Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spellfire Weilder as a Template
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:12:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know why this occured to me, but I was wondering if anyone had ever given any thought to a "Spellfire Weilder" template. Having the only way to express it in game terms be a PrC doesn't make much sense, as that implies that it is something one can learn, and while I understand that one get get training in how to hone one's abilities, its not a "I think I'll learn how to throw spellfire today" kind of thing. If anything, if you are born with it, it should be a base class like sorcerer, but I don't really like that option either, especially to represent something that shows up only once in a blue moon, and beyond that, making it any kind of class implies that it has to be balanced. Shandril blew up dracoliches and Manshoon with it.

So I was wondering if it might not work out better as a template. It could be like the "half" templates, where the abilities you have go up depending on what hit dice you are (and if they start out really powerful, could really explain why tons of groups would want a spellfire weilder either dead or on their side). I imagine the level adjustment could choke a Tarrasque, but at least it would work out for what it is intended for then.

I was also thinking that there might be some room for Spellfire Wielder feats to show continued training in Spellfire ability. They would be useless for almost anyone except the extreemly rare spellfire weilder, but they could show more specific skills and talents.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:20:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerun references this. It covers spellfire as a supernatural ability.The PRC referenced within, is a spellfire channeler, a person, who has been identified as having this"gift" and has practiced and honed his/ her skills.

Additionally the spellfire weilder feat is used for someone who was born with this ability, not just someone, who woke up and said hey, I am leveling up today, I think I will add this feat to my file.

Edited by - scererar on 04 Jun 2006 03:21:17
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  04:21:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sorry for the imprecise terminology. I wrote this at work so I couldn't reference Magic of Faerun, but I still would like to see an over the top template for this sort of thing . . .
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  18:08:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see this as a template instead of a feat and two prestige classes.... or even a base class. I love my base classes better then I enjoy prestige classes. :)

But that's my issue with the 3/3.5e rules and my disagreement with the whole feat/prestige class for abilities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:36:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not too sure about this...

A template has some merit, I agree... but I've never really been a fan of 3e templates -- there's the odd couple that really make sense according to the lore, but others seem to exist "just for the sake of presenting" the next cool thing as a template to use in your games. But that's only partly due to my own feelings with regard to 3e mechanics.

I've never used spellfire in my campaigns partly because I have yet to find a translation of the magic system that satisfies me completely. Spellfire exists in my campaign, of course, as part of Ed's work with the setting... I'm just not sure "how" it can be presented in my campaign.

As it is... I'm actually happier with and more interested in Ed's working of Spellfire as presented in VGtATM. That's how I'd like to see Spellfire translated into my Realms. But I have no idea how to reflect that 2e system into 3e.

Would it be a template? Would it be like the feat and two prestige class system we've got in 3e?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  04:17:22  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the way it was done in 2ed, there is almost no way to simulate it by existing 3.X rules.
Looking at the 2ed rules for it, the leveling appears to be a record keeping nightmare.
Something can be done if one wanted to incorperate a similar nightmare (I have thought of a few ideas, some may or may not work)
Template is close, and may be the best choice, if sticking to current rules.

I'm thinking it would be at least an LA+3 if the higher spellfire powers are used and or follow 2ed rules closely (like recharging by the sunlight).
Otherwise, it would still be at least an LA+2
I think I'm being lenient with the LA also.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  04:34:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that I would never let a PCs have it, LA would be a formality at any rate, or a least a rough estimate if they ran into someone that had the ability. I was looking at the VGTATM entries myself, and it would make for a complicated template, but I like that better then the current system . . .
Go to Top of Page

Aaron L
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  21:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Aaron L's Homepage Send Aaron L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a template would be the best bet, with a complementing prestige class.

It isnt something learned but instad an inborn ability, which would be a template. Maybe +1 or 2 LA.

But it is something you could learn to get better with, which would be a class. But I dont see it as a full class, it isnt in the same league as an archetype like fighter to qualify for a full class. Perhaps as KnightErrant mentioned feats would be better than a PrC, though. That way it wouldnt have the clutter of class skills and hit dice and such associated with a class. A Commonner stays a Commoner, with approptiate skills and combat ability, but takes Spellfire feats to represant devoting his time to learning to wield Spellfire with more skill.

Maybe the only prerequisite would be the Spellfire Wielder template and a few ranks in concentration. That way even a commoner could get into it after a few levels, maybe 3 or so.

Shandril would have had the Spellfire Wielder template, had a few levels in commoner, maybe one or two in rogue, and then gone into the Spellfire Channeler prestige class.

"Sustenance is not frivolous."

Edited by - Aaron L on 05 Jun 2006 21:23:58
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  00:57:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron L

Shandril would have had the Spellfire Wielder template, had a few levels in commoner, maybe one or two in rogue, and then gone into the Spellfire Channeler prestige class.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking as well. It was pretty clear in the books that while she should be powerful enough to blow up Manshoon or the odd dracolich here or there if they were overconfident, if a skilled combantant got within arms reach of her, she should still be in deep poo doo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000