Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Any ideas on possible well poison?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berwick
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  01:28:24  Show Profile Send Berwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Players in my game may quit reading NOW!

I have a nefarious plot that includes poisoning some city wells in Cormyr.

I know how and when it will happen, I just don't happen to have any particually amazing poisons to use.

The enemies include the Zhentarim, and a homebrew organization that has it fingers everywhere.

Any ideas? (I own all 3rd ed. + FR books, so book and page number is enough thanks)

I really appreicate your help

Thanks in advance!
Berwick

EDT: Fixed Smily Madnes!

Edited by - Berwick on 19 Apr 2006 03:56:37

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  01:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it's a disease, creating small worms or other creatures carrying deathsong(Book of Vile Darkness 30) would be very, very evil.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  04:28:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A DM does not need the books for a poison, though could offer idea of poisoned creatures inflicting the wells.

Striped toadstool, Arsenic, Id moss, Oil of taggit, Lich dust and Dark reaver powder are core poisons that could be put into a well or other water supply.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  06:44:17  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When poisoning wells, I recommend good old fashioned lead. :)

Just think of an entire city slowly going insane and dying.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm i would go with natural herbs etc to posion ppl that way it gives more of a posssibility that the poisoning was a natural occurence etc. = less suspicious.

i take it we need to use ingested poisons in a well to be effective.
so i came up with cretel leaf residue (dc14 initial: 1d4 con, bonus 2 dex, secondary: 1d6 con. craft dc 20. 150gp.
ID Moss (dc14 1d4 int, secondary 2d6 int. craft dc 15. 125gp)
the cretel leaf residue might be more effective but id moss is easier to manufacture, cheaper and could make the inhabitants incapable of recognizeing the problem or trying to figure out what to do about it.
just be sure to have some of the plant it comes from growing around town maybe even near the well to allay suspicions of bad intent.

edit: oh and those are both on pg 37 of the Arms and Equipment guide.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 19 Apr 2006 15:48:38
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  21:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also dropping a cursed item into the well to poison it.

Though I really like the "good old fashioned lead" idea.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  23:16:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toss in a dead animal. As it decays, it will sicken people. But, if someone investigates, it's not overly obvious that it was a deliberate act -- the animal could have fallen in and drowned.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  23:37:29  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or one step up from the dead animal. Set a bunch of zombies to patrol in the water supply.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  00:30:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Or one step up from the dead animal. Set a bunch of zombies to patrol in the water supply.

While that does work, it's rather more obvious than my idea.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  02:09:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but mine's nastier

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  02:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, but mine's nastier

Mine's even eviler.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  03:40:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Ah, but mine's nastier

Mine's even eviler.

Eviler? Is that a word?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  05:28:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Ah, but mine's nastier

Mine's even eviler.

Eviler? Is that a word?

It is now

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  15:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not infect the zombies with the worms? Anyone who thought they solved the problem by casting cure disease, would only find the people are still getting sick and dying.

Anyone who thought they solved the problem by killing the zombies, is now infected themselves, and the waters are still tainted by ikky worms.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer the dead animal version... it's simple. Why go through so much pains to do something like the curse/poison etc when those could be detected by magic?

Throw a couple dead animals/parts into the wells and wait. This being Cormyr most people will think it is magical... plus you could frame the butcher, butler...whomever...

Why use a broadsword when a dagger to the kidneys can have a better and a funner effect?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000