Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A small riot regarding baked goods?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  19:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

In my current weekly water deep campaign I find myself in need of a small riot regarding baked goods. There for I am brainstorming, what I am looking for is a monster from any source that could inspire rioting with a supernatural ability and or spell effect. A purely Farunian beast would as always be given prferance. Thanks in advace.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:40:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why you need a monster to cause bread riots. you might consier nold, lack of grain, or more matural reasons for a btread shortagem and thus the riots. If you need a coruptimg monster with imteligance, Cleric is one way to go (casting blight for example).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything with mind control or confusion abilities like a succubus, an umberhulk, or an illithid
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Famine Spirit (MM2)???? Of course you would need a natural lack of food or something of the sort. However, this monster is like a CR 21 and it is an undead monster that spawns from a person who dies of hunger and bad juju stuff happens etc etc. Maybe this helps. I hope it does.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  14:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the adventures on the Wizards site had a calzone/pizza golem (or something of the sort) in it....I can't remember off hand which one it is though
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  21:36:30  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sacrilege! Do not use the official DnD food of choice with such wanton carelessness! At least wait until one of the players is suffering from idegestion before unleashing such a monstrousity. I kid of course. I can imagine the look of confusion my players would give me once I startered an encounter with said calzone/pizza golem. They would be lowering the pizza in their hands back to their plates and reaching for their d20's eyeing their pizza like it had just betrayed them. I shall have to try this pizza golem in the future.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  00:49:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

One of the adventures on the Wizards site had a calzone/pizza golem (or something of the sort) in it....I can't remember off hand which one it is though
~Kes

Looks like it's this one. :)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Cooking.pdf

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  01:44:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

~Kes

It's Pizza the Hutt!

Kuje: Crap, I hit the wrong button. :(

Edit: Ah... either that, or I was starting to think you'd gotten lazy .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2006 05:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  05:12:31  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

~Kes

It's Pizza the Hutt!

HAHAHAH. :)

Hello-

Did'nt he eat himself to death while stuck in a limo?

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  05:37:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

~Kes

It's Pizza the Hutt!

Grin, hahaha.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  06:00:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Did'nt he eat himself to death while stuck in a limo?

Dhomal

Indeed he did.

-- In relation to the adventure itself however... I'm curious about how this particular calzone golem was "defeated" in campaigns?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 May 2006 06:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  15:24:56  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

~Kes

It's Pizza the Hutt!

Grin, hahaha.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. We never used it in a campaign, but Tifus and I had a good laugh about it when we read it.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode D.N.A. where Listers mutton vindaloo gets transformed into a super-beast (akin to a vindaloo golem )

The beast is defeated with cans of lager, the only thing that can kill a vindaloo
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:12:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until just now, I wondered what a vindaloo was... A song I like mentions them, but I'd never looked them up.

Back on topic, did the spell virus charm get updated to 3E? I was thinking it could be used to start a riot -- particularly if the caster convinced the crowd that a group of bakers had deliberately used tainted/poisoned ingredients.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  01:59:10  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need for a spell. An outbreak of ergotism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism - could bring the wrath of a neighborhood down on the local bakers, not to mention the hallucinations that can be symptomatic in such an outbreak.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/

Edited by - TheHermit on 03 May 2006 02:07:13
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  00:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheHermit

No need for a spell. An outbreak of ergotism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism - could bring the wrath of a neighborhood down on the local bakers, not to mention the hallucinations that can be symptomatic in such an outbreak.

... And to keep it "Realmsian," have the ergot plague caused by Talona. Disease -- famine -- madness with violent hallucinations ... what more could you want?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000