Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 What FR product would you like next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  14:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondered what product you would all like to see Wizards of the Coast develop for the Realms next.

Personally I would love to see a book containing maps and details on numerous cities of the Faerun. Much like the pages in the back of the FRA hardcover book. Two pages per location, a map on one page and description of rulers, population, notabile locations, background etc.

I think this would be very useful for many DM's as well as an enjoyable reference for Realmslore gatherers.

Rad

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  13:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be great, I just love maps :P
I would also like to see a regional book on places like lost empires, that haven't been covered for real in a long time.

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  18:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... before i go into the stuff that i wouldn't mind seeing... open the FR campaign setting 3rd Ed book... to page 231... note all the UNKNOWN lands on the map that is strangely similar to the earth's map... but that's beside the point...
how about something that starts to explore all these unknown lands? Maztica (strangely similar to central america... and maybe the aztecs or was it mayans down there?) seems to be the only one with much done on... and that's little.

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  20:12:21  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like some stats for big Dwarven places, or the Red citadel.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  13:49:37  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Marches contains information about two dwarven citadels (Adbarr and Fellbar), and I expect to see some more detail along those lines in Races of Faerun.

As for the Terra Incognita on the Realms world map... IMO I'll probably never go there. Faerun (The North, Western Heartlands, Heartlands, Empires of the Sands etc) has more then enough locales that offer more then enough variety to adventure.

The 'problem' (or should I say difficulty) I have with maps is that they tend to easily distort the distances. Take for instance the distance between Loudwater and Waterdeep. Not much if you look at the map, but take a similar distance in the real world and see how much terrain and potential hazards one could encounter along the way.

In other words there is so much Terra Ingocnita on the known maps that I haven't seen enough of the Realms yet to go and visit the other continents on the world map.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  14:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly what ive always thought Mumadar. I always look at the scale of Realms maps, some being like 1 inch=100 miles or more, and wonder at the lands and features contained in that area where the map shows just grasslands\plains. I feel that due to the designers being American (no offence) that the Realms is done on a huge scale with very few features, where there is nothing to remark on for hundreds of miles, whereas over here in li'l England, we can have 4 castles within a 5 mile radius! The Volos guides always seemed to pad out a lot of the previously sparse lands.

In my campaign, I fill any areas of land with numerous villages, woodlands and other natural features, as well as small castles, forts and outposts. The old 2nd Edition products: Country Sites, City Sites (and i think there was another) always comes in handy.

I always thought that areas such as the Hordelands and certainly KaraTur are far too vast and featureless.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  15:50:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Exactly what ive always thought Mumadar. I always look at the scale of Realms maps, some being like 1 inch=100 miles or more, and wonder at the lands and features contained in that area where the map shows just grasslands\plains. I feel that due to the designers being American (no offence) that the Realms is done on a huge scale with very few features, where there is nothing to remark on for hundreds of miles, whereas over here in li'l England, we can have 4 castles within a 5 mile radius! The Volos guides always seemed to pad out a lot of the previously sparse lands.

In my campaign, I fill any areas of land with numerous villages, woodlands and other natural features, as well as small castles, forts and outposts. The old 2nd Edition products: Country Sites, City Sites (and i think there was another) always comes in handy.

I always thought that areas such as the Hordelands and certainly KaraTur are far too vast and featureless.

If you think that's the american influence... look at some of the city maps. They almost without exception display carefully laid out plans in somtimes almost geometrical designs. Almost every place is without a centre. How un-natural. Most villages grew, almost organically and that growth pattern is almost universaly visible in cities and villages all over the world. At least those older then 200 years or so...

(PS: anyone ever notice that most dungeon and building features are almost always at either 90 or 45 degrees angles with eachother or have perfect circles and semi-circles?)

Due to detail contraints and almost un-readability of the maps I understand that not every village, hamlet or thorp has been displayed on the maps. Not all of them are even covered in the various Volo's guides. Some of this is to allow DM creativity.

You are right to assume that several areas on the map do have some of these small places or even out of the way castles and towers. Though they tend to be roughly within a few days walking distance of the sites shown on the maps (or Volo's Guides)

Yet do take in mind some of the nature of the areas. Due to natural circumstances or monster infestation some areas will be almost empty and featureless when it comes to 'man'-made structures
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000