embrace it just as you have ArionElenim. Im saving it for a rainy day

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  23:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Eyes Rad with annoyance...sigh)

ah well.....read the book before you criticize, one and all! :)

OH, Rad, you haven't read it yet? I've been doing ads for that book here forever!!!...I think by now Elaine Cunningham owes me a kickback...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  23:18:36  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ArionElenim:

>Yeah, take a look at Elaine Cunningham's work....it is simply
>fantastic...

Well, I thought "Daughter of the Drow" was *OK* in some parts, but not enough to make me want to read any other FR stuff by her.

I don't like short stories (by anyone), so I'm no likely to read anything by those other authors you mentioned. I will admit that I've only read FR works by three authors other than Salvatore, but so far, I'm not very impressed. I should take up WotC up on that call for a new novel mentioned in another thread (assuign it's for real), because I know I can write better than Ed Greenwood. I think "Silverfall" is really boring. About the only reason I'm reading it is so I can bone up on some non-Drizzt-connected FR stuff for DMing.

I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings, and I promise that if someone says they think Robert E. Howard is a lousy writer, I won't take it personally.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  03:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Bookwyrm walks in, takes a look at what has been said, and promptly slaps both Rad and Branmakmuffin upside the head.]

Shame on you both!!

Rad, I can't believe you've hung around this site as long as you have, and yet have NOT read E:IoE. Why, it's a source book with plot! And it's a good read! Now move it!

And Mr. Muffin. Yes, DotD is slow. But it's not her best work by far. Now, you march yourself out right now and buy Elfshadow. In fact, pick up Elfsong while you're at it. Scratch that, get all of Songs and Swords. Now. GO!!!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  04:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Rad, I can't believe you've hung around this site as long as you have, and yet have NOT read E:IoE.

Some folk just do not fully appreciate the books they have on their shelves

[Wipes one inch of dust off Rads shelves]

I bet there are folks out here that have not touched half of the books that have been written about the Realms. I know I am just scratching the surface.

Rad reads like nobody I know these days, and he manages to squeeze in a social life at the same time. I am sure he will get around to reading every single book published one day.

[Picks Rad up off the floor from what looks like some intense slapping at the side of the head]

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  05:14:59  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DOJ saunters in casually and listens to the conversation.

Some might think I am being heretical, but while I enjoy Greenwood, I can't say he's the best author. Elaine really is good. The Bookwyrm is correct for once.

Yes I am marking the day as we speak.

Just know that though they may not write many books, there are several books that are impressive. Look at the Avatar Trilogy, for instance. Not only is it a privital series in FR, but it was very enjoyable.

All I am saying is while Salvatore is one of the best writers out there, do not discount the one hit wonders.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  18:32:37  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm:

>[Bookwyrm walks in, takes a look at what has been said, and promptly
>slaps both Rad and Branmakmuffin upside the head.]

No way. I'm the incorporeal reincarnation of the Headless Horseman

<snip> (can you tell I'm more comfortable with Usenet than with web-based bulletin boards?)

>And Mr. Muffin. Yes, DotD is slow. But it's not her best work by
>far. Now, you march yourself out right now and buy Elfshadow. In
>fact, pick up Elfsong while you're at it. Scratch that, get all of
>Songs and Swords. Now. GO!!!

If it's available in one of my locally handy library systems, I will. Not surprisingly, all of Salvatore's stuff is all over the place, but the availability of other FR authors is spotty.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  19:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Rad, I can't believe you've hung around this site as long as you have, and yet have NOT read E:IoE. Why, it's a source book with plot! And it's a good read! Now move it!

::hangs head in shame::
I know, i know, ive no excuse I WILL get round to reading it, but NOTHING is gonna get in the way of Lords of Stormweather right now!!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  02:00:14  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DOJ frowns silently pondering something before holding up a slightly shamed hand.

Work's been a bit overwhelming lately, just so you know my excuse in advance. Lords of Stormweather?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  06:49:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

If it's available in one of my locally handy library systems, I will. Not surprisingly, all of Salvatore's stuff is all over the place, but the availability of other FR authors is spotty.

Actually, in my county's library system, the only FR books carried are Salvatore's . . . actually, only Drizzt books. I feel sorry for people who see that and think that Drizzt is the Forgotten Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by DragonofJustice

DOJ frowns silently pondering something before holding up a slightly shamed hand.

Work's been a bit overwhelming lately, just so you know my excuse in advance. Lords of Stormweather?

Bookwyrm quickly sidles away from DoJ, so as not to be hit by any flames. At the curious looks, he quickly says, "Oh, I just see him around sometimes . . . ."

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  19:32:51  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm:

Luckily, I have three fairly sizeable library systems within easy reach. And I see that one of them now has all of Douglas Niles' Moonshae and Druidhome books, so I'll give them a whirl. I think I recall liking at least some of his modules.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  21:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Gags] Maybe his moduals were good, but don't be thinking the books are too. After Moonshae, Druidhome, and Maztica, I automatically dismiss Niles' books out of hand.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  23:12:29  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm:

Not a big fan of Niles, eh? I only *think* I remember liking his modules(it's been a zillion years since I played/DM'd (A)D&D).
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  06:49:32  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The little wyrm has a point. Niles FR books tend to . . .what is the description I am looking for . . . I know, they make one narcaleptic. Though the watershed trilogy. . .but not an FR's series.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DragonofJustice:

Are Niles' books at least worth reading for incerasing one's FR background knowledge for DMing? I'm not going to *buy* any books, I'm only going to read the ones I can get at my library, and some of Niles' are among those.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  17:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sure. Ask him, not me.

Go ahead and read them, since you won't be doling out any money. From a learn-about-the-places point of view, I guess they aren't too bad. You did say you might have liked his moduals, and if you look at them as a learning tool it might be better. However, as novels, they kinda suck. (To put it bluntly.) Don't bother with Maztica, anyway -- you won't be DMing there, and it's basically a Cortez-in-the-Realms story.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  18:16:00  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortunately, the Maztica novels are not available at my libraries.

I would never read anything having anything to do with Maztica (unless it had a *lot* to do with Amn), because the cover of the campaign sourcebook looks really dumb. It doesn't even look worth the time to print out the free PDF, even at someone else's expense. I marvel at the amount of lame crap TSR/WotC cranked out.

I live to judge books by their covers.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  21:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. Some of the best paintings I've ever seen were for books. In fact, two books that I have I bought partially because I'd seen the images online and liked them. (Notably Her Majesty's Wizard . . . a guy in jeans and sneakers being knighted by a princess who has to use a stick in place of a sword while a dragon with torn wings looks on. I took one look at that and was just dying to know what was going on . . . .)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000