Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sellswords
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  20:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I ran into this word a number of times while reading the novels, I can't make it out though. Can anyone help me out here?

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  20:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess Mercenaries; Someone who kills or fights for money

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  20:23:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's a term for mercenaries. They sell their swords to their employer, in a manner of speaking (not actually, but they sell their sword-swinging services).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  20:44:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I could find only two hits on WotC site.

quote:
If the characters are obviously armed as wandering adventurers or sellswords, he eyes them speculatively and offers them an alternative:

quote:
The work has never been easy, and many are the sellswords and intrepid companies that have fallen to the trolls, orcs, and other marauding creatures that have preyed on the highway.

By all appearence these are people for hire, I would expect the term generally appeared to sword wielders, but if can cast a few spells it could increase the pay. In dicussions about them on the web it appears that they in general are thought better of then assassins, but not much. I suspect it depends on the imdividual, but it appears to be a belief that sellswords will take a job killing goblin as long as the otcs pay them. However if the goblins offer a better contact will kill orcs for goblins.
That they do not care about the job as long as they are paid. More or less individuals as oposed to a company, member of arny or member of an order that look to their own pay and personal values.

There might be an official deffinition of such peple, however I could not find one.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  21:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  22:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it being going too far by labeling Sellswords the Forgotten Realms version of Contractors?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  22:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Would it being going too far by labeling Sellswords the Forgotten Realms version of Contractors?

I think that contractors is a slightly misleading term. Sure it could technically fit that they are contracted to perform particular duties, but personally I would keep the word 'contractors' separate from sellswords/hirelings/mercenaries.
Leave contractors to its current common meaning.
Of course, you may feel free to call them what ever you like in your game. :)

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  23:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then of course you get sub-contractors....

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000