Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Warlocks and those banned from the Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:11:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all, thinking about Warlocks made me wonder about this. I can picture someone that wants to use magic but doesn't have enough talent making a bargain to become a warlock, whatever creature he implores. But can someone that is cut off from becoming a sorcerer or wizard still become a Warlock, since they are essentially chanelling something elses power as their own? For example, Karsites, from the Tome of Magic are not allowed to become spell casters, because of their tie to Karsus, but can become binders. Would they be able to be Warlocks?

Just wondering what the prevailing opinions are out there. Thanks for your time.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  02:13:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just it depends in part what version you are using. This version: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20050630a indicates an inate ability to cast magic because of the evil gene.
quote:
The warlock's dark heritage gives him a limited array of useful powers. Most warlocks carry at least a small taint of evil

Cha is a casting prime ability, the same as becoming a Sor. I do not see how the rules prevent even evil gene charaters taking Wiz or Sor (without reading the 3.X Tome of Magic) but selecting a deity might of course do this.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000