Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The greatest robbery in the history of waterdeep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

I am looking for opinions what would be the worst place to rob in Waterdeep in terms of difficulty and what could one expect to get out of this location in terms of wealth? Im looking to run a great train robery,Ultimate heist sort of adventure any ideas would be grand.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2006 :  10:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firhyanda

Greetings

I am looking for opinions what would be the worst place to rob in Waterdeep in terms of difficulty and what could one expect to get out of this location in terms of wealth? Im looking to run a great train robery,Ultimate heist sort of adventure any ideas would be grand.

My friend you are in luck

Check out The Kiss of the Goddess hook in Waterdeep and the North

The Goods: The Kiss of the Goddess is an Artifact/Relic of Sune

The Crime scene: Piergeiron's Palace in Waterdeep

Now if thats not a Faeruns answer to the Great train robbery I dont know what is!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  04:19:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always being intrigued by ahghairon's tower. the slim stone tower of the original first lord of waterdeep. it is surrounded by invisible magical barriers, that suspend the skeletal remains of a wizard who had tried to get into the tower.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  15:52:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The House of the Moon as well I'd bet to be warded well, what with Sharrans thinking it a prime target.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  02:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Black Viper has managed to pull some amazing stunts during her career...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  18:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck with penetrating the wards of Khelbens tower and robbing him... But perhaps it is to ordinary a target. To obvious. But what a plan it would take... The realms version of Oceans Eleven.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Aielwyn
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  22:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Aielwyn's Homepage Send Aielwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Good luck with penetrating the wards of Khelbens tower and robbing him... But perhaps it is to ordinary a target. To obvious. But what a plan it would take... The realms version of Oceans Eleven.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Any locale that would be considered affluent, one would imagine that the owners would also have the money to pay for its protection. Especially if it's owned by a Lord of Waterdeep.

Or, just take it a bit darker; the First House of Menzoberanzan (or however it's spelled). If you could pull off taking something nifty from a Drow Matron.. in her house.. in the Underdark.. and get away, well.. that's impressive.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  13:58:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aielwyn

quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I agree wholeheartedly.

Any locale that would be considered affluent, one would imagine that the owners would also have the money to pay for its protection. Especially if it's owned by a Lord of Waterdeep.

Or, just take it a bit darker; the First House of Menzoberanzan (or however it's spelled). If you could pull off taking something nifty from a Drow Matron.. in her house.. in the Underdark.. and get away, well.. that's impressive.

I'd say robbing Elaith Craulnobur of his moonblade would be a pretty tough trick.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  05:11:45  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you would rather steal from "good"
Mirt's Mansion
Mirt the Moneylender has a history of having made a fortune with Durnan in Undermountain, so you can justify about any sort of odd baubles you could find in Undermountain. Mirt is also a former Mercenary Captain in addition to being a Lord of Waterdeep.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010523

AFAIK there is no map for his Mansion from any official material.

Edit: Arivia makes a correction on in the next post. There actually is a map.

As far as novels go, Mirt is featured in his mansion in "The City of Splendors, A Waterdeep Novel" coming out in paperback this may (hardcover already available)
Also featured in Elfsong. Here is a sample chapter for Mirt dialog.
http://www.elainecunningham.com/Elfsong,%20sample%20chapter.htm

Besides the elbow room of using Mirt, even if your players get caught Mirt strikes me as just as likly to task the party with another task, as deal with them officially. DM plot device "out of the frying pan into the fire".

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 28 Apr 2006 05:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  05:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

It's at least partially mapped in City System.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  05:35:18  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

It's at least partially mapped in City System.

Uhm, yah that Mirt's Mansion map.
City System: "Map #2"

Thank you Arivia

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  22:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two people here have already hit on a great idea. Steal from a criminal or evil entity. Those types of people are the most protective of their wealth and valuables because they know how the stealing is done in most cases. I would think that sneaking into an event hosted by Lord Paladinson would be fun. Or you could always try to steal something very obvious while at the party that is a possession of Lord Paladinson. Think about the NPC interaction! It would be like Wedding Crashers. You make up a name (make sure your bluff has some serious ranks!) find a reason why you are at the party. Sneak around with several people milling about the property. You might even find out about some underhanded stuff going on that you could stop and bring to light saving the day and when you are up there receiving your award from Lord Paladinson he asks why you were at the party anyways handing you a medallion with a diamond in it that is enchanted. You slip up and say,"Oh, I was just at your place to steal this (chosen target of theft-like Lord Paladinson's sword). Now is the tricky part. Run! Hahahaha, what a gaming session that would be. Of course a little adolescent but fun all the same.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  00:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the theft of Halaster Blackcloak himself probably counts as the most audacious theft in Waterdhavian history. Not quite up there with stealing the Tablets of Fate, perhaps, but certainly impressive....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  21:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny you should mention that. I was reading some 2nd edition materials on WotC website and The Fall of Myth Drannor resource talked about how a guild in Myth Drannor stole creatures from Undermountain without asking Halaster for permission or doing anything in repayment. So....... Halaster started to kidnap mages and make them work for him or kill them as payment. Now here is the funny thing. The guild was worried by all the disappearing members for like 15 years before they figured out what was happening!!!! Who ever wrote up that bit of lore, well I'd like to shake their hand. I had a good laugh and made a mental note to never steal from Halaster or other madmen. The madman always out steals you.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  22:16:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Funny you should mention that. I was reading some 2nd edition materials on WotC website and The Fall of Myth Drannor resource talked about how a guild in Myth Drannor stole creatures from Undermountain without asking Halaster for permission or doing anything in repayment. So....... Halaster started to kidnap mages and make them work for him or kill them as payment. Now here is the funny thing. The guild was worried by all the disappearing members for like 15 years before they figured out what was happening!!!! Who ever wrote up that bit of lore, well I'd like to shake their hand. I had a good laugh and made a mental note to never steal from Halaster or other madmen. The madman always out steals you.

The Naturalists. :) And part of that guild is also, with a map, detailed in the Fall of Myth Drannor box set.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  03:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew it was something earthy sounding! Kuje saves the day once again.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  05:08:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I knew it was something earthy sounding! Kuje saves the day once again.

:) Well, I recall the name because I made some NPC's that are Naturalists and I believe I have some questions about them that Ed never answered.... hmmm.... I've asked so many questions that I've forgotten some of them. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000