Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Artifacts of the Realms:
(a few sample 'suggested means of destrution)

Crenshinibon, the Crystal Shard: Crenshinibon can be destroyed by seven good-aligned archliches and a powerful aasimon who rediscover the ritual used to create the relic and reverse the casting. This process results in the destruction of all the archliches and the banishment of the aasimon.

Crown of Horns: The Crown must be buried in the crumbled remains of 100 destroyed demiliches.

Dawnstone: The Dawnstone must be transported to the ninth layer of Baator and touched by the eldest pit fiend in existence.
or The Dawnstone must be bathed in Shar's dark kiss for an eternal night lasting a thousand years. (notice the combination of eternal and a thousand years)

The Gatekeeper's Crystal: The Crystal will be destroyed if kept within a living, vibrant mythal for 1001 years.

Guardian's Tear: The Tear must be envoloped by 1001 magic elementals for 1001 years without being disturbed as it slowly fades away.

And so it carries on. What where they *thinking*???

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  18:03:56  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense meant Echon, but are you aware that you're reading a work of Volothamp Geddarm?

Just look at the various comments Elminster makes in the books... Not everything Volo mentions is the truth. He might have things right at times, but just as often it could be a work of the small wizard's imagination...

In other words, though the books are considered canon, not all the contents is the hard truth. That is once again up to the DMs.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  18:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to admit that I forgot to take that into consideration. I viewed it as a work of Ed Greenwood and not Volothamp.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  23:00:41  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's a great thing to have this none canon but still official infos. Like the rumors in elminter's ecology. It makes me feel that toril is alive
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  23:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But it is canon, is it not?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  06:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Volo was supposed to have gotten in trouble with the Waterdhavian Mages' Guild for that . . . something about too many trade secrets.

Echon, while as I've said many a time I don't know dittlysquat about campaigning, I think this sounds like an "internal" resourse -- something to give a view of how Realmsians view magic. It sounds like that to me, anyway, and it would make sense to have a resource showing some things from the point of view of a character, and not a DM.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  21:08:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what you are asking - if its the nature of destroying artifacts then Ed and Eric were just following the established 'rules' for the game - destroting artifacts has always been of the Epic Quest variety (like LoTR) and involves some strange circumstances and ingrediants to succeed!

quote:
And so it carries on. What where they *thinking*???

-Echon

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - Alaundo on 05 Mar 2003 22:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  07:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
100 destroyed demicliches? Makes a trip to Mount Doom look like a walk in the forest. I am not even sure that I, as a DM, would say that there are that many demiliches in the Realms.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000