Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Time Travel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  03:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had read in some 2e source, Arcane Age accessories, that time travel was severly limited by Mystryl. But as I was searching around the other day I ran into this.

I had been looking for more info on a different set of time gates which apparently are also in that Arcane Age accessory.

So do people know if this has been revised in 3e? In the 2e source it specificly said wizards look to time travel would fail due to the rules in place and eventually conclude only Time Conduit would work but this article contradicts it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  04:07:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite this article, 3E really hasn't addressed time travel. 2E didn't address it much; I only know of a couple references to it outside of the Chronomancer supplement.

While newer lore trumps older lore, I think of these portals as being more of an alternate, previously undiscovered method of time travel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  04:09:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article appears to be 3.X material. While it is not timestamped as the when written the _Perilous Gateways_ are AFAIK a recent series that started with 3.5 , but perhaps 3.0 might of had one.

I do not recall any other current souce that deals with time in this manner.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Vainelus
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  14:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Vainelus's Homepage Send Vainelus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr Empire of Elves has a good section on the rules and regulations of time travel set by Mystryl.

Edited by - Vainelus on 03 Jun 2006 14:18:42
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  14:18:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would say also that newer lore trumps older lore.... except in this instance. Chronomancer had a better ruleset to prevent players from easily going back in time and mucking with things. For instance, sure a construct isn't alive, but it is sentient of sorts (hell, even a skeleton is sentient of sorts... it responds to commands and makes its limbs move). Therefore, said being should have a "lifeline" and the idea of you being unable to double your lifeline was a very stabilizing feature of chronomancer. Later with a very powerful spell you could sever your lifeline, but even that to me becomes something overly powerful (but a little house rule that you can't "triple" your lifeline gives the spell the intended purpose while providing some measure of control).
How does this affect this current article? Well, they keep reusing the same construct to go back in time. Therefore, they'd all end up sitting in this cave at the same time until modern day catches up. How does this not cause a paradox? Even worse, if players get ahold of this concept, what prevents them from sending the same construct back 500 times to wait in some cave all with the instructions to wait unless given new orders via X construct (some different kind). Then they send back X construct that goes back with instructions to override all the others and tell them invade some elven land. So, with the construction of a pair of constructs and using this time gate, they could then overwhelm nations and reform the world. Why? Because all those constructs are still ignoring each other and only listening to X construct... and that's the ruleset that this person wrote up for stopping a paradox.
Also, they try to balance the spell with a mundane component that they don't associate a cost to. Therefore for many this would constitute a component that could be ignored with eschew materials.
Finally, you could still include this realmslore into your campaign. The things that you would need to change of course would be that a new "probe" must be created for each sending back. Theoretically, they could send back undead, but non-sentient undead would likely fall apart before aging to the current time and most incorporeal undead would be sentient enough that once whatever spell used to control them were gone they'd leave. Similarly, demons used in this fashion would all go sit in the cave and wait for enough of them to be there and find some way to overwhelm the "past" versions of those monks, then they'd seize the portal. So, the monks would probably be stuck with the same idea of using constructs, but having to build a new one each time with all the attendant costs. So, maybe they end up making cheaper constructs... oh, but those tend to get destroyed... you get the idea.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000